Costa Del Mar Glasses – Yuck

• dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Well, my buddy and I have the exact same pair of Costas (2-3 years old). Both of our glasses have nose pieces that are falling off. Tried Costa customer service – no way to talk to someone. Tried email – no response.

A quick 1/2 hr. search yielded news the sale of the company to Luxxotica, class action lawsuits, and the disappearance of any resemblance of customer service. Buyer beware I guess. After I go through this pair it will be time to move on to another brand. Too bad, I love the glasses other than this issue.

If you are thinking of Costas, do some homework and come up with your own conclusions….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

wave

Good Post!

I never gave it a thought that others were having the same trouble.
    I glued my nose piece in and that lasted for about a year.

BTW When I decided on the Costa’s about 3-4 years ago I found that Red Wing had a Costa dealer. After talking to the folks there and with their assurance, I ordered the Costa frame with their lenses at close to $200.00 below the Costa price.

I’ve had them next to Costa’s and I can’t tell the difference just by looking through them. The lens doesn’t have the Costa logo on it (that I find annoying anyway).

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This is interesting. I’ve heard nothing but good things about Costa sunglasses. The cost is what has always deterred me from buying a pair. However, Santa dropped some off for me last Christmas and I used them all summer fishing without any complaints. Maybe I need a bigger sample size but there is a noticeable quality upgrade from my previous $25 annual cheapies.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

This is interesting. I’ve heard nothing but good things about Costa sunglasses. The cost is what has always deterred me from buying a pair. However, Santa dropped some off for me last Christmas and I used them all summer fishing without any complaints. Maybe I need a bigger sample size but there is a noticeable quality upgrade from my previous $25 annual cheapies.

If somebody knows something different about costa, let me know. I’m not into Bashing companies that don’t deserve it.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

I’ve been wearing Maui Jims now for close to 10 years. I have been 100% happy with their product and customer service. Broke a lens (and I think the frames) on a pair and sent them in and the repair/replacement process was a piece of cake.

Just got my second pair last month and my original pair are still in great shape. I know it’s a big chunk to dole out at about $250 a pair, but I always tell people I take way better care of them than i did the cheapo gas station shades I used to buy. Even my wife who was notorious for losing or breaking sunglasses, still has her original pair that are going on 7 years.

Cabela’s and Scheel’s now carry a big selection of a lot of higher end shades. Go try some on and see for yourself!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If somebody knows something different about costa, let me know. I’m not into Bashing companies that don’t deserve it.

I would tend to think that solely based on popularity they are doing something right. Virtually every angler I see fishing on TV wears a pair, saltwater included. I think some other people will chime in with their experience of them and they will mostly be positive.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I used them all summer fishing without any complaints.

It was the second year for me.

I will add they spend a little better then a week with me in salt water, but that shouldn’t of made a difference.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve got 4 pair of Costas. The oldest is about 15 years old and the newest is 4-5 years old. I love them and wear a pair nearly all the time when outside or driving.

That being said, I have never dealt with their customer service, so I cannot comment. Your experience is a bummer. I hope that you are the exception rather than the new norm.

Dan Baker

I’ve had two pair of Coastas. I had to send the first pair back because all of the rubber in the frames detached from the frames. The second pair has the exact same issue (not the same frames). I love the lenses, they are crazy good. But the frames are not solid.
    Dan

bfishn

I think most of the once privately owned sunglass companies have all been bought by large conglomerates at this point. Maui Jim may be one of the few that’s still private. I did recently break down and buy a pair of Costas despite issues with their frames, because I still do think their Green glass lenses are the best fishing lenses on the market. I expect to have to glue the rubber nose pieces back on at some point, I have had to do the same with my Smith’s.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

I sent my Costa’s in about 1.5 year ago with the failing nose piece and the intent to get new lenses. They sent me a new pair for nothing. It did take a some time but I thought the customer service was good at the time. Sucks to hear that is changing because I love their glasses. I changed from Oakley and Smith and could never go back.

Might have to check with the place in Red Wing.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Might have to check with the place in Red Wing

They don’t stock Costa’s…but they can order them (frames and lenses) for you.

I can’t recall the name of the optometrist right now, but the guy is a Pool 4 fishing/hunting fool! )

Struss Optical. Right next to the library.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

I recently had an outstanding experience.

Within the past year I believe I have purchased at least 3 pair of Costas. For close to 25 years, maybe more, I’d been wearing Maui Jim and Rayban glass lenses. So spoiled by the clarity of glass it was hard to make the leap to poly. I utilized MJ’s customer service a couple of times and have had complete replacements (due to my fault) for very minimal cost.

A couple of months ago I was on the highway close to home and spotted a pair of sun glasses laying in the middle of the road. Being a sun glass whore I turned around to see what they were. Turned out they were a pair of Costas. The lenses were in very good shape despite their tumble down the highway. However as pointed out the rubber on the nose piece and ear pieces were breaking away. This appeared to be from wear and tear, not their ride down the highway. While still wearable and comfortable, I thought I’d check with Costa on Warranty. The process was all online and pretty simple. I was skeptical without a receipt or documentation and as easy as it was, surely there was a catch. After the process which also involved uploading pictures of the damaged area I almost immediately received notification that they would be covered under warranty which meant a new replacement. My exact model (Tuna Alley readers) was no longer available so I got to choose which of the current Tuna Alley model I would like. Came in the mail about a week later. I vowed then to continue to purchase and recommend their products.

Sadly a couple a days ago while out shopping I misplaced my favorite Costa Saltbreak glasses so this might be an opportunity to show my appreciation with another purchase.

I still see some MJs and RayBans in my future as well.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Got a pair of Maui Jims covered by my vision insurance (prescription) a few years ago and I’ll never buy anything else in terms of quality prescription eyewear.

mnfisherman18

I have had the same issues with the rubber nose piece coming loose (multiple times). I do not understand how they cannot solve this problem with a better adhesive, its infuriating to pay $200+ for a pair and have issues a couple years down the road.

With that said, I have yet to try a better fishing lens than the Costa green mirrors, so I am sticking with them for now.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Got a pair of Maui Jims covered by my vision insurance (prescription) a few years ago and I’ll never buy anything else in terms of quality prescription eyewear.

I got a pair of Ray Bans with my vision insurance this year and the lenses are too dark to see anything in detail on the boat such as tying any knots. I guess great for pleasure but don’t wear them very often because of the dark lenses.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

I have had the same issues with the rubber nose piece coming loose (multiple times). I do not understand how they cannot solve this problem with a better adhesive, its infuriating to pay $200+ for a pair and have issues a couple years down the road.

With that said, I have yet to try a better fishing lens than the Costa green mirrors, so I am sticking with them for now.

How did you glue them back on? I’m a little leery of using superglue, having that not work, and then having to deal with all the residue on the nose piece. Totally agree, awesome lenses, but pisses me off to no end that such a simple issue cant get fixed.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Since the posters here seem to know a bunch about Costa`s etc I am looking for a low light lens as I have trouble seeing in dim conditions. What color lens would you guys recommend/

mnfisherman18

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mnfisherman18 wrote:</div>

How did you glue them back on? I’m a little leery of using superglue, having that not work, and then having to deal with all the residue on the nose piece. Totally agree, awesome lenses, but pisses me off to no end that such a simple issue cant get fixed.

I should have clarified I sent them back in the first time and my buddy did the same with his a few years in. It just started happening on mine again this fall, so I am not sure what to do. I know 3M makes a rubber/plastic adhesive that I am really tempted to try, but I have the same concerns as you.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Since the posters here seem to know a bunch about Costa`s etc I am looking for a low light lens as I have trouble seeing in dim conditions. What color lens would you guys recommend/

The amber lens is recommended for low light conditions.

FryDog62

I had a pair of Fantails that the nose piece came off after about 2 years. Glued it back on and got about another year.

So, I researched their frame models and bought some Jose’s that don’t have any rubber pieces that can come off. It also has a hinge on the temples which alleviates ear soreness throughout the day (which I get).

If you are torn between glass or plastic, they offer both. If you are prescription, they are one of the only sunglass manufacturers to make the lenses in Trivex – closest to the best of both plastic and glass lenses. Apparently there is a patent and other major sunglass makers can’t offer Trivex (at least yet).

Am such a big fan of their lenses, I had to find a way to stay with a Costa frame.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

I’m wearing my Jose Costas with the Amber lens right now. Great for low light when you still want polarized lenses.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

This is what you’re losing? I’ve never lost one. Strange.
    costa

robby
    Quad Cities

This is terrible news. Ive worn Costas on and off for over 20 years and have always loved them. I did have a problem with a nose piece years ago, but those glasses had been used hard and abused.

RT
    Twin Cities

The issue with Costas and the rubber nose piece is that the rubber doesn’t play well with sunscreen.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

This is what you’re losing? I’ve never lost one. Strange.
    costa

I have the Corbina. This is what is coming apart:

Attachments:
    1. Glasses.jpg

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

The issue with Costas and the rubber nose piece is that the rubber doesn’t play well with sunscreen.

Houston – we have a problem. A sunglass company whose product doesn’t work well with sunscreen blush

frank z

Small world lost my tuna alley readers few months back the grey nose piece and ear pieces were glued figured i left them on bumper or hood ?live south of prescott and travel to south saint paul gun club a lot not sure where you found them crazy if you found mine?Ihad just contacted costa but lost them before i sent pictures of damage.Not looking for anything just thought it was crazy when i read your post.If you still had the oid ones would be interested?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I really wanted to buy some Costas. But will stick with my Oakley. They do fine and take tons of abuse. Replacing the polarized lenses in any color is simple and not to hard on the pocket book

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.