Choosing new electronics.

• David G

Just ordered a 2020 Alumacraft 185 Sport. I’d like opinions. Hummingbird? Lowrance? Garmin? Which Min Kota? I’m not completely blowing the bank. Hoping to mount a 10 or 12 inch on the dash in a way that I can see it from the front or back deck. Thoughts?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

David, do you have a bow mount on your rig? If you have a min Kota brand, humminbird will sync up with it and ipilot.

Cody Meyers

Do you have a preference in graphs from your last boat? I have Lowrances on my boat and think that so far they are nice and I like them….however, it seems that the mapping on the birds is better/more user friendly. I’ve heard from buddies that they think that the 2d sonar may mark better on the Lowrances. They are all so nice these days that you can’t really go wrong.

If it were me, and you are sold on the MinnKota I’d go with birds so you can link them later if you choose to.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If you just want a couple solid units that don’t break the bank, I’d go Minnkota with a couple Helix’s linked up, a bigger one on the dash and a smaller one up front. It’s a pain working off of just one at the driver’s seat and a Helix 5 or 7 isn’t too expensive.

B-man

David, do you have a bow mount on your rig? If you have a min Kota brand, humminbird will sync up with it and ipilot.

Only if it’s an I-pilot link

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

Only if it’s an I-pilot link

Good call

B-man

I run both Garmin’s and Birds.

If I were shopping for new stuff today, I’d be leaning pretty heavily towards Garmin.

Same price as Bird, but with:

Touchscreens

Way better stock maps

No special zero-lines card needed to draw your own maps

Ability to add Panoptix

More intuitive overall

Garmin has their own trolling motor now too, but I don’t have any experience with one.

dairycat

Its tough to beat the Helix G3N Side Imaging. I just got one and it is incredible, I cannot believe how clear you can read fish. Totally changed the way I fish, and it has caught a lot of fish for me. I bought the 9 and now a few months later wish I had the 12… Now I have two things on the boat I couldn’t live without, Terrova and Helix G3N. Spend once Hurt once!
    I

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.