Chin hooked walleye, legal to keep?

• Jonesy

So a fishing show recently showed walleyes being kept after being chin hooked. A few months back there was a discussion about this on this site. I don’t recall if anybody ever asked if it was legal to keep these fish? The host of a show kept some and a friend of mine believes it’s not a legal catch. I told him I was under the impression it was. Anybody know for sure?

nick_harrison
    Garrison, IA

I was always told if it is ahead of the gills it is fair game.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Technically no in MN. No other way around that.

But some consider many of those fish pinning the bait to bottom in which they woulve bit eventually so many think it’s legal bc of that.

Which show was this?

Jonesy

But some consider many of those fish pinning the bait to bottom in which they woulve bit eventually so many think it’s legal bc of that.

Which show was this?

Larry Smith Outdoors

BrianF

Why not legal in MN? My understanding of MN law is that as long as the angler isn’t intentionally trying to snag a fish, then the catch is legal if hooked outside the mouth. I catch a lot of smallies fishing jerkbaits in the early season and it’s very common to catch them with only hooks on the outside of the mouth. I always thought those were legal catches. Maybe I’m missing something?

brushhog80

So a fishing show recently showed walleyes being kept after being chin hooked. A few months back there was a discussion about this on this site. I don’t recall if anybody ever asked if it was legal to keep these fish? The host of a show kept some and a friend of mine believes it’s not a legal catch. I told him I was under the impression it was. Anybody know for sure?

I saw the same episode, is it possible it was a re run? I remember an earlier episode this year where they were throwing chin hooked walleyes back. Made a comment about how some may see this as snagging.

Jonesy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jonesy wrote:</div>

I saw the same episode, is it possible it was a re run? I remember an earlier episode this year where they were throwing chin hooked <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleyes back. Made a comment about how some may see this as snagging.

Not a re-run.

munchy
    NULL

I have always been told (and most tournaments will say the same) if it looks like the fish was attempting to eat the bait it’s a legal catch.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The 2018 mn reg book only says you cannot take fish by method of snagging.

Clear as mud. If they’re going to leave it that wide open then I must assume that as long as you aren’t intentionally trying to hook a fish that didn’t try to buy a lure, it’s perfectly legal.

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

If the fish is reeled in without the hook in it’s mouth it is not legal to keep. It was snagged. I guarantee you it a Conservation Officer was there he’d tell you the same thing.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

This was the Minnesota state law I could find:

” 97C.331 SNAGGING FISH PROHIBITED.
    Subdivision 1.General prohibition.

A person may not:

(1) intentionally take fish by snagging; or
    (2) use a snag line, snag pole, snag hook, or cluster of fish hooks, designed to be placed in or drawn through the water to hook the body of a fish.
    §
    Subd. 2.Prohibition on Lake Superior tributaries.
    On tributaries to Lake Superior below the posted boundaries, and on tributaries to Lake Superior with no posted boundaries, a fish that is hooked in any part of the body except in the mouth must be immediately unhooked and returned to the water.”

I’m confused. I had always thought the stipulation was that a legally hooked fish had the hook inside the mouth. Apparently that’s only specified for Lake superior tributaries, and very poorly defined for the rest of the state of MN.

We need a CO to hang around on this website.

S.R.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Key word here is “INTENTIONALLY” You catch a fish that’s hooked under or outside it’s mouth, did you intentionally do that? No, fish kept. Now if you’re out vertically ripping blade baits and you’ve caught many fish this way via tail, gut gill and near mouth I would call that INTENTIONALLY snagging. Pretty fine line I guess when it comes down to it. Use your best judgement.

P.S. No flathead catfish are snagged between the months of November – April. This is when flatheads are most aggressive and starving to death. Don’t believe me just ask BK devil

hillhiker
    SE MN

They give the same type of rule for MN/WI boundary waters… “If the fish is hooked anywhere but the mouth it must be immediately released” Page 65 of 2018 regs.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

If the fish is reeled in without the hook in it’s mouth it is not legal to keep. It was snagged. I guarantee you it a Conservation Officer was there he’d tell you the same thing.

I agree also.

Which show was this?

I also agree with nhamm. For those that use the fish pinning argument in which the fish would have bit “eventually”.

One could apply the same logic during deer bow season.
    Well officer, the deer was feeding in my direction and would have eventually come within bow range. I just used a rifle to speed up the process.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m pretty sure this is going to be the answer. If it’s not hooked in the mouth, it’s snagged.

But, I’ll wait for the Pool 4 CO to reply to my email.

WI laws may differ and it might be legal to keep a snagged fish on the WI side of the river…I don’t think so, but I’ll wait for confirmation.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Well then to reiterate my previous post the rule is written, it is what it is.

That’s really going to decrease the amount of fish being hauled out of pool 4 in the spring if they can figure out a way to enforce it.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

This was the Minnesota state law I could find:

” 97C.331 SNAGGING FISH PROHIBITED.
    Subdivision 1.General prohibition.

A person may not:

(1) intentionally take fish by snagging; or
    (2) use a snag line, snag pole, snag hook, or cluster of fish hooks, designed to be placed in or drawn through the water to hook the body of a fish.
    §
    Subd. 2.Prohibition on Lake Superior tributaries.
    On tributaries to Lake Superior below the posted boundaries, and on tributaries to Lake Superior with no posted boundaries, a fish that is hooked in any part of the body except in the mouth must be immediately unhooked and returned to the water.”

I’m confused. I had always thought the stipulation was that a legally hooked fish had the hook inside the mouth. Apparently that’s only specified for Lake superior tributaries, and very poorly defined for the rest of the state of MN.

We need a CO to hang around on this website.

S.R.

This says it all regardless of what one CO says.

They can write as many tickets as they want but if you decide to fight it it’s going to be hard to prove you broke the law.

But, in most cases, it’s well worth it to pay the ticket rather than fight it.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

P.S. No flathead catfish are snagged between the months of November – April. This is when flatheads are most aggressive and starving to death. Don’t believe me just ask BK

jester

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

They can write as many tickets as they want but if you decide to fight it it’s going to be hard to prove you broke the law.

There’s more then what Steve quoted…I don’t know if I have the time right now to find it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Although I will say you’re correct. It is very hard to prove a fish was snagged once it is in the boat.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I can’t get past… Walleyes have chins ???

Don’t know if this applies in MN, but on an episode of Alaska State Troopers, the DNR was watching the Kenai for snagging fishermen… they needed to witness the “jerking action” of the angler and then inspect the fish, for a hole outside its mouth, in order to cite the person. They approached one guy and said that his fish had a hole outside it’s mouth and the guy says, “you can tell that hole came from my hook…?” It was kind of funny to see the look on the CO’s face when he said that.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

To that effect big-g I have been thinking about this scenario:

You’re pitching blades or trolling/casting crank baits. A fish crushes the lure in the front hooks. During the fight/head shakes the back hooks of the lure get embedded outside of the fishes mouth. Through more thrashing and fighting the hooks inside the fishes mouth pop free but the back hooks outside the fishes mouth are still embedded.

Is this fish then a snagged fish?

It’s not like you were: (1) intentionally take fish by snagging; or

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I can’t get past… <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Walleyes have chins ???

Yeah, they are hybrid from chinook salmon

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

I can’t get past… <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Walleyes have chins ???

I’m sure it helps keep there cheeks in place toast ???

craig s

Doesn’t really matter if nobody sees it… waytogo

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

It’s not legal to hook it anywhere other than inside the mouth. Intentionally or not. A snag is a snag. I’d be curious to see how an upstanding fisherman deals with a snagged fish in a tournament. What do they say? Integrity is best judged when no one is looking?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It’s not legal to hook it anywhere other than inside the mouth. Intentionally or not. A snag is a snag. I’d be curious to see how an upstanding fisherman deals with a snagged fish in a tournament. What do they say? Integrity is best judged when no one is looking?

Other than the MN/WI regs, where does it say this for inland waters in mn law?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

If it concerned me that much I’d email the MN dnr. They are very prompt in getting back.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I know what is NOT illegal…releasing them regardless of how or where they were hooked shock

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

If you just cut out the cheeks and throw them back, you can keep as many as you want.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.