Charging batteries while in valet

• F-14 Virus

This will be my first year owning a boat and my wife bought me “valet service for the season” at a Lake Winnipesaukee marina. My question is, how can I charge my trolling motor batteries while my boat is stacked in its valet slot? Taking the batteries out of the boat after each use and bringing them home to charge seems rather work intensive. Is there any other way? Thanks!

munchy
    NULL

You’ll want to ask the marina you’re working with. Many require all power to be completely turned off for insurance reasons. I’m guessing they’ll want you to charge before stacking.

F-14 Virus

You’ll want to ask the marina you’re working with. Many require all power to be completely turned off for insurance reasons. I’m guessing they’ll want you to charge before stacking.

Thanks Munchy. If I was to get an onboard charger for my 24v system any idea how long it would take to recharge the batteries? Is this something that could be accomplished on the run back to the marina after a day of fishing?

Depends on batteries and charger and use of trolling motor, but as a loose rule of thumb, it takes about 1.5 times the duration of use to charge. A fancy lithium setup could charge 4x faster than duration of use.

Youre wife sounds terrific, but if this is your first fishing boat experience, I’d recommend trailering to a self-secured location. The lessons learned will be valuable and lifelong. Valet service and fishing boats don’t jive super well imo.

F-14 Virus

Thanks Fishwater, Much appreciated. That was my thought as well (on all counts ????). If that is the rule of thumb then charging before stacking is a non-starter. …And agree that trailering would be best, but that too is water under the bridge for this season. I’ll have to figure something out. Thanks!

F-14 Virus

Pivoting the topic a bit… So it looks like charging my trolling motor batteries isn’t much of an option while stacked in a valet slot. I want to keep my boat nice and covered, so what are the group’s thoughts on charging batteries while in the water at the slip. …And would it be dangerous to charge the batteries with the travel cover on the boat (should I be concerned of any trapped hazardous gasses)?

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I charge mine with onboard charger with cover on. Never a problem.

F-14 Virus

That is great to hear! Looks like I’m going to pay a little extra for a slip instead of valet but the I will get more time on the water and have the ability to charge my trolling motor batteries. Thanks to all who responded! Very much appreciated!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

That is great to hear! Looks like I’m going to pay a little extra for a slip instead of valet but the I will get more time on the water and have the ability to charge my trolling motor batteries. Thanks to all who responded! Very much appreciated!

I’ve had dry stack storage for our pleasure boat and after seeing the mess that slip storage makes out of a nice boat, I would never subject my boat to the abuse of a slip.

Within a few weeks, the bottom of your boat will be covered with a green goo. Unless you slip is covered, your boat will bake in the sun and the entire thing will be covered with bird #### every time you want to use it.

If you can’t trim your outboard all the way out of the water, your lower unit will be leaking within a year.

Also, you will need to go to the marina after every heavy rain to make sure your cover isn’t caved in with water or worse yet, your boat isn’t resting on the bottom in 4 feet of water.

Stay with dry stack would be my advice. The charging problem is an easy fix, buy 2 sets of batteries.

Grouse

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

If you slip it, make sure your anodes are good and keep an eye on them.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

hanks Munchy. If I was to get an onboard charger for my 24v system any idea how long it would take to recharge the batteries? Is this something that could be accomplished on the run back to the marina after a day of fishing?

You’ll learn about the different charging systems. An onboard charger is a term typically used for using an ac power source. Think Minnkota 210D or 220D. Since they require a AC power, the aren’t active when on the water. I’m a huge fan of these but have access to power after fishing.

Another type of charger is using DC power supplied by your motor. Think Minnkota MK2-DC. These have their advantage but are not a miracle cure. Think of it this way, if you need 6 hours @ 10 amps/hour to recharge and it’s a 20 minute boat ride to the marina…

I have both in my boat. DC charger reduces recharging time when I get home by putting a little back in here and there during the day(especially when remote Canadian fishing). AC fully charges and maintains as well. No issues plugging in while on the water for me either.

Welcome to boat ownership wave Keep the questions coming! There’s no silver bullet for your situation, just pros and cons.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.