Charging boat batteries while on the highway?

• francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Hello All,

With so many trucks offering power in the truck beds, has anyone run an extension chord to their onboard charger? My younger 2 sons and I have gotten into some car camping with the boat this summer and keeping the trolling motor batteries charged later into the trips have gotten challenging. We sometimes are on the road for 2-4 hours when lake hopping and sometimes thought is this scenario as a partial solution. Just wondering if anyone has any real life experience doing this.

TIA,

FDR

brandyman
    West central MN

You could use a dc to dc charger if you don’t want to run an extension cord to the vehicle. They are used on electric over hydraulic trailers. That way it does not drain your vehicle battery but would still mean a wire connection to boat.

isu22andy

Not sure why it wouldnt work , just make sure it doesnt get down into the tire and you leave some slack for turning. I ran a 120 v areator on mine for a couple hours with some bait and it worked well.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

It has to be a pure sine wave inverter in the pickup truck or most chargers won’t work. I don’t know whether they use a pure sine wave inverter or a modified sine wave inverter. My gas would be they go with the cheap route and use a modified sine wave but who knows? You’ll have to test it.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Yeah I run an extension cord from my Predator 2000 generator in the back of my pickup to the on board charger in the boat. works like a charm.

acarroline

That’s a heckuva idea. Good thinking, I may give that a try.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.