COVID 19 Facts and Science

• Fish To Escape

I pretty much came to the conclusion we needed a real, non half-assed shut down 3 months ago.

Hospitalization data still unavailable from cdc/hhs. Must be really doing some serious streamlining

Jim in Wisconsin

I think the covid scare is an overgrown HOAX. If you subtract the institutional mortality from the overall total the remainder is about equal to our usual annual flu deaths. Keep in mind there are no standards here. There don’t seem to be baseline numbers. We are provided with no comparison data. There is no “science”. Just my .02. Our economy will not recover in my lifetime or yours perhaps, and most of our lives exist within our economy. The “bark” has been worse than the “bite”.

Brad Dimond

Jim –

If you parse the numbers to account for your biases it is simple to make a case that aligns with those biases. People who die in institutions are still dead, excluding them from consideration is absurd.

Until there is a generally available reliable vaccine the US is going to be a dumpster fire. 25% of the population of India, triple the infected. How does that make any sense?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I pretty much came to the conclusion we needed a real, non half-assed shut down 3 months ago.

And what, wait for a vaccine?

The goal should be to not overwhelm medical facilities and manage the epidemic.

No matter what you do, you open up some and you will see a spike

Angler II

Hospitalization data still unavailable from cdc/hhs. Must be really doing some serious streamlining

Keep kicking the can down the road.

Fish To Escape

Actually get the numbers and amount of virus in the community low, set up an organized contact tracing system that can stomp out cases as they arise. An organized federal response working with different levels of government. Ya know, like the rest of the world. To put it into perspective in restaurant dining in Germany was up 5.5% last month compared to last year. We never got this truly under control from the start and now we will yo-yo for the foreseeable future. It is what it is but we have not shown a hint of what this will actually take.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

When it comes to the actual “COVID-19 FACTS AND SCIENCE”,
    it is just my opinion that none of you can be an “Accredited Authority” on the subject.

As all of you have voiced “Your Opinions” on this subject, this is mine. coffee

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Jim –
    25% of the population of India, triple the infected. How does that make any sense?

Playing Devil’s Advocate: Can you trust the numbers coming out of India, Pakistan, Brazil, or China, where low-income people are packed in like sardines and victim to terrible healthcare systems for the lower classes?

How many are asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic but never tested because nobody cares about their class or uses it for a political axe to grind? If I had to guess, the Covid numbers are absolutely through the roof in those counties, yet they remain under-reported.

Fish To Escape

I completely agree. It is pretty tough to have any apples to apples comparisons but I usually look at the EU or Canada because I would think it is probably the most reliable data to compare

Fish To Escape

For the folks that enjoy statistics. Here is a prime example of data manipulation taking place when left up to the states. These two pictures are from a state website taken 15 days apart. They show a 49% increase in the number of cases in that state. I know cases aren’t a good indicator yada, yada, not the point. Take a look at this, egregious

Attachments:
    1. 84D30FA4-AAD5-4E62-A138-6C38D909E30F.png

2. 77073892-E821-47D2-9C9A-E2692FDE1B73.png

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

When it comes to the actual “COVID-19 FACTS AND SCIENCE”,
    it is just my opinion that none of you can be an “Accredited Authority” on the subject.

As all of you have voiced “Your Opinions” on this subject, this is mine. coffee

Denny. The point isn’t to give our uneducated opinions. It to relay real data and what really experts are saying. I’ve posted dozens of links, podcasts and articles from real experts that are a far cry from what the media is pushing and what biases info being spewed here and other social media sites.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m sorry, I just have to share this.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Lol, that’s pretty good. And I like orange man.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

For the folks that enjoy statistics. Here is a prime example of data manipulation taking place when left up to the states. These two pictures are from a state website taken 15 days apart. They show a 49% increase in the number of cases in that state. I know cases aren’t a good indicator yada, yada, not the point. Take a look at this, egregious

Not sure I’m following. You think they should have kept the numbers the same and added a color with higher numbers?

Dan
    Southeast MN

Thank you so very much for sharing that. I think the whole “LOL” thing is greatly overused online and in text messages but I legitimately laughed at that one.

Fish To Escape

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Fish To Escape wrote:</div>

Not sure I’m following. You think they should have kept the numbers the same and added a color with higher numbers?

They shifted every category so that the picture looked the same over the course of the two weeks when in reality there was 49% more cases.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t know. The legend changed. The chart doesn’t represent total cases so maybe they are trying to fool people, maybe not.

Fish To Escape

I should point out that I should have flipped the order, the top picture is the more recent one (talk about misrepresenting data).

I am all for giving the benefit of the doubt but I can’t do that here. You can’t tell me that changing the numbers like that over time was anything other than a ploy to make things look better than they are in the area

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The fact that the colors have random numbers tells me they are set to adjust automatically to show the top x% of growth. Not a great way to display data but I don’t think it was meant to be deceitful.

Fish To Escape

That is a good point. Could be incompetence more than outright deceit. The fact that it could be set up to automatically keep the map looking the same doesn’t make me feel better about the state being honest about the situation, however.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Where did you find this? Changing the legend is a pretty basic trick. It was either intentional or an accident by an absolute novice. I’m guessing it was released by a state official who knows statistical tricks like the back of his or her hand.

catmando
    wis

You know the states that have it bad, do the opposite, out and about by people, wear a damn mask!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m guessing it was released by a state official who knows statistical tricks like the back of his or her hand.

It’s only makes a relevant difference if you compare them against past maps. Again, if it’s set to show the top 3 counties or top 5% of counties or show the worst counties vs the best, it’s doing a good job of that. I don’t see how that is meant to trick anyone.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe title=”Donald Trump’s KUNG FLU REMIX – WTFBRAHH” width=”850″ height=”478″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/CpB2dmIA-lA?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>

Lmao that’s funny

Fish To Escape

Oxford vaccine trial results expected out today, said to be the most promising yet and the front runner right now.

Side note: I have worked with Doctors Without Borders in the past and was just asked if I would be willing to do so again……..in the United States

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Oxford vaccine trial results expected out today, said to be the most promising yet and the front runner right now.

Dr. O on CCO this morning said some big news out of England today. Looking forward to this.

Fish To Escape

Rumor is they are “several months ahead of any other vaccine”

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ll get excited when their is a vaccine produced and ready to be injected. If covid taught me anything it not to anticipate anything positive…including antibody tests :p

Viewing 30 posts - 331 through 360 (of 418 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.