Commuter car and truck

• AnotherFisherman

Drive the truck. That’s why you got it! I’m in a similar situation as you and I decided to just have the truck.

I also factor in the safety of a truck higher than most would.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

My commuter for in-town things is my 99 RWD silverado, with those near bald tires I get about 26 mpg and she’s fun to drift around too.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Something you’re not factoring in in this analysis is the depreciation

True, but that only factors in if the plan is to drive the new truck for a few years and then trade it or sell it. Driving it til it dies it’s just a matter of how many years it lasts, and at 12k miles a year it should be paid off many years before it dies.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

it should be paid off many years before it dies

Maybe he didn’t take a loan on it? He could have paid for it in one lump sum.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    it should be paid off many years before it dies

Maybe he didn’t take a loan on it? He could have paid for it in one lump sum.

Well it would still be paid off many years before it dies then, not? But he said in the original post he has a note on it, thanks tho Captain Nitpick! whistling rotflol jester

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

But he said in the original post he has a note on it, thanks tho Captain Nitpick

I musta missed that part. My bad

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

well thought i would update this thread. Im 3 years into ownership of the Tundra now. Its been a good truck. no complaints. its not fancy but thats fine. Anyway, during covid i was working remote full time. Starting last summer we transitioned to back in the office 2-3 days a week. Last week they sent out an email saying beginning of the year they want us back in the office 4-5 days a week. Around this same time my neighbors daughter got a new vehicle. This left them without a need for their 2001 Camry so we struck a deal.

Ive had it for about 2 weeks now and put about 500 miles on her. Drives nice. Has 210xxx. Has your typical issues for an older vehicle – little rust, leaks a little oil, crack in the windshield, no AC. But it has decent tires, has a radio, the heat works great and its super clean inside. What more could you ask for! Additionally, the neighbors are the original owners, and have had it since new

Cost to insure it with roadside assistance is $32 a month. Gas mileage is around 25MPG it seems. probably would be better in the summer. Overall who knows if it will end up saving me heaps of money but i only paid $500 for it which is unheard of these days for a running driving car and if nothing else it would help take some of the miles off of our newer vehicles.

Side note – its funny going back to driving a beater after driving a new vehicle for 3 years. Went to fill up the window washer fluid the other day and today checked and its gone lol. Noticed some old tape around the plastic container and put two and two together lol. Just got to go with the flow on these things.

Added bonus my son will be turning 15 this summer. I figure if this car lasts until he has a license this would be a perfect first vehicle for him.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Crappie55369, I just bought a 2009 Kia because I have 2 teen drivers and my insurance is sky high. Getting a liability only insurance car is saving me $$. It to needs little things, I have been slowly fixing or replacing as time allows. New front brakes and rotors $85 parts I did the work, put in LED bulbs. This was the biggest improvement over the orange old lights. DO IT TO YOUR 2001 makes night driving 1000% better. That car is what junk yards are for. Get that new washer fluid container LOL

big_g
    Isle, MN

For $18 and a little work, you can make it safer for your son ! Washer

ThunderLund78

Been thinking of grabbing a cheapie for myself as well since I’m driving in 3 days a week again. I’ve noticed used car prices are starting to come back down to earth a bit. Still high, but seems to be correcting. Will have a new driver in the house in Feb, as well. So trying to figure out what to do. He will be helping with cost and paying insurance on with whatever purchase is made.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

2016 Silverado 1500, 130k miles
    About 3 months ago bought a 2009 Malibu with 98k on the clock, paid cash.

For me it made sense. I know the Malibu’s original owners and know that the maintenance history. This is the 3rd time in my life I owned a car and a pickup, and this time I feel like I finally “did it right”.

First time I had a Truck paid off and a Car with a payment. Paid off the car and sold it, because I lived in apartments, was in college, and the math made no sense even with $4/ gal gas prices in 2010. 1997 C1500 and a 2005 Cavalier.

Next, I had a truck with payments and a POS car that I paid cash for. 2010 Silverado and a 2005 Cobalt with a salvage title. I hated the cobalt so much I simply didn’t drive it at all, sold it for $200 more than I paid in cash. Nice.

This time it all makes sense- truck is paid for and in great condition. Car is paid for and also in great condition. I drive the car every day and I find it somewhat enjoyable. It’s sluggish but averages 27mpg with the little ecotec 4 banger, more if I decide not to drive it like I stole it. The truck owes me nothing at this point and I drive it once a week to keep the fluids moving. It tows the boat all summer and will tow sleds all winter, but I don’t need to feed it $80/ week to drive to work and back. Truck keeps full coverage since it’s still worth 20k on a trade in, and car is on liability only which is pretty cheap.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’ve got a 2004 Impala LS (center shifter, 3.8L, leather seats)with ~149k miles that fits the “commuter car” bill. The 3.8L might have been the best thing GM ever did.

If any of you commuter car people on IDO are interested, let me know. I took it as payment for some work. It has a rebuilt title from an accident many years ago (rear ended – nothing electrical, frame was straight, repaired at an accredited place in MN). It’s got a little corner rust started, and I know the drivers’ window has been finicky (I’ll pull the panel off and scope it out one of these days). It’s got new front tires on it. The heat and AC both work as they should.

I rarely have to travel more than ~10 miles or so to work in any direction. We also have some old trucks for around the buildings and plowing to utilize as beaters when needed, otherwise I’d just keep it.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested. I’d rather not do the Facebook Marketplace mess if I don’t have to. I’m not trying to squeeze every dollar out of it, just move it on.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^BC has first dibs, but if he passes it’s fair game to whoever here on IDO at less than I’d put it for on Marketplace.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

That 3.8L is one hell of a motor

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I had one in a Grand Prix way back in my younger years that got me into more trouble than I needed and took more abuse than any car should. I think that one got to ~270k miles before a deer at 60mph did it in. Even at that point with some semi-regular oil changes, a top speed run every once in a while, floored takeoffs most days, and never sitting inside there was nothing that signaled its life was coming to an end.

Riverrat

Good luck finding a decent beater for 2000$. Especially during beater season. If you find a 90’s-2000s Buick with the 3.8 for under 3000$ and it runs good snatch it up, if you dont like it someone else will buy it. They are also great for learning drivers.

CaptainMusky

That 3.8L is one hell of a motor

Yep, they run forever. The only issue with them is the plastic plenum on them but that is a simple fix.

MX1825

The plastic plenum/intake was only a problem for a few years.
    We took care of a LeSabre many years ago. The owner got rid of it with 570k on it. It was still drivable. waytogo

Viewing 18 posts - 31 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.