Chin hooked walleye, legal to keep?

• DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I don’t keep fish. But I don’t think a fish hooked in the mouth or under the jaw is going to determine harvest or release for someone who is looking for a meal of fish. I have never fished a tournament where the fish are examined at weigh in for hook placement either. Any CO would have to have eagle eyes to determine whether a fish was legally caught or not unless you snag it in the tail.

I don’t see this knowledge changing anything for most fisherman.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Speaking for myself, you are correct. I’ve always thought a fish hooked anywhere but in the mouth was snagged and returned.

This is the main reason the flathead catfish season was closed state wide. Once a fish is in the boat, no matter where it was snagged, it becomes a legally caught fish. Close the winter dormant season and it really doesn’t matter if 95% of the flats are snagged in the winter…just can’t have them in possession.

‘Course the WI DNR will be quick to point out that snagging is against the law…it’s just that they seldom if ever can enforce it.

Sorry for the bunny trail..

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

BK, you must’ve missed this post:

P.S. No flathead catfish are snagged between the months of November – April. This is when flatheads are most aggressive and starving to death. Don’t believe me just ask BK

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

No I didn’t miss it. doah

I’m always surprised at how few people know that Flatheads unlike other fish go into a dormant stage much like a bear in the wintering months.

Unless a CO is watching a boat and sees a fish (flats or any other species) come in sideways, the angler will and should, get the benefit of the doubt.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Unless a CO is watching a boat and sees a fish (flats or any other species) come in sideways, the angler will and should, get the benefit of the doubt.

I agree, to me this comes down to intent. According to MN law, it clearly says that angler intent is the factor.

To me this is a similar CO judgment call, just like anglers targeting fish out of season. The CO would have to see the angler catching out of season fish with some repetition, and with no change of lure/tackle, tactics, location, etc such that the intent to catch out of season fish was very clear and repeated.

The equivalent in this case to me would have to involve a CO seeing someone doing something like standing up on a cooler to give himself a better view of fish in shallow water and then jerking something like crankbait or spoon such that it is clear they are intentionally trying to spot and then foul hook fish deliberately.

Grouse

BrianF

The black-letter of the law is ambiguous then if you believe the CO’s interpretation. ‘Intentionally taking a fish by snagging’ is different than ‘taking a fish by intentional snagging’. They need to change the wording to be more clear because I think the law as written now leaves a lot of people – me included – to believe that intent to snag is the key idea they are trying to prohibit, not the intent to posses a fish that was inadvertently snagged outside the mouth. In addition to the everyday angler, this has major implications for bass, walleye, and musky tournament anglers across the state and, I think, is largely misunderstood and therefore not enforced by tournament directors/organizers.

B-man

So you’re saying I can’t use my favorite bait for flatheads anymore….?????

Works great with a slice of sucker.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20180411-162543.png

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

New style blade bait?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

A true spoonbill slayer.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

What if I’m trolling cranks and the fish hammers my bait and I reel it up with a hook to the side of the mouth…? You guys are saying illegal?

I asked a CO about this and he said absolutely 100% legal. He said, “you’d have to be actively ripping lures to qualify as snagging or if you caught the fish in the fin or something then throw it back”.

I guess I feel if you’re being an honest good fisherman 99 times out of 100 the CO will be on your side.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

In addition to the everyday angler, this has major implications for bass, walleye, and musky tournament anglers across the state and, I think, is largely misunderstood and therefore not enforced by tournament directors/organizers.

I don’t fish many tournaments but this could be interesting if another angler accused another…

eyeguy507
    SE MN

look at the amount of water you actually cover with a tiny jig half the size of a penny. nobody is going to question how the fish was caught unless you fish with a GW. even if you are ripping a jigging rap off the bottom, there is a 5% chance you actually hook something illegally. absolutely keep it if you are keeping. there are times many of us would rather not keep. It all balances out. I fish with plenty of guys that keep all or release all different days.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Joe, I’m not saying nutten except that your CO and my CO might not agree.

Just to reconfirm… from our Favorite Pool 4 CO.

Good Morning Brian,

A fish hooked anywhere outside of the mouth, is NOT legal to possess. A chin hooked fish must be immediately returned to the water. Only fish that are hooked right in the mouth are legal to possess.

Hope this settles the debate! J

Conservation Officer Brittany Hauser
    Red Wing Station | Division of Enforcement

Not that either Co’s will change either of our minds. I’ll still toss them back and you can do what you like.

big_g
    Isle, MN

The fact that 2 CO’s could have different opinions… that is the issue. Doing what you think is right, does not make it that. Too hard to reword the rules ? True you can never get in trouble if you release every fish, but let’s write rules so those who want to understand them…can.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

The fact that 2 CO’s could have different opinions… that is the issue. Doing what you think is right, does not make it that.

Agreed. I’ve gotten some entertainment from this thread, at least. Unless a CO is literally present when a fish is landed, how could they ever know if a fish were hooked in or “near” the mouth. I’ll continue to do what I feel is right.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

The fact that 2 CO’s could have different opinions… that is the issue. Doing what you think is right, does not make it that.

Agree!! But this is not the first time this has happened and nor will it be the last in the “Land of 10,000 unclear rules”.

I know people that choose just not to fish at all because in their eyes there is no way for the casual fisherman to know all of the rules. One guy put it this way… “I like watching hockey even though I don’t know all of the rules, but in fishing that gets you a ticket, no thanks”.

To be honest this made me a bit sad.

B-man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>

Agree!! But this is not the first time this has happened and nor will it be the last in the “Land of 10,000 unclear rules”.

I know people that choose just not to fish at all because in their eyes there is no way for the casual fisherman to know all of the rules. One guy put it this way… “I like watching hockey even though I don’t know all of the rules, but in fishing that gets you a ticket, no thanks”.

To be honest this made me a bit sad.

It’s not sad.

It’s just a sad and lousy excuse not to engage in the outdoors.

Anybody that is a teenager or older can sit down with the regulation book for 30 minutes….

There’s statewide rules and methods, seasons, and water specific rules.

It’s not rocket surgery. Your friend is just lazy.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

^ Agreed. In this case a person can simply error on “being safe” and toss it back. Having a CO be there to witness it, doesn’t make it anymore right (or wrong).

Again, we aren’t all the same but I don’t need a security guard at a bank to keep me from robbing it. (might be a bit extreme of an example but the point is clear)

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

It’s just a sad and lousy excuse not to engage in the outdoors.

I can’t say I disagree, but making the laws a little less “grey” may help the novice angler feel better about going out??

Like BK said just throw em back if you’re not sure. That is a great response to someone with those concerns. Thanks Guys

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

Say you are throwing large crankbaits with three trebles. Who is to say there wasn’t a hook in the mouth initially but came out when reeling it in?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Then you caught it, then you lost it…(keep the slack out devil ) and then you snagged it… back she goes !!! doah rotflol

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The sun is low and in front of me as I’m walking to my fav pheasant hunting field. Two roosters get up and bang! One shot and they are both down! Damn I’m a good shot.

Crap! ONE IS A HEN!! The sun must of hit it just right because I swear it was a rooster!!

Now do I take it home so I don’t waste the bird or leave it lay?
    Clearly it’s against the law but there isn’t anyone around so who’s going to know?

Maybe that’s how a person tells if he’s a sportsman(?)

Rod Bent

It’s a lot like golf. You’re on the honor system. Try to do the right thing. If necessary call for a ruling.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Never seen a PGA Official write a ticket….. doah jester

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Never seen a PGA Official write a ticket…..

But I’ve seen them cost a player a bunch of money……Same thing. wave

big_g
    Isle, MN

not quite… the CO’s take it from your wallet… the PGA from your winnings. crazy

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

not quite… the CO’s take it from your wallet… the PGA from your winnings. crazy

So they take it before it gets into your wallet….
    Still the same thing…..Why the negative waves? wave

Attachments:
    1. download-1.jpg

big_g
    Isle, MN

Negative ?:???: I just think it would be wise to write a law so 2 CO’s have to come to the same opinion of it, which is what the angler understands also, because it is an actual fact. I am saying, to try to equate it to me shaving a stroke or two off my golf score, to losing my fishing privileges because of poorly written laws, is hardly comparable… that’s all. mrgreen

Jeff Telander

Interesting discussion here. Regardless of ethics, the law should be cut and dry and not up to personal opinion.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Yes, Big_g’s point is exactly correct.
    How hard can it possibly be to write clarifying language on this issue?

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.