Clam's white ice shelters

• Chris Norlock

Just saw their new line is all white with a small red flag on top. How long until you here about someone getting run over

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

they look hideous and the flag only adds insult to injury

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Stencil MAGA in red next to the flag to make it look better lol

bfishn

Yeah I’ll stick to Otter.

Red Eye

Wonder if they changed the thing that actually needed a change? Quality.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Very doubtful.
    Some wicked snow storms on the lake you can all of a sudden be on top of a blue permanent shack before you see it. Let alone a all white shack with a tiny red flag

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

I thought I read its a special addition for Dave Genz, true?

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

They made them look like the original fish trap that Genz designed back in the 80’s for their 40th anniversary or something like that. I agree it’s not something I’ll be buying.
    My older clams were always good enough for me, though I fished in a brand new one last season and was not impressed at all.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Come on that would cost 3 cents more

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

This is why I like the Frabills…. they’re black. So even on a chilly day, if the sun is shining, it generates a lot of heat and you don’t need the heater.

Coletrain27

Those will look nice after dragging them through mud on a warm day along shore

Chris Norlock

Some wicked snow storms on the lake you can all of a sudden be on top of a blue permanent shack before you see it. Let alone a all white shack with a tiny red flag

Exactly and I’m worried about the people drinking and driving near my portable, let alone trying to CAMO MYSELF …

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I’ll bet their intended market is the all white truck, all white boat, white polo white shoes crew LOL

Seriously though aside from safety, I actually use and abuse my portables and this thing would be a dirty slushy mess in just one or two trips out.

Charles

What is up the flags this winter? I notice otter is doing the same thing.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I get the danger factor. I also think it is a good choice when you do not want to stand out. Those bright blue and black houses do seem to attract ALOT of attention. When a few of them all gather close together, Its just a matter of time a somewhat secret spot becomes the biggest house town on the lake. As far as the quality of the Clam houses go I’ve never had a problem with any of mine. I had a Otter for 1 season. Trying to load and unload one of those into the back of a pickup all ice season will lead to back problems at some point. They are well built but even the smallest ones are crazy heavy. They are probably great if you are always fishing with a buddy or are hooking it up behind a snowmobile or 4 wheeler.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I think in place of the flag they should have put a BIG mask – That would have been fitting for the year its being built. jester

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I had a Otter for 1 season. Trying to load and unload one of those into the back of a pickup all ice season will lead to back problems at some point. They are well built but even the smallest ones are crazy heavy. They are probably great if you are always fishing with a buddy or are hooking it up behind a snowmobile or 4 wheeler.

I have a herniated disk and scoliosis both of which cause me problems from time to time. i hear ya on being heavy but if you load and unload in certain ways its not too bad. I remove everything from the tub, lean the fish house at about a 70 degree angle so that the lower middle portion is resting on my hitch and the portion in the air is angled toward the inside of my SUV. Then i simply lift up on the bottom and slide it in. Works just fine without much strain on the back.

As far as clams go…. no thanks. i had an old Genz Trap 2 that i used for years when i was younger. It worked more or less. Was sort of like being inside a $50 camping tent in a rain storm – you were kind of out of the elements and certainly more comfortable then if you were just sitting outside but not better by much

Deuces

Thought it was determined flags were out, and strobe lights in

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m all for a white shack. I don’t fish where people can drive (I fish mainly early and late ice when the bite is better and the littering wheelhouses and traffic are at home). Anything extra to keep people away from me or seeing me is great. I’d imagine seeing a white shack at dawn or even on a bright day from more than a few hundred yards away could be challenging unless you’re specifically looking for it.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I got a Yukon Thermal last year and I was really impressed with the quality compared to the last Clam I had. The sleds are much thicker than they used to be, they are just as warm as the other thermal flip overs on the market. Had an Otter for two years previous. Would I say they are better? Probably not. But they certainly are on the same level in terms of performance and not the “crap” that a lot of people say they are on this site.

Alex Fox

When I saw this my immediate reaction was Fish Trap, new model…Death Trap!!! My guess is they had them completely designed and it was a lawyer in the room that said, hey, lets add a red flag (so they can find your body) for liabilities sake.

Flat light, light snow, and a white shelter is prime for disaster. I will not get in one period.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I got a Yukon Thermal last year and I was really impressed with the quality compared to the last Clam I had. The sleds are much thicker than they used to be, they are just as warm as the other thermal flip overs on the market. Had an Otter for two years previous. Would I say they are better? Probably not. But they certainly are on the same level in terms of performance and not the “crap” that a lot of people say they are on this site.

Don’t you have a sponsorship through them or something.
    They pay you to say these things.

The tough thing with clam is when you’ve seen and stepped in so many piles of poop on one goat path its really hard to get back on that same trail. Personally I’d never buy another one in my life.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m all for a white shack. I don’t fish where people can drive (I fish mainly early and late ice when the bite is better and the littering wheelhouses and traffic are at home). Anything extra to keep people away from me or seeing me is great. I’d imagine seeing a white shack at dawn or even on a bright day from more than a few hundred yards away could be challenging unless you’re specifically looking for it.

Why don’t you tell the people how you really feel

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Don’t you have a sponsorship through them or something.
    They pay you to say these things.

The tough thing with clam is when you’ve seen and stepped in so many piles of poop on one goat path its really hard to get back on that same trail. Personally I’d never buy another one in my life.

Yes I’m on the Clam team (hopefully I don’t have to leave the forum now), but that doesn’t mean I’m going to sit out here and lie to people. I’m giving you my honest experience with the brand. Not once have I said it’s the best or go out and buy one. I’ve fished in both Otter and Clam. There’s not much difference than the color and square poles. Maybe one lasts longer than the other but I’ve had two portables from both brands for two seasons each and never had any issues with either.

Chris Norlock

No comment on the colour from the “TEAM” member other than its “different” … its no “different” than all the snow in its surroundings that’s the problem

Karry Kyllo

I’ve had a Calm Jason Mitchell Thermal house for years now as well as a Clam Six Pack 1660 and I have no complaints with either. Unless something’s changed since I bought mine, the quality is very good in my opinion.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

No comment on the colour from the “TEAM” member other than its “different” … its no “different” than all the snow in its surroundings that’s the problem

The first time I saw it a few weeks ago I thought it was an issue. My response was not about the 40th anniversary shack. It was in response to Bearcat’s comment about overall quality of Clam flip overs, but you were probably too busy hitting the quotation mark key to notice that.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yes I’m on the Clam team (hopefully I don’t have to leave the forum now), but that doesn’t mean I’m going to sit out here and lie to people. I’m giving you my honest experience with the brand. Not once have I said it’s the best or go out and buy one. I’ve fished in both Otter and Clam. There’s not much difference than the color and square poles. Maybe one lasts longer than the other but I’ve had two portables from both brands for two seasons each and never had any issues with either.
    [/quote]

Sorry my response to you wasn’t meant to be any form of a insult.
    I was saying from my experience both my clam shacks were low quality and had big issues they wouldn’t fix, and then many of my friends have had huge issues that clam wouldn’t fix. Especially on the hub houses.
    I went frabil and was way happier then otter and I wont look back. Spending 500 plus on stuff you expect quality. When its not there or not dealt with by them then they loose the customer. I hear this from them more often then not.
    Quality is a issue all the way down to the jigs loosing paint after 2 sunfish. I bought a few hundred of there jigs when gander went out for 50 cents each. And im happy, if I paid 3.99 to 5 bucks I’d be irate. The quality again was not there.

Now back to the white ice shack, really dumb idea and I hope it doesn’t get people killed

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Sorry my response to you wasn’t meant to be any form of a insult.
    I was saying from my experience both my clam shacks were low quality and had big issues they wouldn’t fix, and then many of my friends have had huge issues that clam wouldn’t fix. Especially on the hub houses.
    I went frabil and was way happier then otter and I wont look back. Spending 500 plus on stuff you expect quality. When its not there or not dealt with by them then they loose the customer. I hear this from them more often then not.
    Quality is a issue all the way down to the jigs loosing paint after 2 sunfish. I bought a few hundred of there jigs when gander went out for 50 cents each. And im happy, if I paid 3.99 to 5 bucks I’d be irate. The quality again was not there.

Now back to the white ice shack, really dumb idea and I hope it doesn’t get people killed
    [/quote]

I didn’t take any offense to your comment Bearcat. I don’t care if people buy other brands. It doesn’t change anything for me and I respect other peoples’ opinions of gear. As I’ve said before, I’ve never had any issues with their stuff which is why I’m happy to be on their staff.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.