I Need A New Flathead Rod!! Any Advice??

• Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Hey guys, I have a need for a new flathead river rod. I fish medium to large rivers and was wondering what rods you would recommend. I was looking for the old St. Croix cat rods but it seems that they aren’t to be found anymore. So, I am here to see what you guys have for advice. Consider price the lowest of concerns, I want quality. Please advice and tight lines!

cptyack
    Rosemount, mn

Check out the catfish safari rods. I got one from mr. moore just before he closed. He asked me if I was going to be fishing for sharks. Thats what I look for in a flat rod. I cant remember the exact model but I know you can get them online at catfish safari. By the way they have a wrapped handle instead of cork very easy to hold onto.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Steve,FYI from St Croix,

We still make that rod. It is now the Premier PGM80HM musky rod. We did not touch the blank, we just shifted it to the Premier series when we discontinued the cat series. Same rod, still available, just doesn’t say cat on it.

We also have quite a few guys that use the 6’10 version that prefer a shorter rod for the boat.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

The 5 ft Perigren Trolling rods that Dean sells handle big cats really nicely too.

dr._flathead

Quote:

Check out the catfish safari rods.

I agree 100%. I have an 8 foot Catfish Safari rod (Green Wrap) and that rod is flat out AWESOME. I will have another for next year.

shawnil

I’ve heard good things about Catfish Safari, and I’ve been longing to check out the Team Catfish 1/2 and 3/4 ton rods.
    Some guys like Surge, American Premier, and Quantum Big Cat.

I know of lot of these are E glass rods, although I use some composite and graphite ones too. Whatever feels comfortable that you like. For me feel and action are key. I do like 1 pc rods, and generally 7’or 8′.

My last purchase was a Shakespeare Tiger Lite “heavy” spinning rod – 7′ 1 pc. I like it a lot, but it’s more of a medium heavy which suits my style of fishing fine.

hanson

If I’m buying a new flathead rod today, I’m looking at a Catfish Safari ‘Flathead’ or a Tangling with Catfish rod. The new Berkley E-Cats wouldn’t be a very bad choice either.

I’ve got a few of the Classic Cats but not sure I’d list the 8′ Heavy as my favorite, favorite flathead rod. Its very close but I prefer a bit softer tip, and I think the Catfish Safari Flathead has that.

shawnil

good post!

Totally agree on the flexibility in rod tip. Coulnd’t think of that last night, but Tangling w Catfish is another rod people have been raving about. Look very nice.

dr._flathead

Quote:

I prefer a bit softer tip, and I think the Catfish Safari Flathead has that.

I assure you it does…..

Question, Now that Moores is no longer, who carries Catfish Safari rods? If they have to be ordered it might be wise to order as a group to save on shipping……IM IN!!!!

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

St. Croix Premiere Surf rod for the big biters. Shakespeare Big Water Ugly Stick for the light biters.

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

I’m a spinning guy, so I don’t have the range of options that casting guys do, but I’ve always had really low-cost rods (almost put “cheap” but that aint so…)

My main arsenal has been the South Bend “Catfish Special” in a 7′ length, and I have loved them – caught most of my really big cats on them and they’re holding up admirably – they have all that I need.

Or so I thought until this season I added an American Spirit Nite Stick (7′ length, MH) to my Catfish Connection order. They say they’re an e-glass graphite composite, and when I tried mine out it was just what I’ve always wanted – the strength of my old rods at less than half the weight. Haven’t been nearly as field tested, but I’m going to them for my entire arsenal.

And what makes that even better is that they cost all of $16.95 each. I nearly pulled the trigger on an Ugly Stik Tiger Lite, but tried this one first, and glad I did because I can get three rods and some hooks for the price of one of those.

The casting version costs more ($20-$33 depending which model you choose) but still well below the range of all those custom rods. My way of thinking is that the price makes them worth trying, and if you like them, buy 4 of them and not worry about rods for awhile.

Just some input from the resident cheapskate, lol.

shawnil

Nothing wrong with being thrifty… two of my favorite rods were picked up used. One for only $5, and all I needed to do was change the tip.

All things being equal, probably more important to have a quality reel – although one of my casting reels is an SKP2000 from e bay.

I’ve gone through a few different catfish rods (just sold my King Kat at garage sale). The mainstays of my present collection:

Abu ultracast casting (used)
    Shimano Convergence casting (over 10 years old)
    Offshore angler fiberglass spinning ($5 used)
    Tiger Lite spinning
    Berkley Reflex (great for channel cats)
    Cabaela’s classic spinning ($19.95?)
    Shakespeare Catera spinning (hand me down)

Don’t use the last two a lot…

Shawn

ps: I thought about getting rid of the Reflex and Offshore rods a few times, but they work well for channel cats. The Offshore is pretty beefy, so I’ve been using it for flatheads too lately.

hanson

My favorite cat rods that I own are my Berkley Reflex 8′ MH that I use all the time, and they were like $20-25 a piece. They are the newer version Reflex with cork grips and the red wraps. Like all good cat rods, good luck finding one of these anywhere… if you do let me know!!

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

It’s hard to buy a rod when you can’t lay hands on them.

catmando
    wis

Any good musky stick will work or some stout fiberglass,IF you fish by yourself in a boat, i would keep the rod no longer than 7 ft, Hand landing or netting a 50 pound flat by yourself with a 8 ft stick is a challenge.. some tip in the rod is nice.

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

St. Croix Avid Inshore – 8ft Heavy-Fast

This might be the same 8ft blank you were refering too? I bought it for sturgeon but it is an excellent cat rod too. It was a little spendy but IMO the best rod for cat and sturgeon!

<<<Link to my post with pictures>>>

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

For the price, I still like my 8′ MH Berkely Glowstick. Then again, I haven’t tangled with anything above 20lbs with it, so a big fish might rip it apart..

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

For the price, I still like my 8′ MH Berkely Glowstick. Then again, I haven’t tangled with anything above 20lbs with it, so a big fish might rip it apart..

i’ve had a 35 lb flat on mine just fine. although i do have rods i prefer over it

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

I have 2 Shimano Talora rods, MH Fast, one is an 8′ leadcore trolling rod that I have my Shimano Baitrunner 4500b on, the other one is an 8’6″ baitcaster that I have my Abu 7000C3 on.

And I have one St. Croix Triumph that I have a Shimano Corvalus 300 on… but that one’s mostly for channels and stuff.

I love my Talora line of rods, and they’re fairly cheap ($50-75) at Thorne Bros.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.