Chatterbaits!!

I’ve just gotten into using chatterbaits. I have caught a few largemouths and some massive rock bass. Any suggestions on where to fish them and what trailers to use?

Also, I’m heading up to the woman lake chain this weekend and was wondering if you guys have had any luck for pike with chatterbaits.

Tight Lines!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Perch colored spinners on the weedlines in Broadwater will give up alot of pike amongst other species. I trailer with a gulp or whatever dead minnows I have in the bucket. Bump your leader line up to 17# flouro. Sometimes they want live but dead works

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You can use just about any plastic on a chatterbaits. Some people say don’t use a jig body that has tail action like a paddle tail, but I do. If you want to slow the bait on the drop when jigging it or doing a strop and go retrieve, use a fatter body.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve just gotten into using them and haven’t had much luck with them yet. I’ve been using a Strike King Rage Swimmer and the Bio Spawn swimbaits as trailers. Any plastic trailer like a paddletail or craw trailer with appendages that have motion should work well. Been throwing them on weedlines primarily.

The thing that attracted me to them is that they are basically a spinnerbait, jig, and crankbait all in one lure. And you can fish it the same way you’d fish each one of those baits. I’ve heard (not tested myself) that they work well around docks as well. I need to find some heavier ones so I can get down to the deeper weedlines where I think they might really excel.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve yet to find a lake they work on. I love their action but it doesn’t seem like the fish are buying it. I gave up trying a few years ago.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’m Surprised. I do kind of think that they can be hot and cold because of how obnoxious the action is.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve yet to find a lake they work on. I love their action but it doesn’t seem like the fish are buying it. I gave up trying a few years ago.

Fished it all week on metro area lakes, really trying to give it a chance and caught one northern on it……starting to wonder if it just doesn’t do it for northern bass…..

SpoonbillSlayer
    St. Michael, MN

Fished it all week on metro area lakes, really trying to give it a chance and caught one northern on it……starting to wonder if it just doesn’t do it for northern bass…..

For me they were really hot the first 2 weeks of the Bass season this year. I have best results with them in stained water. Small paddle tails(Havoc Junior GrassPigs) for deeper and single Twister tails for shallow water work for me. Caught a few Bass with them this last weekend on the edge of weeds in 8-10ft. For that depth I like the Z-man project Z’s in 1/2 or 3/4 ounce. They have a minnow shaped head and seem to get a little deeper. They are spendier than the standard Z-mans though.

FryDog62

I also had better luck early with a Chatterbait and then it cooled off for 3-4 weeks. Just added a new trailer to my Jackhammer – a Yamamoto Zako. Got some better results than a few weeks ago so we’ll see.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.