clam or eskimo 1 man flip?

• adubs11

I just got back from a very cold but very successful trip to lake Winnipeg and Im already making plans for our next trip up. The biggest factor in our success I believe was the fact that we stayed mobile even with brutal cold temps. Im planning on buying a 1 man flip over to be able to move quickly, have my gear with and to be able to get out of the elements when needed. I’ve narrowed my search down to the clam legend xl thermal and the eskimo one enferno. Im certainly open to other suggestions, (otter or frabil) if you feel like Im missing something. I will be putting the shack in the back of my truck to transport and then will be pulling around by hand once on the ice. the eskimo looks nice but is the heaviest at 70 lbs…the extra 7″ of height of the clam is nice as well. Im leaning towards the insulated versions primarily so I don’t have to mess with a heater during most applications and use the extra insulation to keep it relatively warm. So hopefully a few of you guys have one or the other and have some feedback on what you like best or which one you prefer and why.

Thanks,

Adubs

watisituya
    North Metro

Just a suggestion, but have you considered the Otter cabin (2man)? It is just a tad bit heavier than the eskimo you are looking at and they have dropped quite a bit in price over the last few weeks at certain locations, plus you have the option to bring a friend if needed. 1 man shacks can get pretty tight, Im 6’2 and i always hated having to turn around with close side walls to grab gear, or leave certain items outside for more space…

I sold my eskimo 1 man flip and my Clam Bigfoot XL4000t a few months ago and picked up an otter lodge, I couldn’t be happier.

If your dead set on a 1 man, have you looked at the otter Hideout? Im usually not a brand ambassador but after setting up my otter and using it, I am very happy with the quality.

If your mind is made up between those two, id go with the clam XL, more space is always better in the long run in my book.

adubs11

thanks for the feedback, Im pretty set on the 1 man. There will be a few of us but the thought process is to each have our own to cover more water. I have an eskimo 949 that we used this year but the wind made it difficult so we’d end up having anchoring it down. This shack will pretty much only be used for lake Winnipeg so it needs to be built well and be able to stand up to harsh conditions.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’d get whichever has the stronger sled.

fyr55

I have the Clam XL thermal & love it- it’s nice to be able to stand & stretch your back without stepping out of your shelter- not that it was a deciding factor when I bought mine, but it comes with every option from Clam – Truthfully search around prices are coming down, (Scheels has the Jason Mitchel version a little cheaper!)-you might find a great deal- Good Luck!

billy03z71

I’d look at the otter cottage, built proof house and sled and it would offer plenty of room for one guy without being to big to handle by yourself.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I own a cottage. Terrific fish house. Most room of any 1 man and built otter tough. I’m not the biggest guy and can handle it on my own in and out of the truck. Probably weighs more than some of the others you mentioned but a smitty sled will help with that

holmsvc
    SE ND

I really like my eskimo wide one, but it would get destroyed if it was towed around. The sled is absolute garbage. IF they changed it to the sled on their new grizzly house it would be great! If you are running a snowmobile you could put a rack on it would work great. Also not having to extend all the poles is nice. The eskimo just has the one spreader bar.

reddog

Same shopping as you, but Im going the Otter route based on my research.

Lincoln Schultz

I have a eskimo 1 and have it set up similar to this https://youtu.be/R3mA_ycBBYM

the thing i wish it had was a thermal covering. If i was looking for something to sit in all day i would look for something a little bigger or if i was in extreme cold i would look for something thermal. For run and gun style and something where i can quickly set up to block wind or throw the heat on for a few minuets its perfect. Im 6 foot and my head can almost touch the top when the top is fully pulled over depending what im sitting on. not a big deal since im not in it all day anyway. the included chair seems strong and sturdy but that center leg can be a ball squisher and thats not a big deal either since i use something else for a seat. If your using it alot i would put somekind of protection on the bottom but i would suggest that on any sled style house you would buy. For a run and gun house you cant beat it for the price.

adubs11

I just ran a comparison between the clam xl legend and the otter hideout. the cottage seams to me to have the dimensions and weight (80lbs) of a two person rather than a true one person pull behind run and gun type shelter.

positives for clam XL
    7″ taller (67 vs 60 setup)
    5″ wider (44 vs 39 setup)
    5″ narrower ( 33 vs 38 collapsed)
    16″ shorter (44 vs 60 collapsed)
    has more fishable area ( 16 sq ft vs 12.6 sq ft
    both weigh 60lbs

positives for the otter
    4″ shorter height when collapsed (17 vs 21)

appears based on other measurements it must have a longer sled to store more gear. has 108″ length setup vs the 92″ of the clam, yet it has less fishable square footage.

I might just wait until the ice show in st paul next winter to pick one out where I can compare them and actually sit in them before purchasing. I wont need it until early ice next season and my next trip to Winnipeg in feb ’19 anyways. If I had to pick one now I think I would still lean towards the clam XL legend thermal based on dimensions.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I have the eskimo wide 1. It has a thermal top. I like it alot, but i just bought my cousins legend xl. We bought them the same day. Every trip we take i am jealous of his house, and all its roominess. Not anymore. The full thermal canvas is nice also. My son will get the wide 1 now.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I have two Clam Kenai Thermal that my dad and I use. They have mounted Buddy Heaters in them. Flimsy sleds, but they get the job done very well. Great value for the sale prices of $300.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.