Cool Trail Cam Pic

• riverruns
    Inactive

So there. They are right behind yotes. They have 2nd place. waytogo

Do you have any information on how many wolves, yotes, bobcat, bears or venisom ducks fed at the “cattle pit”?

Maybe the bobcats ate the cattle at the pit before the deer? They were full of cattle by time they moved onto deer. Good thing!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

What a great study

Yeah. Another dropout from the University of Google.

I love this part:

“Wolves came in fourth behind a three-way tie of hunters, unknown predators and undetermined causes.”

So if you add it all up, this authoritative study proves that wolves landed somewhere between first and 16th on the list of top deer predators. rotflol rotflol rotflol Ain’t science wonderful?

Meanwhile, back in the real world, I’ve got this killer bobcat on my hands and he’s eating all the deer, but lucky for me “replacement deer” keep appearing on my cams as fast as the bobcat can eat.

Grouse

basseyes

A study by Wildlife Ecology and Management at Mississippi State University, in association with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources, found that coyotes are the top whitetail fawn predators in the western Upper Peninsula, followed by bobcats in second. Wolves came in fourth behind a three-way tie of hunters, unknown predators and undetermined causes.

Student researchers fitted 142 whitetail fawns with GPS collars, which transmitted their locations every 15 minutes. According to the study, 80 of the fawns died during the three-year first phase of the study, with 73 percent of the deaths being attributed to predators.

While researchers discovered two wolf packs in the area, they also discovered a pit where farmers had been dumping dead cattle — a free, easy meal for the wolves.

Out of 142 fawns, 80 died in 3 years? 73% to predators, so less than 60? 60 over 3 year’s? So less than 20/year to predators, how many did bobcats actually take of that 20/year?

Out of the study, how many fawns/year did they collar?

A cattle pit totally discredits the study right off the bat, especially when they admit it skewed the study.

No offense but reading a magazine article with a really half hearted study, with to many holes to be deemed even remotely scientific, proves what, that bobcats are part of 20 fawn deaths a year caused by predators? That’s not that impressive to me. I’d be pretty happy with an overall fawn mortality rate lost to predators at less than 60 out of the small sample size of 142 studied over the 3 year period.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.