Christmas Lake in Shorewood Temporarily CLOSED!

• carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Heard from a friend about this so went by on my way home from Excelsior to check it out.
    YUP, the Access is CLOSED!

Like they think the Zebra Mussels are limited to just the bay with the Access?

They must believe money grows on trees too!

Attachments:
    1. 20140822_141305.jpg

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Here is full view of closure and close up of Entrance lane.

Do they really believe they (Veliger’s) are not already spread Lake wide?
    I believe this is just a way to keep or make the lake PRIVATE as the lakeshore owner want this lake.

Driving by the lake, there were boats out on the lake, the Lakeshore Owners can still play in their now Private Lake and spread the Zebra Mussel Larvae (Veliger’s) around the rest of the lake and the rest of us will be blamed!

Just My Personal Opinion!

I’ll see if I can get some photo’s tomorrow of boats out on the lake while the access is closed. I just want to have the MnDNR & City explain to me how they can be running all over the lake is not potentially spreading the Veliger’s around?

Letter going out and I’ll post it and replies here.

Attachments:
    1. 20140822_141347.jpg

2. 20140822_141244.jpg

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Guess Im not seeing the connection with shutting down the landing and keeping the zebs from spreading. So if this works does this mean we can plan on many more shut down landings?

desperado

temporary ?
    temporary actions from this state gov’t ?
    like the temporary sales taxes to pay for the Metrodome ?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Did anyone call that number? If so what did you say?

By the looks of that, you’d think the lake had Ebola.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Seems as though they’ve closed it just in time for the weekend so that no one can take a call. Hmmm.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Seems as though they’ve closed it just in time for the weekend so that no one can take a call. Hmmm.

Yes, I just called and left a message for administrative staff.

Likely no reply until Monday

deertracker

Maybe a few thousand messages monday morning would help. -)
    DT

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

DT

Agreed. I’m in.

Maybe we can draft a uniform message for all of us to leave them a message with all of our concerns.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

News Release from MCWD on City Webpage:
    http://www.ci.shorewood.mn.us/pages/envmt/Zebra%20Mussels%20News%2008-19-14.pdf

City of Shorewood Webpage with Notice, 2nd link is to photo of Sign on Barricade at Access:
    http://www.ci.shorewood.mn.us/

Call City Hall, Number from the Sign: 952-960-7900
    Email City Hall: [email protected]
    Shorewood Mayor:
    Scott Zerby [email protected]
    City Council members:
    Laura Hotvet [email protected]
    Debbie Siakel [email protected]
    Kristine Sundberg [email protected]
    Richard Woodruff [email protected]
    (Note: the Mayor Scott Zerby, council members Debbie Siakel & Laura Hotvet are up for Re-Election with terms ending in Dec. 2014).

Bill Joynes, City Administrator, 952.960.7905 [email protected]

Let’s flood them with emails and the City with phone calls. Please be respectful, but to the point of Why this closure does not make sense.

PS: This information, webpage, phone numbers and email addresses with names is all public information available from their City Webpage.

desperado

DT

Maybe a flaming bag of dog poop on Joe Scheider’s doorstep would help

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

This is the article in the Chanhassen Villager newspaper from earlier this with, with a few of my comments.

http://www.chanvillager.com/news/zebra-mussels-confirmed-in-christmas-lake/article_3efd14a0-2d7d-548d-994b-3e7b4534ca28.html

My last comment:

Should NOT a RAPID Response to a NEW INFESTATION been PLANNED so Action could be immediate to try and Eradicate them?

Why was a “RAPID RESPONSE PLAN”, Not PLANNED a Long Time AGO?

Do they really believe they are NOT already spread throughout the whole lake?

If, as the MCWD & MnDNR has stated that the Zebra Mussels found have been there for a couple months?, that would mean the lake was infested with Veliger’s (Zebra Mussel Larvae) back around the beginning of June, thus with all the boat traffic, High Water Levels, Heavy Rainfalls that the Zebra Mussels/Veliger’s were not spread through-out the whole lake.

As stated by the MCWD, they didn’t find them on July 29th, but them found them a week ago, on Saturday Aug. 16th. they’ve been there for a few months. Thus, They missed seeing or feeling them until last Saturday.

They expect us to believe they are not already spread around the lake and that there are no more than just around the access dock?

Do they take us as being STUPID?

They must have been smoking some of the MEDICAL Marijuana from Colorado soon to be available in Minnesota.

Oh, Yes, and the Fact that the Christmas Lakeshore Owners now temporarily have the PRIVATE LAKE they strongly have desired.

I drove by today and saw a few boats out running around, Skiers, Wakeboarders, etc. out spreading Veliger’s around their precious PRIVATE LAKE!

Just my opinion.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I drove by today and saw a few boats out running around, Skiers, Wakeboarders, etc. out spreading Veliger’s around their precious PRIVATE LAKE!

Funny, but true, and now sadly angered. How many steps are there?

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Seems to me the letters should be focusing in INCREASING the restrictions.
    If the stated intent of the ramp closure is to stop the spread WITHIN the lake then they are going about it the wrong way. Stopping public ramp access apparently does not stop all boating activity. Boating activity is boating activity, regardless of whether the boat leaves from the access or leaves from a private dock.

You guys need to call for ALL boating activity to be CLOSED, whenever the PUBLIC access is CLOSED.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So who is the contact at the DNR about this?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Seems to me the letters should be focusing in INCREASING the restrictions.
    If the stated intent of the ramp closure is to stop the spread WITHIN the lake then they are going about it the wrong way. Stopping public ramp access apparently does not stop all boating activity. Boating activity is boating activity, regardless of whether the boat leaves from the access or leaves from a private dock.

You guys need to call for ALL boating activity to be CLOSED, whenever the PUBLIC access is CLOSED.

I think this pretty much states what needs to be done.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Yes, there are two more questions here for the DNR:

1. Who owns this access? Is it the DNR, the City of Shorewood, who?

2. If the DNR owns or funds any part of this access, were they actually consulted and did they approve this banning of the public from a public lake?

The sign posted strongly suggests that the city or some QUANGO has enacted this closure. If the DNR owns or funds an part of that launch and they were not consulted and gave approval, the closure may well be illegal.

This situation needs to be brought under control. There seems to be way too many decisions being made by unnamed people with very questionable authroity. The lakeshore owners association needs to be distanced from this process because they have a conflict of interest.

Grouse

mike_v
    carver Mn

If I remember correctly Christmas lake is connected to Tonka by a underground canal, so it was probably just a matter of time before zebras found there way into Christmas.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Huntindave wrote:</div>
    {clipped}

I think this pretty much states what needs to be done.

Right on TOM, Agree,
    If the Access is Closed ALL Watercraft Activity should be BANNED on the lake!

matt

I would bet it was a lakeshore owner that introduced them to the lake anyhow.They seem to be the ones who disregard regulations the most-cutting vegitation and so on.When the no wake zones popped up this spring on area lakes the main violaters I saw were lakeshore homeowners themselves.Im glad the zebbies spread to “their”lake little whiny b@$#!’s

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So if the DNR is involved in this will this be standard procedure with other lakes and accesses? Can we expect to see Mille lacs, Mississippi river and the hundreds of other landings closed now due to infestation?

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mike W wrote:</div>

Yes, there are two more questions here for the DNR:

1. Who owns this access? Is it the DNR, the City of Shorewood, who?

2. If the DNR owns or funds any part of this access, were they actually consulted and did they approve this banning of the public from a public lake?

The sign posted strongly suggests that the city or some QUANGO has enacted this closure. If the DNR owns or funds an part of that launch and they were not consulted and gave approval, the closure may well be illegal.

This situation needs to be brought under control. There seems to be way too many decisions being made by unnamed people with very questionable authroity. The lakeshore owners association needs to be distanced from this process because they have a conflict of interest.

Grouse

To the best of my knowledge and research,
    this access was purchased & developed with the help of DNR Funds, owned by the City of Shorewood.
    Major point of agreement was the Access must be open 16-hours per day!
    Thus, when the gates were installed, the open at 6am and close at 10pm each day.

To answer Mike W. question, on MnDNR contact, I would assume start from the top down thru the AIS Staff:

DNR Central Office
    500 Lafayette Road
    St. Paul, MN 55155-4040
    (651) 296-6157
    (888) 646-6367
    [email protected]
    TTY: (651) 296-5484 or (800) 657-3929

Thomas J Landwehr Commissioner-Natural Resources
    Department of Natural Resources
    Box 37
    500 Lafayette Rd
    St Paul, MN 551554037
    [email protected]
    Phone: 651/259-5022

DEPUTY COMMISSIONER Dave Schad
    Email: [email protected]
    Phone: 651/259-5025

Government Affairs
    Bob Meier, Policy & Government Relations Director
    Phone: 651/259-5024

Assistant Commissioner Community Relations and Regional Operations
    Mike Carroll
    Phone: 218/308-2629

Sherry Enzler General Counsel, MnDNR
    Email: Not Available
    Phone: 651/259-5066

Heidi Wolf, Watercraft Inspection Program Coordinator, St. Paul,
    Phone: 651/259-5152

Here is a whole list of contacts for those involved with Invasive Species at the MnDNR:
    http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/ais/contacts.html

Watercraft inspection program
    Primary contacts for questions about the watercraft inspection program, boat decontamination questions, outreach for awareness events at water accesses, and how to get a sign for a local access.
    Heidi Wolf, Watercraft Inspection Program Coordinator, St. Paul, 651-259-5152
    Central Region
    St. Cloud Evan Freeman
    Inspection Supervisor 320-223-7845
    St. Paul Adam Doll
    Inspection Supervisor 651-259-5835
    Additional contacts:
    Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention
    Questions on aquatic invasive species permits, aquatic invasive species laws and regulations, education and public awareness, and risk assessment. Kelly Pennington
    AIS Prevention
    Coordinator 651-259-5131
    Aquatic Invasive Species Management
    Questions on technical and financial assistance for aquatic invasive plant management and permits for Invasive Aquatic Plant Management. Chip Welling
    Aquatic Invasive Species Management Coordinator 651-259-5149
    Training
    Questions on aquatic invasive species training programs for lake service providers. April Rust
    AIS Training
    Coordinator 651-259-5706
    Aquatic Invasive Species Communications
    Media inquiries on aquatic invasive species, stakeholder relations, product development, and special events. Marjorie Casey
    AIS Communications 651-259-5132
    Supervisor of Invasive Species Program
    Questions on overall invasive species program, policy and direction, legislative issues. Heidi Wolf
    Invasive Species Program Supervisor 651-259-5152
    Enforcement
    Questions on enforcement of invasive species laws. Cory Palmer
    Conservation Officer 507-359-6040

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

My letter being emailed out:

Dear City of Shorewood, Mayor, Administrator & City Council:
    CC: MCWD Board, Exec. Director and AIS Director, Commissioner of MnDNR & Staff:

Re: Closure of Christmas Lake Access

First, I will state that nobody I know wanted to see the day come that Christmas Lake, nor any other lake in Minnesota became infested with any form of AQUATIC INVASIVE SPECIE, and surely not the ZEBRA MUSSEL!

I find this really “unconstitutional” as far as Minnesota Public Water Law goes, as it does not truly serve a Public Service nor does it Prevent the spread of Veliger’s throughout the lake.

But, more importantly a few comments and personal opinions about this action. considering the News Releases by the MCWD & MnDNR about this Infestation and Finding of Zebra Mussels at the Christmas Lake Access.

References used:
    http://www.ci.shorewood.mn.us/pages/envmt/Zebra%20Mussels%20News%2008-19-14.pdf

Zebra mussels confirmed in Hennepin County’s Christmas Lake: News Releases: Minnesota DNR

Zebra mussels confirmed in Hennepin County’s Christma…
    The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has confirmed that zebra mussels were found in Christmas Lake in Shorewood, just south of Lake Minnet…
    View on news.dnr.state.mn.us
    Preview by Yahoo

First, Does anybody really believe the Zebra Mussel Larvae (Veiliger’s) are NOT already spread throughout the lake?
    To Limit the Spread, Why is the access ONLY Closed and Lakeshore Owners are still out running around, Wake Boarding, Skiing, Jet Ski’s, Fishing, etc.? Yes, I drove by the lake and saw 3-4 boats out there enjoying a now, PRIVATE LAKE! Would NOT a normal person believe that the Lakeshore Owners too are spreading Veliger’s around the lake. They have Wake Boats with 250-500+ gallon water tanks, Fishing Boats with Livewells, etc. so you’re telling me they are spreading them around? Why is the Whole Lake NOT CLOSED to ALL Watercraft?
    If, as stated by the MnDNR, the Zebra Mussel’s found are a couple months old, then we should all agree that the Veliger’s (Zebra Mussel Larvae) were first introduced to Christmas Lake in early June or earlier should we not agree to that? Thus, agreeing to that we should ALL be able to agree or at least assume that they have had the chance to spread throughout the lake for 2-months, via all the traffic of various watercraft entering the lake at the public access and running around the whole lake over 2-months (60-days) time. Given during the last 2-months we have gone from relatively normal water levels to record high water levels, with storms that have brought record or near record amounts of rainfall with high winds and the highest lake levels on Lake Minnetonka is history have all brought contributions that could, at least in most peoples minds spread the Veliger’s throughout Christmas Lake. With that said, I have to ask if you, the Governing Body of Shorewood & the Minnehaha Creek Watershed District truly believe in your hears and minds that closing the access will make any difference?
    What makes anyone believe that the Zebra Mussels are NOT already spread around the whole lake when the Diver’s did not find these until as stated in the News Release they were a few months old? Why would anyone not think they easily could have missed thousands more just as they would have missed the one found near the access for 2-months?
    May I also ask, with the FEAR that virtually everyone has had that this day would come, Why was a “Rapid Response Plan” NOT Planned a few years ago when Minnetonka first became infested? Further, of all the Plans, Meetings, and Money Spent to try and Prevent this from happening, Why, Why was a “Rapid Response Plan of Acton” Not Planned and Prepared? This just is not how I see Governments Working which is why I now am questioning the access closure. Many others as they hear about this are asking the same thing and saying, Well, The Christmas Lakeshore Owner finally got their wish for a PRIVATE LAKE! and that is the reason many believe the “ACCESS was CLOSED”!
    I’ll further state continued Inspections and continued closure of this access may result in Legal Action. Some parties have already met to discuss the possibility with the fact that the Inspections were not held everyday from 6am to 10pm as stated by your contract with Volt and the MCWD. I know of a person that has a number, over a dozen video’s on a cell phone, date & time stamped from this summer showing the area around the access and no inspector on duty when they arrived at 6am and many times of which the inspector was not on duty when this party left the access generally between 7:30-9:30am with their catch of the day. This party would take a video (See attached Video File) standing in the parking area and do a complete 360 degree video of the access showing nobody and no other vehicle in site. I should also note that I informed Mr. Joe Shneider, President of the Christmas Lakeshore Owners of the missing/late Inspectors time in a face to face meeting. Mr. Shneider told me “That is NOT TRUE”!
    Yes, The City is not directly spending Tax Dollars on these Inspections (Boat Observations), but they are none the less Spending Tax Dollars collected by the MCWD and Dollars directly from Lakeshore Residents. Thus, I would like to know if the City pays Volt Services for the time when Inspectors are late, some days hours late? How would this look in a Major News Media report if this information comes out through a News Investigative Report and along with that is turned over to the State Auditors Office? Not only has Volt not provided the service they were contracted to provide, the missed time, thus potentially an Inspector may have not prevented someone with a Contaminated Watercraft from launching because of the missed time they may have been paid to provide Inspections. There are other allegations I’ve heard 2nd hand, that I will not state here, but will try and get the Inspector and my friend to come forward and notify Authorities of these other charges.
    Yes, I and many others want answers.

Attached are 2-photo’s from the Christmas Lake Access taken Friday, Aug. 22 and a Video taken of the Access with the Inspector Missing Aug. 13th.

Please Respond!

Posting your reply to Metro Area Forum – In-Depth Outdoors would be great so everyone can get the same information. This email has been posted here:

Metro Area Forum – In-Depth Outdoors
    Metro Area Forum New Topic Subject Replies Last Post Christmas Lake in Shorewood Temporarily CLOSED! posted by carroll58 on August 22, 2014 at …
    View on http://www.in-depthoutdoo&#8230;
    Preview by Yahoo

Thank You

Carroll Aasen, Chaska
    A Concerned Sportsman & Environmentalist.
    Sec.-Treas. of Sportsmans Bassmasters (A MNBFN affiliated Bass Fishing Club) & member of the Carver County Parks Commission.
    [email protected]

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Whoa, this is likely being done to treat the area around the launch. If you know the area, it is very shallow and applying chemicals like copper sulfate is best done if the immediate area is kept undisturbed for a few days or week. The likely way to move adults is by disturbing vegetation that they may be attached to and then having that vegetation drift to other areas. I support the attempt to contain and kill the Zebs. Lets not get a knot in our shorts about a legitimate attempt to stop them (if they can).

Vern

deertracker

That is fine is it needs to undisturbed before the chemical has to be applied. But it does not make sense to close an access to the general public but then allow lakeshore owners to use the lake and disturb the area.
    DT

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Buzz,

Do you believe they are not spread throughout the lake?
    If, according the the MCWD & MnDNR News Releases the Zebra Mussels found, were approx 2-months old. If we then assume the Veliger’s were introduced 60-days ago with say just 5-watercraft per day using the access (Past Survey Data says there was an average of 2.5 watercraft per day prior to 3pm, which is the slower time of day. Assuming only 5-per should be very conservative), that means there have been 300 watercraft trips since the Veliger’s were introduced.

I personally cannot believe there are not Zebra Mussels in the whole lake.

If the Access is closed, then Why are Lakeshore Owners still allowed to be enjoying the lake? Do they not spread AIS?

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Carroll, the access area that will be treated is in the back corner of a shallow bay. If that area is bombed with sulfate (which sinks fairly fast) then a concentration can be built up. Boats using the deeper water areas aren’t stirring up the shallow vegetation next to the ramp. Are you sure this closure isn’t being done by the DNR as part of the plan to attack the Zebs in that area? I get the impression that you’re thinking this is something the lakeshore association is doing? Public access is something we need to protect, but not to the point of interfering with a legitimate DNR treatment (if that is what the closure is for).

joc
    Western and Central, NY

I don’t now this particular lake. But once the zebra – quagga muscles are introduced if they like that body of water nothing or no-ones going to stop them from colonizing the lake. They move fast. Closing a launch that already has shown signs of infestation is a ridiculous method of prevention, it’s to late. All the Finger Lakes in NY have the critters, watch wear you step.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Carroll, the access area that will be treated is in the back corner of a shallow bay. If that area is bombed with sulfate (which sinks fairly fast) then a concentration can be built up. Boats using the deeper water areas aren’t stirring up the shallow vegetation next to the ramp. Are you sure this closure isn’t being done by the DNR as part of the plan to attack the Zebs in that area? I get the impression that you’re thinking this is something the lakeshore association is doing? Public access is something we need to protect, but not to the point of interfering with a legitimate DNR treatment (if that is what the closure is for).

Vern,
    Where do you find or did you hear about the DNR using Sulfate to treat this area?
    I haven’t seen or heard that. Nothing from the DNR or the City says anything about what they are doing, just what is on the sign, the are “Planning a Rapid Response”! To me, that says they have not even had a plan?
    If they have or had a plan, they their choice of wording or pretty poor.
    Now, please answer my questions from my reply to you: Do you believe the Veliger’s are not already spread around the whole lake?
    Why has the DNR not closed other lakes when they first discovered Zebra Mussels?

To myself and many others, they are a day late in their actions and like others have said, they are more likely already spread out.

I’m waiting for replies from the City, MnDNR & MCWD to my email.

PS: Heard from another friend that there is another website where some fisherman complained about the Lack of Inspections or shall I say On-Duty Inspectors at Christmas Lake on weekends too.

Read this:
    http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/08/22/shorewoods-christmas-lake-to-treat-for-zebra-mussels/
    Since the discovery, the city and the DNR has closed the public boat access to allow for an emergency response. Workers have now curtained off the area about 50 feet from shore to contain the zebra mussels ahead of chemical treatment.
    They’ll use a newly-approved product called Zequinox.
    “They ingest dead bacteria that naturally occur, and it blows apart their digestive systems,” he said.
    It’s no guarantee, but it’s a shot both leaders and lake users say is worth taking.
    “We can do something and they may still be there, but at least we gave it the best shot that anybody has ever been able to do,” says Dawson.
    Treatments with the recently-approved Zequinox will likely take place in about a week. The area will also be dredged before a previously-planned rebuilding of the boat ramp

Then read the first 2-comments. H’mmm, No Inspectors on Weekends at least 4-times this summer?
    Trouten • 12 hours ago
    I fish this lake regularly, and I am really disappointed to see this. I will say that the inspection program has been a joke this summer. There have been at least 4 times I have gone to the lake this summer, on a weekend, and there was not an inspector at the launch, this includes when I launch around 6-7am and when I come back in around noon.

I begin to wonder how many other LIES are being told?
    The MCWD and Lakeshore Owners Assoc. say fulltime inspections, 6am-10pm.
    This guys says they weren’t there on at least 4-times!

I think the State auditor shall be called to audit the books of the City & Volt in regards to the missing Inspectors time and payments!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Boats using the deeper water areas aren’t stirring up the shallow vegetation next to the ramp.

Can you guarantee that?

Why is it ok to take extreme measures where the public is affected, but not where the lakeshore property owners are affected. I would think if these jackasses cared about THEIR lake, they would voluntarily stop boat traffic until the area is treated and assessed. I’d think by how they have acted in the past in trying to control access that they would be more than willing to give up boating on their precious lake for a while in the name of keeping invasives out.

If they are still boating on the lake, jet skiing, canoeing, paddle boarding, etc., it is only exposing the underbelly of their true intent.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.