COVID 19 Facts and Science

• Angler II

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Angler II wrote:</div>
    The numbers don’t support that.

Are you saying 4 weeks from now deaths are going to continue to fall?

Look back at the numbers of infected, add four weeks and finish the equation. Your lagging factor doesn’t add up….

younger people are being infected. Healthy people that aren’t dying. Pretty simple to see.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Look back at the numbers of infected, add four weeks and finish the equation. Your lagging factor doesn’t add up….

You’re right. It actually looks more like 2 weeks.

If you argue that a rise in cases doesn’t equate to a lagging rise in deaths than how do you explain a lagging drop in deaths relative to a drop in cases? Especially when there’s so much talk about an increase in testing being the reason for a rise in cases.

One of the links I posted, I think the first one definitely shows a 2 week lag of rising cases to a rise in deaths. This is in spite of a spike in case positivity rate due to low testing capacity.

Attachments:
    1. 865790BC-CBD9-456D-ACEB-17714ACAE0A1.png

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

If deaths lag, then watch Florida. Deaths are declining as are er visits, but we have had a huge spike in cases the last week, mostly younger people, I assume because we opened bars to limited capacity.

Fish To Escape

Yeah, I watched an epidemiologist talking about Arizona’s increases and they asked about Florida and the fact that their cases are skewing younger. He said the general consensus is that it will still increase hospitalizations etc but it won’t happen as quickly. He basically said wait till those kids go visit grandma and grandpa. We will have to wait and see I guess. Isn’t Florida not reporting ICU usage anymore?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Heard this morning on the radio that some hospitals in Houston are now out of ICUs. They don’t know what they’re going to do with people this weekend.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m curious where they are going to put those car accident victims and stroke victims that need ICU care.

Fish To Escape

I have a buddy from school that is a doc at a children’s hospital in Texas….they have started taking adult patients. Texas has now halted their re-opening and are stopping elective surgeries in a few counties.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I find the Texas case very interesting. I was there all of last week. There (in Austin anyway), masks are required upon entering every business, including bars and restaurants. Entering/walking around and ordering from the bar the mask was required to stay on, but once you received your drink and sat down you could take it off. New change as of last week, apparently.

I wonder how many of those patients being admitted into the childrens hospital in Houston are overflow from now caring for those that needed care but had to wait for months and then beginning elective surgeries again too. Cases (and I assume hospitalizations) are spiking, but deaths have remained consistent (possible lag, like mentioned). In the Austin news I watched, they were most concerned about young people getting it, as it spread like wildfire once the bars opened back up a few weeks ago. Something about how the average age of covid +’s was 28 or 29 for a short period of time. My sister and her roommate were covid + a few days after going bar hopping, of course, but thankfully they remained asymptomatic like most their age that get it.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

My sister and her roommate were covid + a few days after going bar hopping, of course, but thankfully they remained asymptomatic like most their age that get it.

Great they are asymptomatic. Curious on why they got tested?

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tbro16 wrote:</div>
    My sister and her roommate were covid + a few days after going bar hopping, of course, but thankfully they remained asymptomatic like most their age that get it.

Her roommate said she had a fever for just a few hours one afternoon, otherwise absolutely nothing (so technically not fully asymptomatic, I suppose). If she hadn’t of called for an appointment to get tested then and waited until the next morning, she said she wouldn’t have done it. Fever relieved itself quickly.

My sister was tested the next day and she couldn’t believe she was positive. Felt perfectly normal. A few days later she spent her 23rd birthday in quarantine. Called her that day and she was sitting on her porch hammering white claws. I asked her how she felt (referring to covid) and she drunkenly responded, “f-ckin great” rotflol

Maybe no vaccine is needed after all? Just need a good buzz from mango flavored seltzers lol

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>b-curtis wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tbro16 wrote:</div>

Her roommate said she had a fever for just a few hours one afternoon, otherwise absolutely nothing (so technically not fully asymptomatic, I suppose). If she hadn’t of called for an appointment to get tested then and waited until the next morning, she said she wouldn’t have done it. Fever relieved itself quickly.

My sister was tested the next day and she couldn’t believe she was positive. Felt perfectly normal. A few days later she spent her 23rd birthday in quarantine. Called her that day and she was sitting on her porch hammering white claws. I asked her how she felt (referring to covid) and she drunkenly responded, “f-ckin great” rotflol

Maybe no vaccine is needed after all? Just need a good buzz from mango flavored seltzers lol

rotflol

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

This is kind of interesting. I don’t even know what to call it…interactive story? It goes over the timeline of how it spread. It does criticizes both the federal and local (NY) response a bit and even the title seems to be a shot at the Prez so if you are going to get bent out of shape about that maybe just don’t click the link.

And yes some of the data is from modeling and estimates, but it is interesting how they tracked the spread from Seattle and New York. Or maybe I just like pretty webpages.

The Virus Won

Fish To Escape

Texas and Florida just ordered bars to shut down.

McCloud

“The greater our knowledge increases the more our ignorance unfolds.”

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Bars are closed…

…they just can’t serve alcohol.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Chinese study: Antibodies in COVID-19 patients fade quickly

Antibody levels dropped 70%
    Among the main findings was that IgG levels in 93% (28/30) of the asymptomatic group and 97% (30/31) of the symptomatic group declined greatly during the early convalescent phase (by 8 weeks after release from the hospital). Antibody levels dropped by 71.1% in asymptomatic patients and 76.2% in the symptomatic group.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Heard this morning on the radio that some hospitals in Houston are now out of ICUs. They don’t know what they’re going to do with people this weekend.

I’m sure they’ll hurry to make ‘surge units’, just like the local MN hospitals did when Covid was getting badly out of hand. For example, expanding the ICU to an adjacent orthopedics unit, equipping the ortho rooms to be ICU rooms and venting entire wings of units to be negative pressure, and moving the ortho patients elsewhere within the hospital. Lots of this juggling has been happening within hospitals.

Some of the patients can also be helicoptered to other hospitals, just as they did when the Minneapolis hospitals ran out of ICU beds for a short time there. HCMC was shipping them elsewhere

The states that have handled Covid well have excess ventilators that can be transferred/sold to other hospitals, but I’m not sure how willing they’ll be to do that given the possibility they may be needed later if there is an influx of influenza/Covid patients in late-fall, early-winter.

BTW, Reddit can be a terrific source of news and information on just about every topic, not only Covid. Most of the junk gets vetted quickly.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Sitting at a bar in Lido Beach just beachside of Sarasota. It’s 94.
    Plenty of alcohol Being served here toast toast toast

Attachments:
    1. 8EB8C6B0-FA1F-4C13-827A-4385339EA8BB.jpeg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Sitting in a lanai in Palmetto just outside Bradenton. Plenty of alcohol being served.

Fish To Escape

Fingers crossed that the cure to all of this is ignoring it and praying it goes away

MnPat1

Fingers crossed that the cure to all of this is ignoring it and praying it goes away

It’s a much better idea than delaying the inevitable. The only thing guaranteed is All of the numbers being produced are rubbish. The Tests are not accurate so how do we know anything? If you weren’t told to be scared would you be?

Fish To Escape

I would be, yes. Watching people die has that effect. Watching how it affects some of the survivors, even more so. Talking to friends and colleagues in areas that have been through real spikes is a little terrifying too. The “inevitable” has been avoided or minimized by places all over the word.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Wisconsin reports zero deaths in Friday’s COVID-19 update. And now Mn is in the single digits. I dont see how this isnt great news.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Wisconsin reports zero deaths in Friday’s COVID-19 update. And now Mn is in the single digits. I dont see how this isnt great news.

Who said that wasn’t great news?

Fish To Escape

Definitely great news locally. If that was directed at me I was talking about the country as a whole and hoping that people are paying attention to other areas and noticing what has worked and what hasn’t

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

It wasnt directed at either one of you. Its just good news. Lighten up Francis.

Fish To Escape

Fair enough. Wording it in that way, “I don’t see how that isn’t good news,” seems to imply someone said it isn’t good news

Justin riegel

Is there any facts or statistics out there of people just dying from Covid alone? It seems like everything I have seen the people that have died have some other medical issues as well?

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 418 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.