Chainsaw Recommendation

• waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I think we need to know is the OPs cutting firewood cutting beer can logs in the backyard for a fire pit or truck loads of wood for a stove or wood burning fireplace . That’ll be the deal breaker or maker on electric vs gas .

General use would be yes for the beer can sized logs/branches around the house, but the trail cleanup is a little more of a kicker. We have tons of old popple (12″+) on our farm and “trail cleanup” usually means dealing with a few of those every time we head to the trails. We don’t heat with wood though.

JoeMX1825
    MN

The newer electric chainsaws can easily handle 12″ logs with their 18″ bars… its just a matter of how many 12″ cuts they can make on a battery charge… there’s no good formula to predict that number of cuts as there’s lots of factors that can change it…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Electric chainsaws will be more than adequate in popple. After the heavy wet snow of the 22/23 winter, I cleaned up miles of bent over trees on fence lines and road with a Milwaukee pole saw. A 6 ahr battery makes hundreds of cuts in smaller popple. And as I mentioned before they are a lot more pleasant to use.

I also bought a small inverter to plug into the UTV cigarette lighter. Then I can run my charger and charge batteries in the UTV while I’m cutting. $30 on Amazon. With three batteries I can cut continuously and never run out of power.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

We have the Milwaukee electric pole saw and the only thing it’s had issues with is dead Ash. That stuff is incredibly hard. Anything else I’ve tried has been fine. I don’t see a reason I’d ever buy a gas pole saw again. As for the standard chain saw, it’s still definitely depends on the situation as many have noted.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Just because it’s relatively quiet doesn’t mean it is a shorts and sandals task.

That’s why I wear crocs! chased rotflol

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I also bought a small inverter to plug into the UTV cigarette lighter. Then I can run my charger and charge batteries in the UTV while I’m cutting. $30 on Amazon. With three batteries I can cut continuously and never run out of power.

This is the way. As long as I have a means to charge my 3 batteries (which I do in my truck, or as Grouse does on a UTV), I will never run out of power. And even without charging capacity, the 2.5, 6 and 7.5 AH batteries will get thru at least a half a day.

wormdunker

I will sell you my stihl farm boss, have about 5 extra chains. Its one of those that will run forever! has been a great tool for me. Bought it to clear downed trees from a tornado in 1999. Used it after another storm in 2010 and of course various limbs down every other year. Never a hiccup.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.