Columbia river report 17lb 13oz

• dan(or)
    Portland, Oregon, USA

My buddy from Wisconsin flew out for a 9 days of October full moon fishing. AND WE NAILED THEM! I caught my personal best, 17lbs 13 oz, Steve had 4 fish in the teens and we caught 13 fish that were 10 pounds or more. All were released. method was three ways and bombers or rapalas (#18s) We also caught a couple of steelhead and a salmon.

I will post three pics.

dan

Out in Oregon land where the walleyes grow bigger and we caught a few!

dan(or)
    Portland, Oregon, USA
    dan(or)
    Portland, Oregon, USA
    dan(or)
    Portland, Oregon, USA
    rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

*YIKES*!!!!

there are some real beasts there!!

Nice PIX!!

thanks for sharing….

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

AWESOME!!! I gotta go to Oregon! Thanks for sending the pix. Whaat a fishery!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Yea~ha

Those eyes are real Hawgs !!!

Thanks for sharing guys. Does anybody do any handlining out there ?

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

hi dan (or), those are some serious Walleyes, thanks for the pictures. with the daylight pictures, are you catching them during the day, or catching them at night. most folks in the know here go out after dark. any rumors out there that there may be a world record in those waters ? with your more mild temps where you are, I sure would have to think the November periods would be the same or BETTER, if that’s possible. Keep sending those pics. thanks Jack.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Thanks Dan for sharing those pics. Some real mules I say!!

Any tips/locations for a newcomer to the river that may help him/her get on some fish. Depths, techniques, your favorite time of year for hogs?

Some day, I would like to get a piece of that as well.

Thanks again for sharing.

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

Holy [censored]. Nice, Very nice !!!
    What is the record weight out of the Oregon?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

WOW!! I keep saying, Oregon is one trip I’m going to make before the I join the walleye gods…..Thanks for some awesome pictures!!! Keep them coming.

mudlnthru
    Burnsville

Hey, Dan,

Great pics! I’m hoping to get out to the Columbia one of these days soon. I’ll let you know. Might not be until next year, but I have lots of family there and it would be fun to do some fishing on the river.

Keep sending reports! Makes my eyes water to think that they grow that big out there. Wonderful fish.

Mike

dan(or)
    Portland, Oregon, USA

Let me try and answer a few of the questions…

Handlining, bruce deshano was out last spring and showed me the ropes. The problem is both Washington and Oregon have a three hook rule, which means to be legal you need to remove hooks from the plugs. I have tried pole lining with some limited success, first fish was a 12.2 lber.

Most if not all ofthte fish are coming at night. There have been rumors of fish over 22lbs in the native nets and dnr nets but nobody has wieghted more than a 19+ lb fish since the natives have been targeting walleyes. Novemeber is good but the fog rolls in pretty hard and I don’t like playing bumper boats with barges.

We are taking fish at the normal river locations, up within 3 miles of the dam on current breaks and flats. nothing special except knowing the fish are there after many years on the Mississippi and Columbia. FALL is the time!

Record weight in Oregon is 19lbs 15oz caught 1990, washington 18lbs 15 oz caught 2002. There are not a ton of fish out here but what is here grows very big!

dan
    out in Oregon land trying to figure a way to work less and fish more in the fall -)

MrWillowcat
    Nelson Wisconsin

Hey dan,, ur going to have to tell ole steve to bring some of those bad boys home to the alma dam and release them,,get the genes going arround here,, (is it a carp,,, maybe a cat,,, no a 17lb eye) ,,,nice fish..

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Every time I see you post I KNOW I’m gonna wish – AGAIN………..that I was out there on that river with ya! Or at least nearby! What spectacular catches!

I wonder if we could organize a group trip out there for next fall??? Anyone? Ideas? I figure a group would help reduce some expense and of course, the more the merrier! It’s pretty hard for Dan to make the FTR get togethers……………maybe we could go to him!!!

LET’S DO IT!!!!!!

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Those are some definite beauties!! Thanks for sharing the pics. Dan, it looks like you do pretty good hand lining at night. Have you ever tried big plastics shallow out your way? We do good on the ol mighty Miss right when the sun goes down or real early in the morning using this presentation.

fireflick
    Alma WI

So what makes this fishery so good? Is lack of pressure? Good bait? Different breed of walleye?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.