Chasing A Vision

• B-man

Looking for some serious life advice guys.

For the last 3-4 years a dream has developed, and every year I get the itch to follow it more and more.

The short of it: quit my job, sell our house, move to the Duluth area.

There are very few things I love more than fishing the Great Lakes (my wife and kids are the only thing).

Introducing people to fishing Lake Superior for their first time and seeing the smiles on their faces is priceless. I love it….. absolutely love it. There is nothing better in my world.

It’s my passion and my drive. It’s what makes me get out of bed everyday…..whether it’s to drag the boat up and fish….or to go to work to pay the bills to fish. I can’t really explain it….but it goes as deep as the lake itself, and it’s part of me.

My dream is to one day (sooner than later) live and work in the Duluth area. I want to be on the water more….plain and simple. Last year I spent 38 days fishing Lake Superior and Lake Michigan…..but it’s just not enough.

I can’t get enough. I want more. But it’s too far away.

Now to the master plan….I want to take people fishing. Charter fishing.

I will start with a full time job in the construction field, just as I am now. My wife is an RN and can thankfully get a job almost anywhere.

Our kids start kindergarten in the fall.

A friend of mine and his partner currently run a successful two boat charter business in Duluth. They’re on their fifth or sixth year now……and he’s invited me to join the fleet!

We went to K-12 together, he’s a year younger than me. He dropped everything and moved to Duluth a number of years ago to pursue his dream…..and he loves it. He still works a real job, but gets enough trips out to make it worth it.

Now to the logistics.

The very core of this dream revolves around obtaining an OUPV Captain’s License. It just so happens there is a class coming up in two weeks. And it also just so happens we’re slow at work right now…..I think I can make the class! There is a lot more to it than a class and test, but I have it all covered.

Next, moving costs money, and even more important, it’s costs time (time IS money).

I’d need to sell our house.

I’d need to buy a house.

I’d need to line up a job, as would my wife.

How long does all of that take?

Financially we should be able to swing a move. We have around $135-$150,000 of equity in current home to put towards a new one. I could write a check today to pay off the big boat (if needed/wanted, but it would put a good dent in the savings). Which would then leave our only debt to $10,000 in student loans and my truck lease obligation (one year left).

Or should we leave the savings alone and use some equity to pay off the boat and student loans?

I’m going to make less money up there, but if we only have a house payment and lease payment for the time being we’ll have time to feel out what we can and cannot afford (as far as vehicles, new toys and such).

What would you guys do?

Should we say f-it and take the plunge? My wife is on board….

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

My advice would be to do it. A lot of people talk about doing what they live but it never happens. Seems like you have thought it through and have a solid plan. Working full time while you get up to speed is the way to do it.

The only thing I would make sure you looked was looked into is health insurance. Does that come through one of your jobs or do you need to get it on your own? It can be a massive expense as I’m sure you know. Plan for it.

I’ll come up and pay for a trip….I tip terrible though.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Just do it man. YOLO

The older I get, the more I just say Ef-it and do it.

Work to live, don’t live to work!

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

My wife is on board….

I mean you already have the toughest part figured out jester Maybe one of the jobs offers will help with moving costs too. For sure do it! plus you’ll have the states best grouse hunting not too far away.

Justin riegel

My very simple response is too short not to be happy. Sounds like financially you are in position to make it happen. My advice is to keep your saving liquid, since you have unknown upcoming costs. Homes should be a bit cheaper up there and sounds like you are still young enough to take on a 30 year mortgage. Id say go for it.

Jeff Gilberg

I’m pretty sure you already know your answer B’man.
    Just remember people paying you to fish is not the same as fishing for fun.
    Oh great another 612er up here.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Do it! You will find what ever you need. Plan accordingly and chase your dreams!

Gitchi Gummi

go for it B-man! You only live once, as others have stated. Money, while important, isn’t everything. I’d pay off your highest interest rate debt first (student loans or boat) and avoid depleting your savings to the point that you keep yourself up at night.

Housing is going to be cheaper in Duluth than the cities for sure, so you’ve got that going for you. Your wife should have no issue getting a job at Essentia or St Lukes. If you have a good skill set, finding construction work shouldn’t be too difficult either. I’ve lived in Duluth most of my life with a 5 yr stop in the Twin Cities for college. It sounds like you’ve already got connections up here but let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out in your pursuit to move north. Trust me, you won’t ever look back and you will wonder why you put up with that Twin Cities traffic for so long!

Gitchi Gummi

plus you’ll have the states best grouse hunting not too far away.

shhhhhh.. move along… nothing to see here

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Do you have your Captains license? Have you checked into insurance costs for guiding?

If you are set on doing this, go for it!

-J.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

You and I are in a similar position in life but for me it comes down to 2 things.

1. My wife isn’t interested in moving there with her family here. There’s already enough tension due to how far away we live now.

2. Putting my kids in the best possible situation for success.

Not knowing what the schools in Duluth offer, it’s hard to give my advice. I’d just say put a lot of weight on that.

My wife and I are considering making a short move to get into a better school district.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

go for it Bud! as others have said you only live once. All the details will sort themselves out. Years from now i think the only regret you would have is if you don’t do it

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

You and I are in a similar position in life but for me it comes down to 2 things.

1. My wife isn’t interested in moving there with her family here. There’s already enough tension due to how far away we live now.

2. Putting my kids in the best possible situation for success.

Not knowing what the schools in Duluth offer, it’s hard to give my advice. I’d just say put a lot of weight on that.

My wife and I are considering making a short move to get into a better school district.

Biggill

I would not put to much into the whole better school thing. I used that as one of the primary factors in my last move ( Like you I wanted to put my daughter in the best situation for future success ) What I’ve found is that Some kids get a excellent education and go on to do well even from poorly rated schools. Other kids don’t do well and do poorly even when in the top rated schools. It all comes down to what the kids and yourself put into the education no matter where they are at. Another thing is that often the better rated schools are in closed school districts – This limits where you can live. Often those better rated schools are located in cities with higher home and tax cost. My home taxes went up 2000.00 over the last 3 years do to school referendums. I’m not saying I would not use school ratings as a factor – Just not a big factor.

Ice Cap

I’m pretty sure you already know your answer B’man.
    Just remember people paying you to fish is not the same as fishing for fun.

This. I lived in the Duluth area for over 30 years. I’ve know several guys who loved fishing and hunting more than life itself. Couple bought a lake resort. Another went into guiding full time. The one thing they have in common now is they agree it’s not near as much fun once it became a job and a income to be relied upon. It gets more complicated than the “I love to do this” aspect.

I chose not to live in Duluth proper because of the schools, the taxes and the crime is getting down right ugly. I live about a half hour out of town. The Duluth medical community is currently going through a huge expansion so your wife most likely would not have a problem finding work. You mentioned you’re in construction and if it’s standard home builder/remodeler type construction that can be tough up here. There are a ton of those guys. If you’re in the trades that is better but a lot of guys in all the trades sitting on the bench at times as well. Not trying to throw a wet towel on your dreams and you very well could make it work.

If you get to the point of looking around the area send me a pm and I can maybe give you spme tips on the area in general. Best of luck in your quest!

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

You also dont have to live IN Duluth.
    Within a 30 minute drive is Hermantown, Two Harbors, Esko, Cloquet and Superior.
    My wife and I have been here since 1993, both have always worked in Duluth (UMD and St Lukes), and we have never lived a day in Duluth.
    Couple years in Hermantown, 12 years in Esko and the rest to date just outside Cloquet. From our door to UMD/Lukes is exactly 30 minutes of stress free commute. Our son has been in the Esko schools since kindergarten (junior now), and we couldn’t be happier with the school system there.
    Housing, while not as much as TC, is not cheap either tho.

You two will have to decide whats best for you, none of us can tell you that. You sound motivated, and having the support of your wife is so important. If you guys get to the point of making that step, let me know if theres anything I can help out with.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You need to go have a beer with Dutchy, i’ll shoot you straight.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

This. I lived in the Duluth area for over 30 years. I’ve know several guys who loved fishing and hunting more than life itself. Couple bought a lake resort. Another went into guiding full time. The one thing they have in common now is they agree it’s not near as much fun once it became a job and a income to be relied upon. It gets more complicated than the “I love to do this” aspect.

I know you are no planning on your living from the guiding, but this rings very true. I have known several people who lost interest in fishing and hunting once it turned into a job. Heck I myself quit fishing tournaments because it made work out of my hobby. It would be great to make money off what you love to do, but is it worth the cost.

Best of luck with your decision!!

Brad Dimond

There is a lot of wisdom in Dr. Suess – “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” You know the answer, everything else is just details.

B-man

Thanks for all the advice guys, please keep it coming, every bit is appreciated.

I need to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The chartering/guiding thing would strictly be a side gig to start. If I love it, I’ll let it take me wherever it leads. If I hate it, I’m out nothing.

I already have all of the equipment, the only investment would be in myself. Even if I never or rarely used an OUPV, the knowledge gained will be with me for life.

The hardest part will be making the leap…..I don’t mind my current place in life. I’m happy and content, but my work life could be better.

Right now I’m in Chicago for the next two weeks. I’ll be home this weekend, but being seven hours away from my wife and kids right now kills me.

No sitting down for dinner tonight, no horseback rides in the living room, no tucking them in……

I need to find a job that is closer to home…..and a home that is closer to the lake. I love my family, and I love fishing.

My current home location and current job make it hard to love the things I love most…..

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

You should always chase your dreams and I hope you succeed. Make sure to post when you get everything up and running. I would like to book an outing with you.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Have you drafted a Pro’s vs Con’s list?

Do it, let it sit on the kitchen table, look at it every time you walk by. You’ll know after a bit if you’re making the proper decision.

B-man

What trades are you experienced in? How much experience? Finding a job in the trades that allows enough free time to have a side gig being a charter captain depends a lot on the answers to those two questions.

Your wife would have no problem having a nursing job lined up before she even comes up here.

Utilities, pipe lining, grading, water/sewer, highway heavy. 17 years of experience, the last 10 of them as a Field Superintendent.

I’d prefer to jump into a managerial construction role (what I do now) or find an inspection job with an engineering firm, but I’d do whatever it takes to get started and working.

For gits and shiggles I sent my resume to a company looking for a pipelayer last night. At 7 a.m. they emailed me back wanting an interview right away. I don’t ever plan on getting back into the ditch, but it’s always an option while job searching for something else.

I’m a 563 Laborer’s union member, but I’d be open to everything. Also have a class A CDL.

Finding a job will be a piece of cake…..finding one I like will be the more challenging part.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Chasing a dream is what life is all about. Chase them in a calculated way though, especially with something so life-changing for your entire family. It sounds like you are in the early steps of doing the homework the right way.

Be sure to check into health insurance costs, the housing market and respective expenses, commute times, schools for kids, licensing and expenses associated with doing charters, etc. Be sure to remain forward thinking for the entire family. Will what works now…still work 10 years from now with regard to your health, kids maturing and spouse’s interests, etc.?

Is there any other alternative that may fulfill your desire to spend more time out on the water without making as many changes? Could you move somewhere closer but not all the way to Duluth and get 15-20 more days a year there? Could you yourself look into a new career that lets you work from home or take more time off?

Best of luck with your decision and the opportunities that await.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Lots of good advice above.

Epout started it with making a list of the pros/cons.

I’ll add starting a list of what needs to be done first to last.
    The six pack license might seem to be important but really, for me that would be the last thing I would be concerned in getting.
    Focusing on your family affairs and get the important parts taken care of.
    There’s an instructor in Superior WI (can’t recall his name right now) and I’m sure he runs classes through out the year. Figure $1500. for the first license. Renews will be less. You will need commercial insurance so to avoid sticker shock, check into that as well.

I’m working on my second dream right now…although I didn’t have to pick up and move for either of them.

Everyone needs a goal that they think is out of reach…turns out if we dream about it enough, those dreams become reality.

Deleted

As someone who has done it (chased & obtained the dream job) I can tell you why it all fell into the crapper.

Pros – I was happy

Cons –
    wife & kids missed family.

I was always working Side jobs just to be able to afford to do my “dream job”, so it was all the more burdensome on the Mrs. & our kids.

I never had time to do “Dad” stuff with my kids (fishing, hunting, etc)

Eventually had to take a money making job, moved back home to keep the family happy & sane.

** I figure it cost us about 20k to move and to buy a new place and another $20k to sell and move back home.

** If I was a single guy with no family, I’d still be there but I didn’t have a crystal ball and I didn’t see being able to keep the wife & kids happy, with me gone all the time. I chose to keep my family intact over staying in my dream job.

I wish you all the luck.

P.s.
    The guy I fish with on Lake Michigan says he used to take groups out on charters and he hated it.
    The very few drunken/hungover/arrogant/stupid/disrespectful/slob types took the fun out of it for him. So for the past several years, he only invites people he knows that he likes fishing and doesn’t charge a nickel. The paid trips made it less fun for him. We get our limits of salmon and sometimes he lets me buy breakfast.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Also have a class A CDL.

I would tend to think this could get you a job pretty easily. They’re always looking for truck drivers.

B-man

Lots of good advice above.

The six pack license might seem to be important but really, for me that would be the last thing I would be concerned in getting.
    Focusing on your family affairs and get the important parts taken care of.
    There’s an instructor in Superior WI (can’t recall his name right now) and I’m sure he runs classes through out the year. Figure $1500. for the first license. Renews will be less. You will need commercial insurance so to avoid sticker shock, check into that as well.

Brian I agree 100% that it’s low on the list, but if I’m off work that week anyway I’d like to get it done.

It’s been a goal of mine for years, regardless if I ever moved up there or not.

It would be through Ted up there in Twig, same guy you’re talking about. His schedule is very limited. If the stars align and I’m off, it must mean it’s meant to be )

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I think I’d wait until after the election in November. You may feel safe right now, but lots of things can happen after an election and lots of negative electricity is flying already.

B-man

I think I’d wait until after the election in November. You may feel safe right now, but lots of things can happen after an election and lots of negative electricity is flying already.

Yeah I’ve wondered what that could possibly do to the housing market and workforce.

I’d be all for selling high right now and renting a house for a year or two if someone’s crystal ball says a dive is coming.

Lots of sub-prime lending going on right now…..it was a leading indicator for the last recession.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.