Cooking spam

• Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Well I tried to fry some spam last week and think maybe I did it wrong. I sliced it about a quarter inch thick ( against the grain ) lol but it was kinda mushy in the middle. Do you guys slice it thinner or is there a trick to it. Maybe real thin like bacon would be the way to go.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

As I’m likely one of only two Spam lovers on this site, I’ll be the first to speak up.

There really is no right or wrong, merely a matter of preference.

If you think you might prefer it sliced thin as bacon, by all means give that a try.

Sometimes I slice thin, other times thick like little Spam steaks. I’ll also dice up into cubes and add them to scrambled eggs, omelette, mac n cheese, scalloped potatoes. I usually always brown til crispy on the outside. No matter if it’s a bit mushy in the middle, that’s the texture that defines Spam.

No matter how I cook, I always slice off a couple pieces and eat right out of the can.

My tradition… cool

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Thanks, it sounds like I’ve got a couple more ways to try it before giving up on it. So far I’m a bit disappointed.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Thanks, it sounds like I’ve got a couple more ways to try it before giving up on it. So far I’m a bit disappointed.

Do you like regular hot dogs…skinless weiners? If so, then how different (dissapointed) were you eating Spam? I find the taste and texture very similar. Just a cube or rectangle as opposed to a tubular treat.

Now if you exclusively prefer skin on, coarse ground hot dogs…I can understand why you may not like Spam.

Or maybe you don’t like/eat hot dogs at all? If so, forget the Spam trial and send myself or BK any remaining inventory you may still have in your cupboard. laugh

tradersbayrookie

My favorite way to eat spam:

Cut it about 3/8 thick at most, so you have a handfull of 1.5″x3″ slices.

Fry in a pan with no oil at mediun until the outsides are crispy. About 5+ minutes a side.

Scramble up some eggs and make some toast.

Make a sandwich with 2 scrambled eggs, a layer of spam, and your prefered salsa. Nothin better.

All in all i think its best when you have some crisp on the outside.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Cut into small cubes and fry until crispy on all sides and mix with hash browns, onions, peppers and eggs.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Sell the house it was cooked in & be sure to put in a disclaimer like you do with drug houses.

Sharon
    SE Metro

I like SPAM and agree with the cooking ideas already suggested. I will add it’s delicious cubed, tossed around in a pan to sear the edges, then added to a pot of mac & cheese! 😋

I will admit too it’s tastey right out of the can! Sometimes I sneak a few nibbles when cubing and slicing.

Mark Uidenich

My Grandma used to bread it. It was actually pretty good

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

My Grandma used to bread it. It was actually pretty good

So,” Chicken fried spam “ !!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I just boil this in a quart of Hamms.
    Nothin better. whistling

Attachments:
    1. 4e070fb1-646a-4e61-8ad5-d6934d7d8d77_2.2ca3bd84e801cd7752989701fc971f4e.png

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

My wife puts a can of pork and beans in a glass casserole dish then puts slice spam on top and bakes it. I then like to put the spam flavored beans on mash potatoes and eat the spam on the side.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I like SPAM and agree with the cooking ideas already suggested. I will add it’s delicious cubed, tossed around in a pan to sear the edges, then added to a pot of mac & cheese! 😋

I will admit too it’s tastey right out of the can! Sometimes I sneak a few nibbles when cubing and slicing.

With Mac n Cheese!!!! Dang that’s good stuff!
    But the raw stuff, that’s a no for me!

dbright
    Cambridge

Summer time camping we will grill sliced spam over the fire. It definitely taste different than fried.

Go Spuds

Rub it in preferred bbq rub, put on smoker for a couples hrs. Near the end glaze with your fav sauce or pull it as is. It’s no brisket, but it’s not terrible!!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My favorite way to eat spam:

Cut it about 3/8 thick at most, so you have a handfull of 1.5″x3″ slices.

Fry in a pan with no oil at mediun until the outsides are crispy. About 5+ minutes a side.

Scramble up some eggs and make some toast.

Make a sandwich with 2 scrambled eggs, a layer of spam, and your prefered salsa. Nothin better.

All in all i think its best when you have some crisp on the outside.

I do this exact but with over easy eggs.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Hmm, lots of people eating this stuff. BK, all your advertising seems to be working! toast

robby
    Quad Cities

Ill stick with Sardines.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walleyestudent Andy Cox wrote:</div>
    I usually always brown til crispy on the outside.

What does “usually always” mean? Usually or always?

Doah doah

Ugh…and I pride myself in most always being pinpoint in my communication. blush

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I agree with Wallyhntr,and take the first offer.No matter how low.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hmm, lots of people eating this stuff. BK, all your advertising seems to be working! toast

??? What advertising? I just talk about good food and good fun!

Yeah, I don’t think there’s a “best way”. Since it’s cooked in the can already, eating it raw is ok….although not for me. My Favorite Wifes friend likes eating it with a spoon.

I picked up a “Spam Slicer” a few years back. Seemed kind of silly to use a slicer when a knife would work, but it cuts them the same way each time and the end cut isn’t a little larger then the rest.

Might want to try starting it on a lower heat and then add more heat towards the end to help with a mushy middle.

Add sliced or chopped onions…I had sauerkraut the other day.

Spam isn’t for everyone but then neither is prime rib. crazy

ThunderLund78

Oh Man, one of my FAVORITE things is sliced spam fried so it’s just a little crispy on the outside, put on toast with mayo and mustard!

Also – I have a GREAT open-faced pizza burger recipe using spam, I will post if I can dig it up.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Since no one has mentioned it yet, open (or not) outside your house, put directly into garbage. Order pizza or make anything else. rotflol

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

We slice the loaf in half, then slice it thin maybe 1/8 inch or so, fry it until it is crispy on the outside. Serve with cheese and crackers.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I picked up a “Spam Slicer” a few years back. Seemed kind of silly to use a slicer when a knife would work, but it cuts them the same way each time and the end cut isn’t a little larger then the rest.

Those of us that don’t just mess around with Spam would have the official Spam slicer, that of which I too am a proud owner/operator.

I just sliced this now which will be the feature ingredient in Thunderlund’s recipe for tonight’s dinner. I have all the ingredients except for one. I will make it with another twist.

I’ll report back later…

Attachments:
    1. 20201116_134427.jpg

2. 20201116_134555.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Nothing better than licking the glaze off a fresh loaf of Spam. shock toast

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

A few leftover pieces from last night’s dinner were welcomed into this morning’s smiling Sunshine omelette. cool

Attachments:
    1. 20201117_100947.jpg

Sharon
    SE Metro

A few leftover pieces from last night’s dinner were welcomed into this morning’s smiling Sunshine omelette. cool

That. Is. Awesome, Andy!! )

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.