Make your own colors

• gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Thought I was being clever by throwing several colors into one bag to make color selection easier. Bad idea! Keep your chartreuse colors seperate. I now have lots of white/char and char/oyster moxis, pulsars and paddles. Of course, these might just be the hot new color this year. I’ll let you know.

stratos_375
    Southern Wisconsin

I did the same one year with a bunch ring worms! They still caught fish but not near the numbers, I think it was more of a confidence issue…they ended up in the trash.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Transparent chartreuse can be the culprit in many cases of bleeding. Motoroil is another one that might as well as amber. The colorant used in producing the plastics has to be a “no-bleed” colorant to get around some of the problems seen like what you have just expeienced. When you purchase your plastics look at the oil inside the package. If it is crystal clear, the baits probably are color-fast. If that oil has color, leave those baits in that bag or in a compartment by themselves. You can always try bagging the colors you want along with a white one. If that white one takes color after a couple days, you’ll know which one or two are doing the bleeding so you can segregrate those colors in the future.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Same thing happened to me. I used them all any way and they all caught fish. I agree with whoever said it was more of a confidence issue. I try and have confidence that I put the bait in the right spot, regardless of it’s color.

Think about this though….how many things in nature are just one solid color? Most things are streaky/mottled/blotchy looking so they can hide better. You might have made all of those plastics better!

Rootski

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

Think about this though….how many things in nature are just one solid color? Most things are streaky/mottled/blotchy looking so they can hide better. You might have made all of those plastics better!
    Rootski

And consider too that the fish are seeing things in a liquid environment. What we see and what they see are two different things, especially with colors.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Dont store them yet either. Nothing wrong with blending a few colors. Ill mix a few different colors in a bag to get what I want. Markers are another good way to color them. Had a post going last fall on how to mod your plastics like this.

Ryan Repke

If anyone in the future is going to throw away lures/baits, please let me know ill gladly take them off your hands.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.