COVID 19 Facts and Science

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That virus spread fast as lightning and it was a little bit frightening

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’m exhausted by the mask discussion at this point.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>
    It’s not the FLU MATTT!!!! )

You’re right.

It’s the kung-flu.

Agreed and lol’d.

blank

That virus spread fast as lightning and it was a little bit frightening

jester applause

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

How about going back to the number of cases then. grin

International tests per capita

testing programs should be scaled to the size of their epidemic, not the size of the population. In this visualization, you’ll see that several countries effectively controlled the spread of the virus through testing programs that had a far lower number of tests per capita than the U.S. Meanwhile, despite having the highest rate of tests per capita, the U.S. faces the largest outbreak in the world and new cases continue to trend upwards in many states.

The source is from Our World Data which I have looked at a few times and has some pretty cool graphs and lets you pick and choose the data you want to look at.
    Our World Data

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

So now WHO says the virus can be airborne indoors? WHO pays these people??? 6 months and they still keep changing their policy and info.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

So now WHO says the virus can be airborne indoors? WHO pays these people??? 6 months and they still keep changing their policy and info.

Better question is, WHO do these people think they are?

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/07/global-experts-ignoring-airborne-covid-spread-risky

Another 237 scientists from around the world signed the research letter, which states that studies have demonstrated “beyond all reasonable doubt” that viruses released during normal breathing, talking, and coughing are small enough to remain airborne and pose an infection risk to others nearby. For example, at usual indoor airspeeds, a 5-micrometer (μm) (0.005-millimeter) particle can travel throughout a typical-sized room, settling from a height of about 1.5 meters (roughly 5 feet) onto the floor.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Hospitalizations up in Arizona, Texas, Florida as US nears 3 million COVID-19 cases

Finally in Florida, 43 hospital ICUs in 21 counties, including in Miami, Orlando, and Tampa, have hit capacity.

Sort of interesting because it appears they appear to be at about 75% capacity statewide. https://bi.ahca.myflorida.com/t/ABICC/views/Public/HospitalBedsHospital?%3AshowAppBanner=false&%3Adisplay_count=n&%3AshowVizHome=n&%3Aorigin=viz_share_link&%3AisGuestRedirectFromVizportal=y&%3Aembed=y&%3Adevice=desktop

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Those manatee numbers don’t look good!

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Looks like the WHO is now somewhat including the airborne spread.

Today’s scientific brief on transmission, last updated on Mar 29, covers the latest scientific publications, some of them preprints that haven’t been peer reviewed. The WHO said the brief, which also contains a related Q&A, reflects the work of its health emergencies program and its infection prevention and control experts and was reviewed by outside experts.

The brief includes airborne spread as one of the possible modes of transmission but said studies are needed to determine if viable SARS-CoV-2 can be found in air samples from settings that don’t involve aerosol-generating procedures and what role aerosols might play in transmission.

The WHO said that short-range airborne transmission can’t be ruled out in crowded, inadequately ventilated settings where infected people are present, such as churches, restaurants, and nightclubs where people are shouting, talking, or singing. However, they also note that droplet and fomite transmission could also explain human-to-human transmission in such scenarios and that superspreading events may also play a role in clusters in which airborne spread is a suspected transmission route.

Many questions remain about transmission, though current evidence suggests that the virus primarily transmits though droplet and contact routes, the WHO said. However, studies to explore the role and extent of airborne transmission outside of health facilities, especially in closed settings with poor ventilation, are urgently needed, it added.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Heard a guest on Barrerio yesterday, never got his name or his profession, but he sort of scoffed at the airborne transmission route. He seemed to have some excellent knowledge about this but called airborne transmission rare. Even with dozens of super spreader events that were thoroughly investigated.

I don’t get it. How can you say that droplets and fomites are the main source of transmission when in all the situations where these are effective, airborne particles could be equally effective. At the very least you want want to say they are equally important.

I read somewhere that the WHO has always been reluctant to identify airborne transmission for epidemics because they give the public the impression it can’t be stopped and encourages panic. I’ve also read that airborne transmission is extremely difficult to prove definitively because it is always extremely difficult to capture live virus particles.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

IF you catch a covid droplet in your mouth when talking to a infected person, can you consider it airborne transmission?

A little perspective. Currently Florida COVID deaths are at about the annual death count for the Flu/Pneumonia. So extrapolate that over 12 months and at worst you would have 2Xs the deaths from COVID vs Flu/Pneumonia. Bad, but I don’t know it is worthy of the fear, anxiety and reaction.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If the media focused on the positive aspects of the situation everyone would be calm. Instead they spread fear and panic. I dont know how that can be considered acceptable or even legal. I think that problem is much bigger and needs to be addressed.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

If the media focused on the positive aspects of the situation everyone would be calm. Instead they spread fear and panic. I dont know how that can be considered acceptable or even legal. I think that problem is much bigger and needs to be addressed.

I guess I am too hypnotized by the media…what are the positive aspects you speak of that are illegally not being highlighted enough?

greig john
    Inactive
    Minnesota

Be the change you want to see, ‘zuk!

Tonight, on Suzuki’s Good News Only Network:

“Some of the people that died of Covid were jerks.”
    “I haven’t shaken a sweaty hand in months.”
    “Local introvert thrilled with cancelled plans.”

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

does your mother know you are using her computer again?

Justin riegel

I guess I am too hypnotized by the media…what are the positive aspects you speak of that are illegally not being highlighted enough?

Just one that comes to mind is hospitalizations and ICU numbers continue to drop. ICU patients are 33 less from 2 weeks ago and total hospitalizations are lowest they have been since mid march 227 total MN residents in the hospital. The peak was 606 in early June. Seems to me the curve was flattened and that should be celebrated.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Deaths are decreasing across the board, even in AZ. WI has had 13 deaths in the last week, and MN has 29 deaths in the last week. Both significant downward trends, and way down from the peak in MN of 35 deaths 5/28 and 22 deaths on 5/27 in Wisconsin.

greig john
    Inactive
    Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>greig john wrote:</div>

does your mother know you are using her computer again?

Of course.
    I earn my internet time when I sponge bathe her and scrape her bunions.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>b-curtis wrote:</div>

Just one that comes to mind is hospitalizations and ICU numbers continue to drop. ICU patients are 33 less from 2 weeks ago and total hospitalizations are lowest they have been since mid march 227 total MN residents in the hospital. The peak was 606 in early June. Seems to me the curve was flattened and that should be celebrated.

I guess we need clarification what ‘media’ is being discussed. I get most of my news in print. The local news seems to point out those types of numbers. On a national level I’m not sure what is being said. Obviously every media outlet (well I’m guessing there is one that is not) is pointing out how bad it is the South. Do they need to follow up with where it is better or what is the request to make these media outlets not to be illegally holding back positive news?

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Deaths are decreasing across the board, even in AZ. WI has had 13 deaths in the last week, and MN has 29 deaths in the last week. Both significant downward trends, and way down from the peak in MN of 35 deaths 5/28 and 22 deaths on 5/27 in Wisconsin.

Maybe true in MN and WI. Otherwise not really true. For example I got this from the media. Maybe it is incorrect? I wouldn’t mind be corrected. Maybe the good news is how small the numbers are? I dunno.

In Texas, officials announced 119 deaths on Wednesday, surpassing a daily record for deaths in the pandemic that the state had set only a day earlier. In Arizona, more than 200 deaths have been announced already this week, and the daily virus death toll in the state reached higher than ever. Mississippi, Florida and Tennessee also set single-day death records this week.

Justin riegel

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

Maybe true in MN and WI. Otherwise not really true.

How about even though Florida (244,151) has slightly more than half have the number cases as New York (425,748) they have roughly 10 times less deaths 32,369 vs 4,221. So the positive is we do our best to keep Covid out LTC facilities versus putting Covid patients back in the better the survival rate is.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

How about even though Florida (244,151) has slight more half have the number cases as New York (425,748) they have 10 times less deaths 32,369 vs 4,221. So the positive is we do our best to keep Covid out LTC facilities versus putting Covid patients back in the better the survival rate is.

Sorry, I edited my comment to add some additional info on ya. Sure that does sound great but I would say give it a couple weeks. Yes treatment is better which I have heard talked about and read about. I guess I am just looking for this big crime that is being committed.

Justin riegel

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Justin riegel wrote:</div>

How about even though Florida (244,151) has slight more half have the number cases as New York (425,748) they have 10 times less deaths 32,369 vs 4,221. So the positive is we do our best to keep Covid out LTC facilities versus putting Covid patients back in the better the survival rate is.

Sorry, I edited my comment to add some additional info on ya. Sure that does sound great but I would say give it a couple weeks. Yes treatment is better which I have heard talked about and read about. I guess I am just looking for this big crime that is being committed.

Print media has been better about things I will agree with that, the local news channels on the other hand. I agree with Suzuki, they spew straight trash.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Hmm ok. I mean I feel the local covers the local and then gives a national report. I’m sure some of the national coverage can be trash…from both the left and right. And I can imagine national news talk shows is nothing but trash when everybody tries to be more outrages than the next for ratings. I can’t imagine why anybody would spend a second of their life watching that.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Maybe true in MN and WI. Otherwise not really true. For example I got this from the media. Maybe it is incorrect? I wouldn’t mind be corrected. Maybe the good news is how small the numbers are? I dunno.

In Texas, officials announced 119 deaths on Wednesday, surpassing a daily record for deaths in the pandemic that the state had set only a day earlier. In Arizona, more than 200 deaths have been announced already this week, and the daily virus death toll in the state reached higher than ever. Mississippi, Florida and Tennessee also set single-day death records this week.

Yeah Texas and Florida are outliers currently, but nationally, locally, and even in a hotspot like AZ the death toll is decreasing.

Texas:
    https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ed483ecd702b4298ab01e8b9cafc8b83

Florida (yesterday was a big drop off from prior trends idk why):
    https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/96dd742462124fa0b38ddedb9b25e429

Arizona:
    https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/epidemiology-disease-control/infectious-disease-epidemiology/covid-19/dashboards/

US:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=us+covid+deaths&oq=us+covid+deaths&aqs=chrome..69i57.2335j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Fish To Escape

A bit of friendly advice on looking at the data: the 7 day moving average will tell you more than each individual day. Stats are not my strongest suit so if someone wants to correct me on that feel free.

A couple of days ago I watched some congressional testimony that I thought was extremely poignant. This doctor was talking about how, for many people, this is their first frontal experience with how science works. They are getting to see the messy early stages of the scientific process. Lots of trial and error, educated guesses that turn out to be wrong etc. This is how science always works and it is actually going really well in terms of the progress scientifically. Unfortunately, too many people are taking the word of experts that are very far from the middle, one way or the other, and that is leading to distrust everywhere. Just found it to be an interesting point

Justin riegel

A bit of friendly advice on looking at the data: the 7 day moving average will tell you more than each individual day. Stats are not my strongest suit so if someone wants to correct me on that feel free.

A couple of days ago I watched some congressional testimony that I thought was extremely poignant. This doctor was talking about how, for many people, this is their first frontal experience with how science works. They are getting to see the messy early stages of the scientific process. Lots of trial and error, educated guesses that turn out to be wrong etc. This is how science always works and it is actually going really well in terms of the progress scientifically. Unfortunately, too many people are taking the word of experts that are very far from the middle, one way or the other, and that is leading to distrust everywhere. Just found it to be an interesting point

Especially when you have Governor saying he is making his decisions based on these early science predictions.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Yeah Texas and Florida are outliers currently, but nationally, locally, and even in a hotspot like AZ the death toll is decreasing.

I guess I look at data differently..I don’t see how AZ would be decreasing? Yes it is easy to see the US is…was…trending down from the initial outbreak that really hit NY so yes that is great news. I guess that can be reported on every night. The news needs to focus more on where we are doing good and forget about those other states to keep people calm. Really who cares about Texas, Arizona, and Florida anyway.

The big positive was sure cases were going up in those Southern states but deaths are going down so lets celebrate that, except now they are starting to tick up. I read..yes in the media…that it is a 5 week lag for a case to become reported as a death. I dunno. I think we need a few more months and we will really see how we are doing comparing cases/deaths.

Suzuki is saying it should be criminal. Just wondering where the crime is. That’s all.

Viewing 30 posts - 211 through 240 (of 418 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.