Clausing drill press parts

• Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I know this is a long shot, but this is the only forum I’m in, and I know there are some metal workers here. We have a Clausing 1764 drill press in the shop and the drive shaft snapped, anyone know of a place to get parts besides the manufacturer? I’ve looked all over the internet and can’t find anything. Thanks.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

You might want to look up ickler in St cloud. They make and do about anything.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

David, I have checked eBay and not the right parts. Glenn, I will look into them, thanks for the response. We have the equipment to fix it ourselves, but if I can find parts will be cheaper. Manufacturer wants $1000 for new parts, seems pretty ridiculous for a simple 40 year old drill press

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you got 40 years out of a machine $1,000 seems cheap if it will get you a bunch more years.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Yes it does, but if I can find parts for $200, that’s all the better, hence the post. To be honest the drill press probably isn’t worth $1000, and I’d just as soon scrap it, but was just curious.

Kyhl
    Savage

Sounds like there is a market for spindle shafts.
    For a grand, maybe pick up a used Clausing lathe and start making your own spindle shafts for sale.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Good luck.. We had a couple gears go out in our Clausing CNC lathe. Only 20 years old and we had to get them custom made. Cost lots of $$$$. Clausing isn’t the same Clausing business it used to be anymore and its next to impossible to find parts. Fortunately for us its a customers machine so we just use it to make their spin tools or run small batches of production parts thru it. One of the Main Boards went out as well last year, that took almost 6 months to get fixed.. not even a new one..

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

There is a used equipment dealer in Mpls. I don’t know if he sells any parts though. Been racking my brain all night but can’t remember his name. Sorry. sad

munchy
    NULL

How bad is it broken?

If it’s just snapped in two you could probably chuck it up in a lathe and bore a small dowel hole into the center of each end then put them together and weld. With a good enough welder it would probably be stronger than the original.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.