Clam Scout XL TC or Clam Scout XL Thermal?

• jumbo1619
    NULL

I am searching for a new one man flip over shelter. I do a ton of hole hopping and the one man flip over shelters are a must. I think I have it narrowed down to the Clam Scout XL TC or the Clam Scout XL Thermal. There is a $50 difference between the two, with the only noticeable difference to me is the thermal shelter has 600D Full Thermal, while the XL TC has only a Thermal cap. Is it worth the extra $50 for the full thermal verse the thermal cap, which I assume is found only on the top of the shelter. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Tight lines!

castle-rock-clown

Do you also bring a heater? And how long are you at each spot? If your mostly running and gunning and really only using the shelter as a carrying device that provides a seat and wind break then go as light as possible. If using to the extent that you would like it to help retain heat, then go full thermal. Happy hunting. As the saying goes, saving money and short changing yourself lasts as long as you own/use whatever it is you bought. Spending extra and being truly satisfied, the extra cost hit fades fast and is soon forgotten.

jumbo1619
    NULL

Thanks for the input castle-rock-clown! I will usually stay in a spot for 5-10 minutes, if fish are not located. Once I find a school if fish, I have sat on them from 5 minutes to 2 hours depending on the bite. I usually bring a heater as my past shelters were not thermal. I was considering the thermal, from the standpoint of potentially not having to bring my heater and to save on space and weight. The real question is by buying a full thermal will a heater still be necessary? If its still necessary for those cold days, then I will go the cheaper route.

castle-rock-clown

If you want to build heat then you will need a heater and the thermal will build and retain better. Remember that your ice suit is a double edged sword, it retains heat within itself, and minimizes the heat dissipated to the inside of your shelter. In my flip, a one man Clam Kenai, I use a Little Buddy heater which even though uninsulated works well.

Rope
    Kansas

I’ve had my XL TC, for a couple of years now, and if I had a chance to do it over I would go with the Thermal. Wasn’t a choice when I bought it though.

imhooked
    Oconomowoc, WI

Just to throw a mindset question in there. What are you prioritizing?
    -Mobility
    or
    -Heat

The thermal cap on the XLTC should be sufficient and then you can maintain mobility with the 4# less weight.

Follow-up with your decision and your decision reasoning. Very interesting post/question!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I put a sunflower in my 1-man (Uninsulated) With a 20# tank.
    Plenty of room; plenty of heat!!

Flip and pull to next hole, flip back down.
    True run/gun fishing.

WHen set up correctly there is no need to shut off the heater between moves.
    Heck; there is not even a need to check the weather forecast when you run/gun – hole/hop with your one man.

I use a frabil commando. Attached a smitty sled right to the plastic sled for effortless movement. I litterally drill a line of holes, and hop in the shelter and move to each one of them.

I don’t need the thermal fabric for that kind of fishing; But i could reduce the size of my heater if i had thermal.

Lawrence Luoma

I’ve ran a Scout TC the last two seasons and it has worked fine. I think you’ll find if you truly run and gunning the full thermal is worth the money as you won’t be firing up the heater much. Your body heat alone will be fine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.