Clam Conversion Kit vs. Nils Master Cordless Drill

• jumbo1619
    NULL

Last year I used the Nils Cordless Drill Auger (Orange). It cut so fast when paired with my Milwaukee 18v Fuel cordless drill. I did not like how the drill wasn’t supported (attached only by the hexagon adapter) and it was hard to keep the everything together when transporting on my 4 wheeler. I always felt the ruff 4 wheeler ride did damage the chuck in my drill. I am looking at the Clam conversion kit this year, as I really like how the plate supports the drill and acts more like a gas auger. With that being said, I don’t want to switch without knowing how fast the Clam conversion kit cuts through the ice. How comparable is it to the Nils Cordless drill auger? The reason why I went with the Nils is its ice cutting speed, but if the Strikemaster auger that comes with the Clam Conversion Kit drills quick holes, I will be making the switch. Thank you for the help!

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

I use a 5″ strikemaster lazer bit with mine and it rips through 12″ in less than 10 seconds I’d guess. Might be faster than that. I love mine. Got probably 18-20 holes with Skil Lithium battery last year through 24″ plus of ice. One of the best investments I’ve made.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Trust me you won’t be disappointed by the speed of the Clam drill plate. Super sharp blades and an aggressive cutting pitch on the 6″ that comes with the kit. I’ve had mine for two seasons now and punched thousands of holes with it. I may think of finally replacing the blades, but still not much difference from when they were new.

joshd
    Minnetonka

It looks like both of you are using the Lazer auger bit? Do you know of options to be able to redrill holes in a shack?

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

Lazer bit should work fine to reopen holes… at least it has in my experience.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.