Converting to electric lawn/garden eqipment – A full season report.

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Well, I done did it. At the beginning of this past summer, I needed to buy a string trimmer. So I decided to do a little science experiment and go electric on all my smaller lawn/garden equipment just to see what it’s like and if I liked it better. Even though I fix small engines for quite a few people every year and I’m more than capable of keeping my own equipment running. But for about the past 3 years as I’ve watched the capability of electric power equipment go up and up AND at the same time the price has come down, I’ve suspected that the average homeowner user would be better off with electric. It just eliminates so many hassles, or so I thought. Time to see for myself.

I can hear what some are thinking. “That’s crazy, Grouse. You’re a small engine guy. Are you going all Tesla-driving eco warrior on us? Just fix your old stuff and keep on rolling 2-stroke smoke, brother.” No, I haven’t Teslaed up. I needed to buy a string trimmer for the fishing camp in Canada anyway, so I decided to donate my well-used Husqvarna 128 trimmer and buy a new one for me.

My sons and I do a LOT of lawn mowing. In addition to our lawn, we also do the church’s residence for the pastor and through a church organization, we do 3 more lawns for elderly residents who need it and cannot afford commercial lawn service. My youngest son also has his own lawns he gets paid to do. On average, we mow/trim/blow 4-5 different lawns per week at least and we do other necessary maintenance such as tree trimming as needed.

I replaced my 2-smoker trimmer and blower with:

Milwaukee M18 Fuel string trimmer kit.
    Milwaukee long-reach articulated hedge trimmer that works with above powerhead.
    Milwaukee long-reach pole saw. Which also works off of the same powerhead that drives the trimmer.
    Milwaukee M18 blower.

The choice of Milwaukee was 100% driven by the fact that I already have Milwaukee tools and M18 batteries and I’ve never had a bad tool from Milwaukee in 40 years of ownership.

Here are my season-long thoughts.

M18 String Trimmer – Awesome. I was an instant fan from the first use. Love it, would NEVER go back to a 2 stroker for the following reasons. First, it has all the power I need for lawn use and what surprised me is that it makes different power compared to gas equipment. Electric tools have superior torque, so there is no need to run the trimmer at WOT all the time. This tool has all the power of a gas version and then some, even at low RPMs there is plenty of grunt.

The best part though, is the total lack of noise and stink! No hot/sweaty ear muffs are required, no yelling over machine noise, and no stinking like smoke. Total Win. Another win is no starting the machine, shutting it off, restarting, etc. Pull the trigger and go.

And what about battery life? I use 5 AHR batteries because that’s what I already have and that is PLENTY of battery to hundreds of feet of trimming on the bigger lawns that we do. I would estimate that I can trim for 30-40 actual run-time minutes on a full battery. Which is more than enough to take care of the average suburban lawn’s trimming needs about twice over. On most of the places we mow, I can do the trimming on 2-3 lawns before the battery is low.

The hedge trimmer and pole saw attachments are like striking gold. The ability to reach 15+ feet in the air to trim branches with the pole saw is just so much safer and easier than climbing a ladder. The hedge trimmer was the biggest surprise. I thought I’d only use it a little, in fact, it’s so easy and productive, I use it all the time.

M18 Blower – Works great. I would say it has very comparable blowing power to a hand-held gas blower which is to say plenty for the home user.

Now we get to a little more of a mixed bag, however. I do like that it IS quieter than my old Stihl and of course, no stinkly gas exhaust fumes, but…

It’s still loud enough and with a high pitch, that I prefer to wear earplugs if using the machine at full speed. Also, since a blower has a constant load on the engine, the battery life is relatively short. About 15 minutes of steady blowing maximum on a 5.0 ahr battery at full power.

But of course, now the question is, how often do I just pin the throttle and blow for 15 minutes? Almost never. So in reality, for most mowing days, like the trimmer, one battery on the blower will do 2-3 normal residences. Doing a large property with a long driveway will take up most of one 5 ahr battery, but it does it just fine.

Obviously, I get that stumping up for an 8-10 ahr battery would be desirable in some instances, but has it been necessary to use these tools for a LOT of trimming and blowing? No!

Bottom line after a full summer of use: I think for the average homeowner-type user, electric power equipment is a complete win. Easier to use, all the power you really need, no gas/oil mixing, no starting, no storage/fuel/maintenance issues with plugged carbs and other fuel-related issues, and the units are quieter than their gas companions.

Oh and a final ancillary benefit. When Mrs Grouse wants the patio cleaned off, she now does it herself by grabbing the Milwaukee blower and pulling the trigger. THAT never happened back in the gas era.

Anyone else tried electric? What did you think?

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

I have DeWalt’s, a trimmer and blower.. really like both.. gave away my gas blower!!

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I went with a Dewalt 20v trimmer because I already had a number of woodworking tools to share batteries. 2 acre rural lot and I can do all my trimming with on 5ah battery. I’m happy with it. I noticed the same thing about not having to run at full “throttle”. Will eventually pick up a small chainsaw for smaller work. SIL has a full set of Milwaukee tools for their wooded city lot. I’ve been thoroughly impressed seeing what his mower, polesaw, chainsaw, trimmer, and blower can do.

Stanley

I have a dewalt blower and use it all the time. I have an electric one also with a cord that I never really used mostly due to inconvenience so was hesitant on buying the battery one but I’m glad I did. Still have a gas trimmer but mostly because it still works fine and I have the pole saw kit for it as well. When I need to replace it I will go battery for sure.

Tony Hanson

I currently have all Stihl 2-stroke equipment and have been more than satisfied over the years. But, in all honesty, if I were starting over today there is no doubt in my mind that I would go electric. Neighbor at the lake has the M18 trimmer that you have and I’ve used it several times, it’s everything you could ask for. I have the Dewalt version of the pole saw you mention (mainly because I already have Dewalt tools and it’s amazing what that thing will do with even a 4ah battery.

I’m sure my Stihl equipment will likely last me long enough that I’d never truly need to replace, but your last point about the Mrs. now using the equipment herself may just be the motivation needed to change!

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’ve heard really good things about the Milwaukee M18 Lawn Mower, the price isn’t that crazy when you buy it without batteries, so look into that for your next replacement purchase…

I made the switch to Echo 56v Trimmer, Blower and Chainsaw a year ago and I will never go back to gas…I still use a Toro Super Recycler gas mower because it runs like a top and has electric start. If/when that ever dies i’ll switch my mower to battery powered.

I’m envious you have everything now with one brand, I still use old Dewalt 18v power tools that work just fine and now have 3 Echo yard tool products. Eventually i’ll switch everything to one brand (probably Milwaukee) but that’s not going to be cheap…

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I agree on the blower. The Milwaukee blower that takes the dual batteries works very well and I’d never go back to gas for this. I do still have the large Stihl gas backpack blower they make for blowing larger areas and piling leaves. It will literally move gravel into piles, but is overpowered and obnoxious for probably 90% of what I need.

It will be a while before we go with any electric mower. I mow too much grass (2.5 acres with a lot of hills + addional miles of trails, field accesses, and fencelines) to make it worthwhile. I currently run a JD X540 and a Diesel Kubota Zero turn. I also have a set of beater blades that run down brush around culverts which I’m not sure electric will be up to. Someday that reliable long lasting power will be there with electric, but not any time soon for my needs. If I lived in town had an acre or less of grass to mow, I’d already own electric though.

Milwaukee Pole Saw – if you haven’t, make the switch. It’s every bit as good as our older Stihl gas one and cuts just as fast without any mixing gas, excessive noise, and it seems lighter too.

I haven’t tried an electric trimmer yet, mainly for the same reasons as the mower. I’ve got a Stihl with the dual handles and harness that eats brush. I have two different heads with one having standard line and the other being set up for a small blade and brush. My wife has been asking about an electric one that she could use just around the landscaping and foundation…and I’m sure for that one would work perfectly and be more logical.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I have DeWalt’s, a trimmer and blower.. really like both.. gave away my gas blower!!

What do you think of the sound level on the DeWalt blower? Loud/high enough to warrant ear protection?

My biggest wish out of all this is that the Milwaukee’s tone was lower. It’s like a shop vac, it has a high whistle that I feel is enough to require ear protection.

Will eventually pick up a small chainsaw for smaller work. SIL has a full set of Milwaukee tools for their wooded city lot.

Regarding the pole saw, one battery lasts about as long as my arms and shoulders last. I had to trim blowdown trees up at the farm and by the time one battery was shot, I had trimmed and dragged enough branches that I was also in need of a recharge. Unfortunately, the Milwaukee charges faster than I do.

Again, for your average homeowner user, I would say the electric chainsaw is MORE than enough to do everything you need to do. Obviously, as any boob would know, it’s NOT going to be the right tool for high volume firewood cutting, logging, etc. But the VAST majority of us ain’t doing those things, we’re spending an hour cutting up the tree that fell over in the last storm.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I went and tried the string trimmer this year because I was tired of loading the head on the one I had. After two weeks I gave my Toro Pro trimmer away and never thought about it twice. Like Grouse said, more than enough power and the battery still has juice after I am done. I picked up one of the leaf blowers a couple of years ago. I use it a lot to blow out the shop, driveway, deck, and my wife will also use it. She would not touch the gas backpack leaf blower. The run time is just not long enough to take care of the fall leaves. It works great at blowing out the rain gutters and everything else through out the year.

Reef W

I have Ryobi 40v mower, trimmer, blower, snowblower, and getting chainsaw soon. The mower (cheapest one) works well enough but isn’t great, good enough for suburban 1/4 acre lawn though. Everything else works really well and even though I pull out gas snowblower for big jobs the tiny light battery one is nice for lighter snowfalls.

I have Milwaukee tools but have never really needed more than a couple smaller batteries so I leave that separate.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m on year 2 of an Echo string trimmer. Way better than gas.

I’m toying with the idea of a battery mower now.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i dont own nor do it think i will own anything battery operated to that extent. yea i got cordless drills etc, but lawn equipment??????

as Grouse put it…….going Tesla……..it depends on how deep into it a person thinks. to each there own bit i like my gas stuff. i cant wrap my head around the idea that some dont understand where that juice really comes from to charge it plus where these worn out batteries go. not all of it is recycleable. then what goes into making said batteries!!

but each to the own !!!! waytogo

JEREMY
    BP

I use a 12 amp battery on my Milwaukee trimmer when I trim apple trees and stuff in my food plots. Lot of times the grass is waist high and handles it with ease. Pole saw does work great. Think my trimmer head and blower are beginning to wear out though. Make alot more noise then they used to. My parents have dewalt trimmer and blower and when they use mine when they are over watching the kids sometimes they say my Milwaukee stuff is way better.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I plan to move this direction and am having a hard time choosing what to go with. I have Dewalt tools and batteries. I was planning on going with the Dewalt mower blower and trimmer. My concern is that maybe I should consider going with the E Go brand since they are a company that to my knowledge started making lawn mower type stuff, not a company that made tools and decided to get into this market.

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

Mike Schulz wrote:

What do you think of the sound level on the DeWalt blower? Loud/high enough to warrant ear protection?

My biggest wish out of all this is that the Milwaukee’s tone was lower. It’s like a shop vac, it has a high whistle that I feel is enough to require ear protection.

yes it can get loud on full power, I only use it bursts so not so bad..

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have found no reason to switch, all my gas equipment works wonderful, all with virtually 0 maintenance. Until the day they all die off I won’t be switching. But a battery pole saw would be so nice for trimming shooting lanes.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I plan to move this direction and am having a hard time choosing what to go with. I have Dewalt tools and batteries.

To me, the fact that I already had 12 of the Milwaukee M-18 cordless tools meant that I will be buying M18 batteries for the rest of my life, basically. No way am I going to get any other brand and I’m not going back to corded tools, that’s for sure. Basically, the decision makes itself for anyone just interested in the handheld power equipment which was my situation.

However…. I’m totally with you on the fact that if you’re considering some of the larger equipment like a lawn mower or snow blower, then that opens up the whole question of what’s the best of breed vs just going with more of what you already own.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Welcome to the club! I’ve been team Toro/Tesla aka Tesloro for a few years now, including mower, chainsaw and snowblower and have no regrets. Plus with all the batteries I have now, I can keep running far beyond any of my suburban needs. Going to give the chainsaw it’s first real workout this weekend at the hunting land, and excited to see how that goes.

Riverrat

I have Ryobi blower, and trimmers, and have for awhile. The 40 volt does just as well as any gas trimmer I ever had and that is still hanging in the shed because the carbs all gummed up or something. I need a chainsaw though and since I have a bunch of 40 volts, I’m going to grab a 40 volt chainsaw, and polesaw and see how they work out. I probably have 3 good gas mowers and 2 gas snowblower’s so I don’t see changing to electric there any time soon. Hoping for the best on the chainsaws and not just wasting my money. There’s a reason I have Ryobi and its not because I’m rich but frugal.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I run all Ryobi simply because I had the batteries. Like most, as my gas stuff needed repairs I swapped out for electric. Easier to use, quieter, and one of the biggest benefits is it’s lighter. My wife can use the equipment where before, especially the mower, was way too heavy.

To Glenn…no one is arguing about where the batteries go, how they recycle them, etc. Stop with that old argument. Bottom line is the battery powered stuff works as well or better for residential stuff. Once my snowblower dies I won’t even need gas cans anymore. That’s smells like freedom to me.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I run all Ryobi simply because I had the batteries. Like most, as my gas stuff needed repairs I swapped out for electric. Easier to use, quieter, and one of the biggest benefits is it’s lighter. My wife can use the equipment where before, especially the mower, was way too heavy.

To Glenn…no one is arguing about where the batteries go, how they recycle them, etc. Stop with that old argument. Bottom line is the battery powered stuff works as well or better for residential stuff. Once my snowblower dies I won’t even need gas cans anymore. That’s smells like freedom to me.

yea you got your opinion, I got mine. And you’d be hard pressed to not take those issues into consideration.

Whatever!!

KP
    Hudson, WI

I bought the Ryobi Blower 2 years ago just because Home depot was running a hell of a deal and its been great. Now I wish I would have bought Milwaukee just because I have Milwaukee drills but for the price at the time its been amazing.

Iowaboy1

WTH!!!!!
    Whimpy 18 volt?? No 48 volt forklift truck battery for back up??
    No Honda generator running in the back of the truck to charge the batteries???

GROUSE!! Turn in your man card !!

rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Ive used electric trimmer and blower for several years and concur.
    The question is, what about lawnmowers and eventually snow blowers.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I’ll admit I didn’t buy the Dewalt trimmer to be “green”. Actually like the smell of 2 stroke smoke. I certainly wouldn’t be ditching a working ICE tool just to go electric. Cordless electric is not for everyone, but they just plain work. And Glenn is right, recycling these batteries is going to be a huge issue in the future, if not already. Lithium is recyclable, but I’ve read that the cost to do so is way more than the cost to mine it in the first place. I don’t doubt that lithium will be replaced by the next best thing in batteries before too long.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.