COVID 19 Facts and Science

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

T-cells. That’s promising. Still not excited 😔

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

T-cells. That’s promising. Still not excited 😔

It also said this.

The clinical trial did not establish whether the vaccine protects against coronavirus infection.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The first child has died in MN from COVID-19. They were in the 0-5 age range and from Clay county. There’s no additional information on this.

Justin riegel

The first child has died in MN from or (with) COVID-19. They were in the 0-5 age range and from Clay county. There’s no additional information on this.

I edited it a bit for you as this is the crux of this whole ordeal. Are people dying from Covid or with Covid? I have not been able to find any information on this yet.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Hospitals are not overwhelmed which was the initial goal. No additional measures should be put in place until that is eminent. I’m so skeptical of our govt and the media I dont believe what they are saying.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

More info on the vaccines.

New England Journal of Medicine
    PHYSICIAN’S FIRST WATCH for July 20, 2020
    David G. Fairchild, MD, MPH, Editor-in-Chief

Two More COVID-19 Candidate Vaccines Show Promise

Two experimental vaccines against SARS-CoV-2 show promise in early, industry-supported trials published in The Lancet.

In a U.K.-based phase 1/2 trial, nearly 1100 adults without a history of SARS-CoV-2 infection were randomized to receive either a chimpanzee adenovirus-vectored vaccine expressing the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein (ChAdOx1 nCoV-19) or a meningococcal conjugate vaccine as a control. With one dose of ChAdOx1 nCoV-19, antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 peaked by day 28 and remained high through day 56. Ten participants who received a booster dose on day 28 achieved higher antibody levels. In addition, neutralizing antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 were detected in over 90% of participants tested. ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 caused more local and systemic reactions (e.g., chills, fever) than did the control vaccine, but these were lessened with prophylactic acetaminophen.

Link to the paper:
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31604-4/fulltext

Next, in a phase 2 trial conducted in China, roughly 500 healthy adults were randomized to receive one injection of a non-replicating adenovirus type-5-vectored COVID-19 vaccine (at 1 of 2 concentrations) or a placebo. With the COVID-19 vaccine, antibody responses were noted beginning on day 14, and nearly all participants had seroconverted by day 28. Additionally, both vaccine doses achieved significant neutralizing antibody responses. The most common systemic reactions — fatigue, fever, and headache — occurred more often with the COVID-19 vaccine than with placebo.

Link to the paper:
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31605-6/fulltext

Commentators say the results “augur well for phase 3 trials, where the vaccines must be tested on much larger populations of participants to assess their efficacy and safety.”

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

More info on the vaccines.

New England Journal of Medicine
    PHYSICIAN’S FIRST WATCH for July 20, 2020
    David G. Fairchild, MD, MPH, Editor-in-Chief

Two More COVID-19 Candidate Vaccines Show Promise

Two experimental vaccines against SARS-CoV-2 show promise in early, industry-supported trials published in The Lancet.

In a U.K.-based phase 1/2 trial, nearly 1100 adults without a history of SARS-CoV-2 infection were randomized to receive either a chimpanzee adenovirus-vectored vaccine expressing the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein (ChAdOx1 nCoV-19) or a meningococcal conjugate vaccine as a control. With one dose of ChAdOx1 nCoV-19, antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 peaked by day 28 and remained high through day 56. Ten participants who received a booster dose on day 28 achieved higher antibody levels. In addition, neutralizing antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 were detected in over 90% of participants tested. ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 caused more local and systemic reactions (e.g., chills, fever) than did the control vaccine, but these were lessened with prophylactic acetaminophen.

Link to the paper:
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31604-4/fulltext

Next, in a phase 2 trial conducted in China, roughly 500 healthy adults were randomized to receive one injection of a non-replicating adenovirus type-5-vectored COVID-19 vaccine (at 1 of 2 concentrations) or a placebo. With the COVID-19 vaccine, antibody responses were noted beginning on day 14, and nearly all participants had seroconverted by day 28. Additionally, both vaccine doses achieved significant neutralizing antibody responses. The most common systemic reactions — fatigue, fever, and headache — occurred more often with the COVID-19 vaccine than with placebo.

Link to the paper:
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31605-6/fulltext

Commentators say the results “augur well for phase 3 trials, where the vaccines must be tested on much larger populations of participants to assess their efficacy and safety.”

Side effect’s sound just like or worse than what it’s supposed to fend off…. and “chimpanzee adenovirus-vectored vaccine expressing the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein”… I am out.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Side effect’s sound just like or worse than what it’s supposed to fend off…. and “chimpanzee adenovirus-vectored vaccine expressing the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein”… I am out.

It could be our ticket for getting out of this mess but you’d rather not because you might get common mild vaccine side effects?

The only thing more difficult than fighting this virus is dealing with the irrational selfish people.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Side effects are like the virus because symptoms are not directly caused by the virus, rather your bodies response to the virus. So yes you may have symptoms similar to the virus.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

It could be our ticket for getting out of this mess but you’d rather not because you might get common mild vaccine side effects?

The only thing more difficult than fighting this virus is dealing with the irrational selfish people.

You beat me to it Matt. Some people get some mild flu symptoms with the flu shot too. I’d gladly trade some mild symptoms for a good antibody response. Take some acetaminophen for several days for symptoms and get neutralizing antibodies in return. Dang near a no brainer!!

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

[/quote]

Irrational selfish people….. come on man. How can we all of a sudden have a vaccine for something that is less than 6 months old with mutations but can’t vaccine or cure other diseases that have been around for ever? I don’t think being out on the first round is irrational at all. Or even questioning the validity of the vaccine.

Fish To Escape

Irrational selfish people….. come on man. How can we all of a sudden have a vaccine for something that is less than 6 months old with mutations but can’t vaccine or cure other diseases that have been around for ever? I don’t think being out on the first round is irrational at all. Or even questioning the validity of the vaccine.
    [/quote]

What other diseases? Just curious

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

rrational selfish people….. come on man. How can we all of a sudden have a vaccine for something that is less than 6 months old with mutations but can’t vaccine or cure other diseases that have been around for ever? I don’t think being out on the first round is irrational at all. Or even questioning the validity of the vaccine.

I agree the time frame is not normal. Phase 3 will be the most crucial results because it will have people from all over the world tested.

That is your own personal decision to get or not get vaccinated once its available. Lots of people decline vaccinations for all kinds of diseases. I’m not one of them. I will be in line for one if it is proven to be safe and at least partially effective. If you don’t want one, don’t get one. I get a flu shot every year because my job requires it so I’m guessing they will require this too. I have not had influenza for as long as I can remember, and I get a flu vaccine every year in the fall too.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

There’s really no excuse for that. Hopefully they have a verification system that is able to catch and correct it on the fly. Really makes you wonder how many people got assigned to the wrong sample.

Angler II

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>beardly wrote:</div>

I wouldn’t say that not wanting to inject your body with something that is a couple months old is irrational or selfish. In fact, I’d say it’s the opposite of what a rational person would do…

You live your life, I’ll live mine.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Maybe vaccinated people will get arm bands or tattoos to identify them……..

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

For anyone working in hospitals caring for COVID-19 patients.

Aerosols in COVID-19 patient rooms contained live virus, researchers say

Aerosol samples collected from the hospital rooms of six COVID-19 patients in April contained infectious virus, adding to mounting evidence that the coronavirus is spread via aerosols in addition to large respiratory droplets, a non–peer-reviewed University of Nebraska study has found.

The study, published yesterday on the preprint server medRxiv, identified RNA from SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, on reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction, which cannot discern whether the particles are infectious. But increases in viral RNA on cell culture showed significant growth of infectious virus in 3 of 18 aerosol samples after 5 or 6 days. Western blot and transmission electron microscopy also demonstrated evidence of intact virus.

Airborne transmission of a virus is defined as spread via aerosol particles smaller than 5 micrometers (µm) in diameter containing live virus produced by an infected person that hangs in the air long enough to be inhaled by another person, who is then infected.

Previous studies have demonstrated that infectious aerosols can linger in the air for hours if unexposed to sunlight and suggested that COVID-19 clusters were linked to aerosol spread at a church choir practice in Washington state and a restaurant in Wuhan, China.

The authors said that the study shows that some aerosol particles smaller than 5 µm produced through normal breathing, vocalization, and coughing can contain infectious SARS-CoV-2, despite guidance from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that recommends N95 respirators for healthcare workers caring for coronavirus patients in only certain high-risk situations and states that the contribution of aerosols to infection transmission is unclear.

“The infectious nature of aerosol collected in this study, taken with the other lines of evidence presented, illustrates that airborne transmission of COVID-19 is possible, and that infectious aerosol may be produced without coughing,” they wrote. “Aerosol prevention measures should be implemented to effectively stem the spread of SARS-CoV-2, particularly in crowded settings.”
    Jul 20 medRxiv abstract

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>b-curtis wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    Deaths are decreasing across the board, even in AZ. WI has had 13 deaths in the last week, and MN has 29 deaths in the last week. Both significant downward trends, and way down from the peak in MN of 35 deaths 5/28 and 22 deaths on 5/27 in Wisconsin.

Maybe true in MN and WI. Otherwise not really true. For example I got this from the media. Maybe it is incorrect? I wouldn’t mind be corrected. Maybe the good news is how small the numbers are? I dunno.

In Texas, officials announced 119 deaths on Wednesday, surpassing a daily record for deaths in the pandemic that the state had set only a day earlier. In Arizona, more than 200 deaths have been announced already this week, and the daily virus death toll in the state reached higher than ever. Mississippi, Florida and Tennessee also set single-day death records this week.

Yeah Texas and Florida are outliers currently, but nationally, locally, and even in a hotspot like AZ the death toll is decreasing.

Texas:
    https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ed483ecd702b4298ab01e8b9cafc8b83

Florida (yesterday was a big drop off from prior trends idk why):
    https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/96dd742462124fa0b38ddedb9b25e429

Arizona:
    https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/epidemiology-disease-control/infectious-disease-epidemiology/covid-19/dashboards/

US:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=us+covid+deaths&oq=us+covid+deaths&aqs=chrome..69i57.2335j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Roughly 2 weeks later, and deaths are steady or on the decline everywhere but Texas.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m curious where you are seeing data that shows all states but Texas have deaths declining.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’m curious where you are seeing data that shows all states but Texas have deaths declining.

That’s not what I said. But the 5 states and the US as a whole that I’ve been referencing, the 7 day averages are still on the decline except Texas.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

That’s not what I said. But the 5 states and the US as a whole that I’ve been referencing, the 7 day averages are still on the decline except Texas.

You’re right I misquoted you but I’m still curious what data backs up what you are saying. Everything I see is showing deaths increasing.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

That is your own personal decision to get or not get vaccinated once its available. Lots of people decline vaccinations for all kinds of diseases. I’m not one of them. I will be in line for one if it is proven to be safe and at least partially effective. If you don’t want one, don’t get one. I get a flu shot every year because my job requires it so I’m guessing they will require this too. I have not had influenza for as long as I can remember, and I get a flu vaccine every year in the fall too.

Yep – The choice to get Vaccinated or not should be a personal choice.

As far as the Flu shot goes, I’ve only got it 3 out of the last 8 years. The 3 years I had it were the sickest years I’ve ever had. I have not got it the last 3 seasons and have not got influenza any of those years. My wife and daughter both got the shot the last 2 seasons and both got sick far more often that me. Just my experience. Like I said it should be a personal choice when the time comes.

I know I would not be one of the 1st people in line to get one if this gets rushed. I am sure there is a lot of push to get this one into use faster than normal.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

As far as the Flu shot goes, I’ve only got it 3 out of the last 8 years. The 3 years I had it were the sickest years I’ve ever had. I have not got it the last 3 seasons and have not got influenza any of those years. My wife and daughter both got the shot the last 2 seasons and both got sick far more often that me. Just my experience. Like I said it should be a personal choice when the time comes.

I know I would not be one of the 1st people in line to get one if this gets rushed. I am sure there is a lot of push to get this one into use faster than normal.

I agree about personal choice 100% but we simply cannot be using misinformation and anecdotal evidence to make that personal decision. The idea that the vaccine is unsafe based solely on the time it took to produce is completely false.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>

I agree about personal choice 100% but we simply cannot be using misinformation and anecdotal evidence to make that personal decision. The idea that the vaccine is unsafe based solely on the time it took to produce is completely false.

If it works there will certainly be enough people volunteering to take it to reach the mythical herd immunity status, right?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If it works there will certainly be enough people volunteering to take it to reach the mythical herd immunity status, right?

You seem to have all the answers. You tell me.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

You seem to have all the answers. You tell me.

Mine was a legitimate thoughtful question that supported your statement. I thought you could provide insight.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Mine was a legitimate thoughtful question that supported your statement. I thought you could provide insight.

You call it a legitimate thoughtful question. Everyone else calls it trolling.

Viewing 30 posts - 361 through 390 (of 418 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.