Committee Formed – Lake City Dock Upgrades for Hok-Si-La & Roschen Park

• jimmysiewert

For anyone that has tried to launch at the public launches in Lake City at Hok-Si-La and Roschen Park – you are aware that the docks have been a safety concern for many, many years. For the volume of boaters, both recreational and anglers, these launches have totally inadequate docks.

We have started a grass roots campaign to work with the City of Lake City to finally improve this well needed upgrade. With the help of the Mayor of Lake City (Mark Nichols) we have formed a committee and have put together a proposal. We need all of your support and stories to share with the City Council. Please provide your safety concerns (both physical risks to us – but also your boats/equipment).

We are looking forward to hearing your support and stories on this topic. As mentioned – these responses will be shared with the public officials.

Jimmy Siewert

haleysgold
    SE MN

Well Jimmy, I hope you are able to get something done…anything would help.
    That’s a tough situation as those docks are exposed to rough seas a LOT.
    The tops get to be green and slippery.
    The water levels go up and down all season long so something that stays on top of the water would be nice. How that could be done is a good question.
    I know it’s a reach but if they could be enclosed somehow would also help. We’ve all launched there when the wind is whipping and your boat ends up on the dock, over shooting the trailer, you name it. A harbor would be the ultimate solution but probably not going to happen.
    I’ve always wondered what it would be like to dredge the bay at Hok-si-la and make 1 big harbor, launch and dock space to rent by the night. I guy can dream right! Again, very expensive as it would get flooded out every few years needing cleanup and reconstruction.
    Good luck though and Thanks for making the effort to get something done with both of them!

jimmysiewert

We are definitely making progress Haleysgold! We are pushing for a floating system (plans are already drawn up and have been in the past). Actually would save the City a lot of soft money as currently Streets and Parks are constantly moving in and out the docks – and it is a lot of time! I think everything will only revolve around docks for now for sure.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Hi Jimmy you and everyone involved are doing what I have wondered about for some 20 plus years.

Why are the docks so short? Why not float a section that extends off the original docks? This was my rant a few weeks ago, excuse my French:

Roschen and even Hoksila will test your skills for sure. I do it by myself 95% of the time and there are times it is just not possible by yourself. sure you might get out fine but then you have to think all day about how the hell are you going to make it back in. Sure would be nice for the city to add a section to those short docks to help people out. Not sure why this has not been done? For a couple thousand bucks, you could easily add a 20 foot section and float it off the existing dock. Another thing that just chaps my rear is the mob of boats within a hundred yard area of the landing. Why? There are a million other places to fish or lounge around but no, lets just clog up this area next to the launch? One time earlier this year some guy just tied his boat up to the dock and went up to have a fkn picnic and left his 3 kids splashing around the docks while others are trying to get in. This is not a beach or a marina but common sense must not be that common to some? Another busy weekend there was some kind of sale going on down the road so half the lot was full of cars taking up room where you park the trailers. this one clown was sitting in his car in the trailer turn around and it took all my might not to lose it after he said…..”do you need me to move”? Ummm ya you are parked in the fkn trailer turn around so maybe move your sedan the eff out of the boat launch????
    Sorry rant over! Im done going out on weekends, not good for my mental health

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Mostly Roschen but some signage might help out? No fishing/swimming off the docks? No parking in the trailer turnaround? Would be nice to have trailer only parking but that is a pipe dream. I have noticed most visitors do use the one stall spots so common sense is not completely gone. Cleats on the docks help out a ton to tie up while getting the truck with all the wind on said days.

Probably a bad time to bring all this to light with the high water but thank you for fighting the good fight! We appreciate you Jimmy

haleysgold
    SE MN

x1000 what Eyeguy said!
    Great comments!

Short docks really suck.
    Not sure how you would stop the idiots from tying up their boat to picnic and let the kids play but that really creates a mess for launching.
    Also agree that the parking of non-truck/trailers creates another huge problem but again, tough to enforce I guess

EW6

Just don’t add the super obtrusive railings like exist on the docks at the back channel launch by Hager city. I launch by myself 95% of the time with a roller trailer and a long rope and I’ve got to climb through those dang railings every time to get to the dock!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Side comment:

What was the height of the LC Gauge when Roschen and Hok si La closed?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.