gills and crapies

• kingfishbob
    Chetek, wi

thanks for the chance for the trinity as we were known to post here. gills are quite active in the ten mile section of the chain as are crappies. we still are catching crappies full of eggs but seem to run smaller. Larger ones are now out to the 10 ft mark. Silver birch and flynns pt may be the best bet for crappies of size. Many of my guests took 10 to 11+ crappies last week. And for those familiar with cane and vman, this is kingfish. Had to register here different since my handle was gone. Tight lines

jhalfen

Welcome aboard king, and thanks for the report. Sounds like NOW is the time to chase some Chetek pannies!

hurricane
    Cameron, WI (north end of Prairie Lake)

Bad news in a way….was working down on the shoreline this morning and the gills are done spawning, at least in my section of the bay….all beds that were there earlier in the week are now fishless and have debris in them…Still think they can be had with poppers though and am going to give that a try off the pier as soon as this is posted… Will let ya know.

jhalfen

The situation is similar on Menomin. We did well on big gills on Wednesday afternoon, they were still obviously up shallow. Yesterday, we hosted an ARM event (for the big brothers/big sisters program) on the lake, and only had a handful of nice gills among 8 boats for the entire day.

vman59
    Barron,wi

didn’t want to mess with the boat last night so went down by the long bridge and the gills have indeed moved away from shore. Caught a dozen or so that all went back to swim again and a crap load of green craps on a candy apple jig with a leech just pounded it . Was fun but wish they were eyes.

vman59
    Barron,wi

took the boat out tonight off the north end of Prairie. Caught some dandy gills and the usual green carps.Fished a drop-off about 20 yards from shore that goes from 7ft to 15ft in about 2 ft.Gills were stacked on the bottom of the drop off.

kingfishbob
    Chetek, wi

most of the gills we caught north of burnahm were in 10 ft or more. those were big. suspect the larger ones are holding at that level on the chain.

kingfishbob
    Chetek, wi

crappies I found yesterday were suspended in 11 to 18 ft of water. varied from bottom to 13 ft down. small feather jigs tipped with waxies seem to do the trick. drop down to the bottom and up 2 cranks. we found 10 inch crappies that way and larger. fished south side of chetek from baptist bay north. no one else around. we found pods of active fish closer to the south than in the middle. Also found a weed be or what I think is one about 1/3 acroos chetek. will need to mark it with gps and try it another day. loads of fissh burried in it and I would like to see if they are eyes or crappies (could be suckers too). anyway this weekend will be better fishing early in the morning before the heavy traffic comes out. evenings will be busy also so it may limit our open water fishing. tight lines guys and gals.

putor2001
    Cameron Wi. North end of Prarie lk.

Crappies & gills seemed to have gone on vacation there for a few days in early July, but they seem to be around again the last few days…. Seems as though they don’t want to bite now…. Just hang on to the bait & go for a little ride.

vman59
    Barron,wi

Fished last evening with Putor and marked allot of fish but only managed a few small crappies fish are pretty much in nuetral for the time being but I feel with the cooler temps the bite should start to turn on.

kingfishbob
    Chetek, wi

gills and crappies still biting in ten mile and outside of silver birch. need 10+ of water just off the bottom. da wife keeps killing them with her green/white feather jigs just off the bottom. As cane suggested, she can out fish 90% of us.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Ditto on the feather jigs by Spooner.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.