COVID 19 Facts and Science

• Fish To Escape

Hopefully they are just streamlining it and this is an anomaly

Attachments:
    1. 787A6E7D-DB98-42F3-8D6E-FD366CEB805F.png

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I was responding to those people who see it as a political move, so no reason to highlight it. I could have excluded that part completely if I didn’t want people to see it.

My only thought on this since I don’t fully understand the impact is that the non-partisan scientific community is pretty much outraged by this. It’s really hard to ignore the thought that it was a purely political tactic.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

And now, the good news.

Hopeful results from phase 1 Moderna COVID vaccine trial

Three groups of 15 participants each received two intramuscular injections 28 days apart of either 25, 100, or 250 micrograms (μg) of mRNA-1273. All subjects received one injection; and 42 received a second injection.

The researchers monitored vaccine-induced antibody activity for 43 days after the second injection, finding that two vaccinations produced high levels of neutralizing antibody activity against the coronavirus above the average levels observed in serum taken from people with confirmed COVID-19 infection.

The researchers noted that they weren’t able to evaluate long-term immune response to the vaccine but that participants will be monitored through regular blood collections for 1 year after the second dose.

I also saw a report that the Oxford vaccine is supposed to be releasing ‘good news’ about their trials. Not sure if/what the difference between these two are but sure sounds promising.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

“My face is my mask,”

Attachments:
    1. B9841D69-4D29-4C8B-A96C-3202B79FF031.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My face is my mask,

Lol thats insane how they used to play that position without any face protection.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

This is why the butterfly style was created AFTER goalie masks were brought to the game.

Mos’

So you are obese with high blood pressure, diabetes and eat poorly hardly move but you want everyone around to wear a mask because you care about your health..?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

So you are obese with high blood pressure, diabetes and eat poorly hardly move but you want everyone around to wear a mask because you care about your health..?

Diabetes and hypertension don’t just choose people that eat poorly. Neither does RA and kidney diseases.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Obesity makes it worse. And I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that most of us could lose at least a few pounds.

Smoking makes it WAY worse. It attacks your lungs. Its a death sentence if you smoke. That’s partially why the mortality rate was so high in Italy…a lot of people smoke there.

Diabetes, cardiac issues, hypertension are caused by a variety of factors. Lifestyle may be part of the issue, but genetics are also a big role.

Fish To Escape

If you aren’t willing to take some simple, inconvenient steps to help protect the sick and elderly then at least do it so we can hopefully have a relatively normal school year. Or do it so we can help the small businesses and their employees with a more normal economy. Or do it to help the healthcare workers that are affected when the hospitals get crowded. Or do it for the perfectly healthy guy that has a medical emergency but doesn’t get as good of care because the hospitals are crowded. Or do it because you don’t want to be a link in a chain that kills somebody’s parent. If none of that matters and it is all a hoax then I would probably just not click the link.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’m waiting on the Vaping and COVID linked to deaths!

Netguy
    Minnetonka

This is a little lengthy.
    From the “water temps in the 80’s, suspend musky fishing!!!” thread:

and yes, one single casual fisherman might not have a big impact on the fishery. however, when all of us casual fisherman think “it’s no big deal if I go because I’m just one person” it will absolutely have a negative effect. just give ’em a break for a few weeks when it’s this hot out.

Now I’m not a musky fisherman, but if it helps a significant amount of fish survive, I support not fishing them. Just like I don’t fish deep for walleyes in hot weather. One year I was basin trolling Mille Lacs and the first fish I caught, I couldn’t revive. That ended that presentation for me.

Now, the mask analogy:

one single person not wearing a mask might not have a big impact on the disease. however, when all of us think “it’s no big deal” to not wear a mask because “I’m just one person” it will absolutely have a negative effect.

Now I support wearing masks because I’m at higher risk of complications if I catch it. Why can’t the non-maskers think of other people like I think of musky?

OK, let me have it!!

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I understand what you are trying to say Netguy.

Tell me, what do you do to “support” the Musky cause? My guess is you just talk about it over coffee and agree.

Like saying I support “social issues” as I chomp popcorn and go about my daily life.

I support you Netguy by staying the hell away from you and living my normal distanced, adult, parent, working life.

One thing is for sure if I was as vulnerable as you and thought my life was at risk, I sure the hell wouldn’t go buy a bird feeder at Menards on a Saturday afternoon.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Joe, I think you and I share the same viewpoint on masks. I think we’re at a point right now where if we responsibly implement mask policies in hopes they have some positive effect, it’s probably worth a shot. We as a country MUST move on from this conversation. Like you and I both agree, there are far more effective measures to slow the spread of this that are flat out being ignored due to this highly politicized mask debate.

One of which is how we can come up with a mask that is proven to be highly effective and can be worn by the public without diminishing critical medical PPE.

I honestly think if the media stopped talking about it the politicized aspect would diminish.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Joe, I think you and I share the same viewpoint on masks. I think we’re at a point right now where if we responsibly implement mask policies in hopes they have some positive effect, it’s probably worth a shot. We as a country MUST move on from this conversation. Like you and I both agree, there are far more effective measures to slow the spread of this that are flat out being ignored due to this highly politicized mask debate.

One of which is how we can come up with a mask that is proven to be highly effective and can be worn by the public without diminishing critical medical PPE.

I honestly think if the media stopped talking about it the politicized aspect would diminish.

I wholeheartedly agree with you Matt. You are just nicer than I am about it.

Our hospital, in response to MDH’s newest masking guidelines, implemented No more home-made cloth mask be worn in house. Only medical grade droplet masks to be worn by all – even those in non-patient areas.

I have cloth masks for home use in mandatory settings. We wear them and move on with life.

I absolutely despise people who want to soapbox the saving measures of old underwear, half on their face as they eat at Olive Garden at the time of their scheduled Lantus injection.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

I see Redfield said if mask-wearing was universal we would have this outbreak under control in 4-8 weeks. grin Of course he also said the outbreak in the Southern states is not due to them opening up too quickly but because of all the Northern people bringing it there. doah

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I see Redfield said if mask-wearing was universal we would have this outbreak under control in 4-8 weeks. grin Of course he also said the outbreak in the Southern states is not due to them opening up to quickly but because of all the Northern people bringing it there. doah

Dr O addresses those comments in his latest podcast that Matt posted. It sure doesn’t lend much credibility to Redfield.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Tell me, what do you do to “support” the Musky cause? My guess is you just talk about it over coffee and agree.

You’re right, that’s what I’d do, except I don’t drink coffee. I only know a few musky fisherman and if they told me they were fishing when the water temp was high, I’d ask them, “Is that good for the fish?”

Haven’t been in a Menards since last fall. Anything I need from them or other similar stores I order online. Same for a lot of house essentials and dog supplies. If I need to go to a grocery store or Target, I go during their “people that are vulnerable” hours like this morning. I’ve done several one-day, one-tank of gas fishing trips. Plan to retire next year and it looks good with a new boat this year and a new hunting dog last year. I don’t want to croak because I get it from some non-masker. Yes, I can social distance but sometimes they don’t and come up from behind. doah

I’m very lucky my company is “essential” and I am able to work from home since mid-March. I’m actually more productive at home.

The family 2 houses down just went into quarantine. One of his baseball teammates tested positive. “Supposedly” that boy has only been at home or baseball. Did he get it from someone else on the team, from someone in his family or?? Probably never know. I hope the winds are southerly for the next 2 weeks.

Good thing I’m a homebody.

Movin’ on!!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Dr O addresses those comments in his latest podcast that Matt posted. It sure doesn’t lend much credibility to Redfield.

Another thing I wanted to add was that he also said that he mentioned the possibility that higher infectious doses may actually lead to more sever symptoms. It seems that healthcare workers are far more likely to experience more severe symptoms. That’s an interesting nugget because a friend of mine who worked the riots in Minneapolis said that his friend who is a very healthy cop got infected from an arrest where he likely got a huge viral dose from the person being arrested. He ended up in the hospital for 3 weeks.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

Like you and I both agree, there are far more effective measures to slow the spread of this that are flat out being ignored due to this highly politicized mask debate.

Curious, aside from the mask you mentioned, what are these more effective measures?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Curious, aside from the mask you mentioned, what are these more effective measures?

Distance, distance, distance are the top 3. Listen to the podcast. He has a good rule of thumb to follow.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Dr. Osterholm’s podcasts are a great resource. I also really enjoy hearing the perspective of Dr. Zubin Damania, who goes by ZDoggMD. He has a very interesting one recently on herd immunity. Give them a listen.
    https://zdoggmd.com/z-blogg/

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DeRangedFishinguy wrote:</div>

Distance, distance, distance are the top 3. Listen to the podcast. He has a good rule of thumb to follow.

One (hopefully) last comment on masks as I am sure your head is about to explode that yet again this conversation is happening. grin

So are you saying when and expert says ‘wear a mask’ there is an implicit ‘only’ after it? I see it as wear a mask ‘in addition’ with the other measures like distancing. Is it because there are so many people that are adding the ‘only’, the false security (I guess I do that too because if I have a mask and the other person has a mask I will walk right by them)? Many don’t understand 6 feet…or even 2 feet either. Are we saying more people get infected if you wear a mask and distance 2 feet vs no mask at 6 feet, or vs no mask at 2 feet? I suspect the people who will come up and stand right next to you at the meat counter are the sames ones that will pull a gun on you if you tell them to put a masks on.

When Dr. O. was talking about the superspreaders and mentioned I think S. Korea where 1 person infected 94 people and he said it had to be aerosols because the people were not near each other…now I would actually think that superspreader would have had a mask on based on the country so my question is probably already answered…in this case distance doesn’t matter so would a mask help (With all the questions on how well they work vs aerosols)?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

S. Korea where 1 person infected like 200 people and he said it had to be aerosols because the people were not near each other…now I would actually think that superspreader would have had a mask on based on the country so my question is probably already answered…in this case distance doesn’t matter so would a mask help (With

I would find the answers before assuming. Those assumptions lead to big conclusions.

I have a question. Why are we told to avoid crowds of over 50? More specifically my question has to do numbers. Let’s say you are in a bar with 50 people in it and down the road is a bar with 10 people in it. Let’s say that 1 person in each bar is infected. Are your chances greater or being infected in the bar with 50?

Maybe thinking through this im answering my own question. Im supposing the answer is that while your individual chances of infection don’t increase, the chances that more people are infected increase therefore further spreading the disease? Idk I haven’t had any coffee yet

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

I need to fix that. It was 94 of 216 employees…not 200 infected. The study doesn’t say if the superspreader had a mask or not

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>b-curtis wrote:</div>
    I see Redfield said if mask-wearing was universal we would have this outbreak under control in 4-8 weeks. grin Of course he also said the outbreak in the Southern states is not due to them opening up to quickly but because of all the Northern people bringing it there. doah

Yeah, he was surprised by the comments. I was thinking he is getting pressure from above with the ‘most counties can open schools’ and ‘it wasn’t because opening the economies up’ comments, but the mask comment is the opposite of what the WH is pushing.

So…did anybody else get a little depressed when he said we need to shut down and need federal leadership, otherwise we are heading towards ‘herd immunity’ and A LOT of people are going to unnecessarily die?

Viewing 30 posts - 301 through 330 (of 418 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.