Chin hooked walleye, legal to keep?

• to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

I wonder if anyone on here would starve to death if they threw back a fish that was hooked outside the mouth?…….

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The beauty of this law is that it’s up to the individual to interpret and follow. Do what you feel like.

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

The beauty of this law is that it’s up to the individual to interpret and follow. Do what you feel like.

Says the man holding his $120 ticket with a court date written on it. Sorry… couldn’t resist. doah

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I’ve always thrown back walleyes that I’ve chinned in tournaments. I was always under the impression it was a snag. I’ve seen people keep them too so I’ve always second guessed it. I would really like to hear what a warden has to say about it.

Jonesy

I spoke with the WI and MN DNR. They told me that it would be illegal to keep the fish. That even though the fish had actively engaged the bait it is not considered a legal catch until they attempt to eat it. The MN DNR went so far as to say the fish has to be hooked in the mouth.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I spoke with the WI and MN DNR. They told me that it would be illegal to keep the fish. That even though the fish had actively engaged the bait it is not considered a legal catch until they attempt to eat it. The MN DNR went so far as to say the fish has to be hooked in the mouth.

Bingo. Confirmed what we all already knew but some didn’t want to admit to it because of a grey area. ) It’s common sense.

Jonesy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jonesy wrote:</div>

Bingo. Confirmed what we all already knew but some didn’t want to admit to it because of a grey area. ) It’s common sense.

I don’t know that I would go that far. I 100% thought it was legal and I know plenty of people who thought so too. I had a guide even tell me it was legal. The guys on the Larry Smith show are guides and they kept them also. I know ignorance of the law isn’t an excuse but it does seem that here there is large misunderstanding of this concept.

Both people at the DNR offices I called had to consult with others in their office to get me the answer. Even they did not give the impression at first of being 100% sure it was illegal.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Maybe someone oughta let Larry Smith know, and his guide companions too…?

And if Larry Smith Outdoors also had their own forum, he could check in on that and see what members are posting.

Pretty much guarantee we won’t see any IDO TV episodes with James and Co. keeping chin hooked walleye! wink

For any that are curious, here is the episode. I think the first fish was buttoned on the chin.

Edit: 2nd fish at the 3:30 minute mark

Jonesy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jonesy wrote:</div>

Maybe someone oughta let Larry Smith know, and his guide companions too…?

And if Larry Smith Outdoors also had their own forum, he could check in on that and see what members are posting.

Pretty much guarantee we won’t see any IDO TV episodes with James and Co. keeping chin hooked walleye! wink

For any that are curious, here is the episode. I think the first fish was buttoned on the chin.

<div class=”oembed-wrap”><div class=”fluid-width-video-wrapper” style=”padding-top: 56.2353%;”><iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/V9Y58Ib-WWk?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”autoplay; encrypted-media” allowfullscreen=”” id=”fitvid435010″></iframe></div></div>

Are you on the payroll lol. I have a feeling if a sign was posted on the popular ramps on P4 you would find a good chunk of people who like me were wrong.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

The guys on the Larry Smith show are guides and they kept them also. I know ignorance of the law isn’t an excuse but it does seem that here there is large misunderstanding of this concept.

Hard to believe there aren’t other’s questioning this beyond just us chumps on IDO forum.

Too late now, but I think they would rather have had that concept clarified before showing it on a TV show.

But then again, who knows…maybe they called the DNR and got a different answer saying it was legal. whistling

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

That comment was assuming that James will be reading this thread. smile

big_g
    Isle, MN

Would it be too much for the MN reg to say, any fish not hooked IN the mouth must be immediately returned to the water…?

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Would it be too much for the MN reg to say, any fish not hooked IN the mouth must be immediately returned to the water…?

Yes,,,,,,,,,,, devil

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

The fish at the 3:30 mark was hooked under the chin, but they do not show that fish going into the livewell nor being released, so Lance very well could have thrown that one back?? Guess we won’t ever know.. The female he catches at the 6 minute mark also is chin hooked and is released back into the water..

craig s

Is it just me or does it seem sauger like to pin a bait to the bottom more often than walleye?

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

The fish at the 3:30 mark was hooked under the chin, but they do not show that fish going into the livewell nor being released, so Lance very well could have thrown that one back?? Guess we won’t ever know.. The female he catches at the 6 minute mark also is chin hooked and is released back into the water..

You are correct Justin. I went back and watched again and there is no evidence of any foul hooked fish being kept. Unless I or you missed something?
    It seemed implied, but not proven.

Another good lesson perhaps on not being to quick to jump to conclusions.

B-man

It’s been the law in Wisconsin forever.

“In the mouth”

I’m not going to hang someone for keeping a walleye that pinned a bait, but I wouldn’t do it in front of a CO or make a TV show out of it.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20180410-182158.png

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Is it just me or does it seem sauger like to pin a bait to the bottom more often than walleye?

Oh no. Not again. doah

big_g
    Isle, MN

I would agree it is clear to me, if people did not post that the DNR response today, was snagged, release… end of story. It is so vague and open to interpretation. Maybe they need to go in front of congress and answer some tough questions too about plain English in the regulations.

Loren I Duerr

Do not keep one not hooked in the mouth if you are fishing the Menominee river between Wi and MI if you do a CO will come and talk to you and show you a picture if you argue. Even if it is only a sucker. Not in the mouth put it back or be ready to pay.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Just playing devils advocate. Point is the law is to prevent ‘intentional’ snagging, nothing more and nothing less. Lots of grey area in the regs and not just fishing. To me this one is pretty black and white.

The Lake Superior law is due to the amount of snagging that occurs when proving ‘intention’ is very difficult and subjective for a CO when people are drift fishing tributaries. This makes the statewide law pretty clear IMO.

You are not playing devils advocate you are speaking sense. I think it’s pretty clear how the laws are written what they are supposed to mean. If the interpretation by COs have changed since then, well there isn’t much we can do.

Like a few have said, it’s tough to enforce. If you want to bring ethics into it, it’s all about the majority opinion. If I catch a walleye while trolling hooked all over it’s face but in the mouth, there’s a good chance it goes in the cooler.

Jonesy

Somebody contacted Larry Smith Outdoors on their Facebook page and they said they did not keep the foul hooked ones

Mike Stephens
    WI.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>
    I can’t get past… <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Walleyes have chins ???

Yeah, they are hybrid from chinook salmon

If you get a big one they have shoulders also.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

It’s been the law in Wisconsin forever.

“In the mouth”

I’m not going to hang someone for keeping a walleye that pinned a bait, but I wouldn’t do it in front of a CO or make a TV show out of it.

Yep. Not wanting to assume anything or “jump to conclusions” prematurely again…I went directly to the Wisconsin regs, and there it is. As black and white as it could ever be…no gray area, nothing left for “interpretation”.

It is illegal

• to fish by snagging, foul-hooking, or attempting to hook fish other than in the mouth.
    to keep foul-hooked, snagged or any fish not hooked in the mouth.

After scouring through the Minnesota regs, I cannot find anything more specific other than what is regulated for the WI/MN border waters. “Fish hooked in any part of the body, except the mouth, must be returned to the water immediately”.

So…? This is not the first time that Wisconsin makes clear the regulation, rather than….?

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Somebody contacted Larry Smith Outdoors on their Facebook page and they said they did not keep the foul hooked ones

peace
    Excellent! It’s been awhile since I have seen his show and had not watched lately until this “subject” episode.

While watching…I did enjoy the show. Glad to learn that they know those Wisconsin regs. Perhaps because they’re clear and concise!

waytogo

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

It’s not legal to hook it anywhere other than inside the mouth. Intentionally or not. A snag is a snag. I’d be curious to see how an upstanding fisherman deals with a snagged fish in a tournament. What do they say? Integrity is best judged when no one is looking?

In bass tournaments, unless it is clearly stated in the regs about in the mouth like in WI, one only has to throw a fish back if it was caught while sight fishing and hooked outside of the mouth.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>
    I can’t get past… <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Walleyes have chins ???

Yeah, they are hybrid from chinook salmon

I had to sleep on it but I finally got it. yay rotflol

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just to reconfirm… from our Favorite Pool 4 CO.

Good Morning Brian,

A fish hooked anywhere outside of the mouth, is NOT legal to possess. A chin hooked fish must be immediately returned to the water. Only fish that are hooked right in the mouth are legal to possess.

Hope this settles the debate! J

Conservation Officer Brittany Hauser
    Red Wing Station | Division of Enforcement

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Just to reconfirm… from our Favorite Pool 4 CO.

Good Morning Brian,

A fish hooked anywhere outside of the mouth, is NOT legal to possess. A chin hooked fish must be immediately returned to the water. Only fish that are hooked right in the mouth are legal to possess.

Hope this settles the debate! J

Conservation Officer Brittany Hauser
    Red Wing Station | Division of Enforcement

This is horrible news for the blade baiters…. mrgreen

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.