Cold weather outboard motor tips

• Adam Jasken

When fishing in colder weather in boat what are some good tips on outboard motor maintenance. Is it safe to start motor and flush out water when leaving access or does most water drain out etc… Planning on making a trip to pool 4

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I tip mine up and down a few times.
    I also run mine for 3-5 seconds then tip a few more times.
    I change my own water pumps every 2-3 years and saw no issues (as some claim will happen) when I used to fish the river more often than I do now.

TripleA
    Blaine

When someone has a 2hr+ drive in 20F weather after leaving P4 would you worry about any water in the engine freezing? I just don’t see how tipping the motor up/down clears all of the passages?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

What would you worry about. Mine sits outside all winter with no problems. Tipping the motor up and down does get extra water out of it. Quick start of the motor will ge a little more. Even with this next trip out mine does not always pee right away. Just let it idle or take it easy and it will warm up and start peeing.

Keep up on your battery maintenance. Cold weather will take down a weak battery in a hurry. Jumper cables in the boat.

scott-k
    Red Wing

Outboards are made to self drain when tipped down. Do as Mark said. All will be fine.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Something I learned the hard way… if it is cold enough, do not freak out when you first fire the motor up, and it doesn’t pee. I was on pool 4, ten minutes later, so worried almost pulled boat back on the trailer after driving almost six hours through the night. Well below freezing temps, and I had never had a boat out in those cold temps before.

A fellow fisherman at the dock pointed out to just let it warm up… any newer motor has a thermostat, and it will not pee until it warms up. My buddy was already heading to get the truck. Saved the trip.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.