Am I just that bad at this or what?

• armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Apparently I’m not that bad at this after all…

Pic reposted from the Flathead Pictures thread.

I love learning, but more than that I love the improvements I see in my performance as I learn.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That poor thing must have been so hungry it at a couple rocks. Just look at the distended belly.

armchairdeity

Yeah, who knew a fish like that would be full of rocks instead of eggs, like you’d expect a fish to be just before the spawn?

Bizarre stuff…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Yeah, who knew a fish like that would be full of rocks instead of eggs, like you’d expect a fish to be just before the spawn?

Bizarre stuff…

To be clear, I was being sarcastic. You didn’t take that as me accusing you of putting rocks in a fish, did you?

armchairdeity

Quote:

To be clear, I was being sarcastic. You didn’t take that as me accusing you of putting rocks in a fish, did you?

LOL… that never even occurred to me. I was being sarcastic to your sarcasm.

It can be soooo hard to play along around here.

NO, wait! I did take it that way and you can make me feel better by letting me tag along next time you go out!

Worth a try…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I might go tonight. I have some bullies to get rid of, but the weather might not cooperate. Plus, I don’t like the fact the river temps dropped some and the flow is down. I suppose the rain might help though, and I like that the barometer is down.

smartin013
    Kalispell, MT

Is that the same one you sent me a picture of? Nice work!

I signed up just to comment.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Well don’t be a stranger Sam!

Welcome to IDo!

smartin013
    Kalispell, MT

At this time I am a busy man I’ve known Jared for almost 20 years. We really were bad at fishing when we used to borrow a friends canoe and only catch a bad sunburn! I am mainly a Bass man myself but if they had cats out here I might be fishing for them too. The water is too clear in NW Montana for cats

Gota go put my little boat in the water and see what I can catch

Jared, anyone else on here I might know?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I’ve known Jared for almost 20 years

I’ve only known him for 9 months or so and I complain too.

No..he’s a good guy with a ton of passion for fishing.

We have a bass forums somewhere around here…might have to ask directions though.

armchairdeity

I don’t think you would know anyone else here, but I can’t say for sure.

It’s good to see you dude…

Yeah, Sam and I used to bum a canoe off a friend of my dad and go out early in the morning and I caught one small bass in all the time we used to go out. That was probably 15 years or more ago.

He keeps telling me there’s bass in Montana… I have yet to admit to even knowing what that is.

armchairdeity

Quote:

Quote:

I’ve known Jared for almost 20 years

I’ve only known him for 9 months or so and I complain too.

No..he’s a good guy with a ton of passion for fishing.

We have a bass forums somewhere around here…might have to ask directions though.

Brown-noser.

smartin013
    Kalispell, MT

Quote:

He keeps telling me there’s bass in Montana… I have yet to admit to even knowing what that is.

Huh???? Not real lunkers like in MN waters. The biggest I caught was 21-22″ and around 5.5-6# (somewhat trim) The biggest this year so far is only 2.25# but I had to do some work to the boat to get it in the water this year not to mention digging it out from under a whole winters worth of projects.

Oh… It helps to put the cork in the boat BEFORE you push it into the water

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Oh… It helps to put the cork in the boat BEFORE you push it into the water

Some things are universal!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Heres another tip Jared I and my friends have used occasionally when fishing channels with livers. We use to get our livers in a tub and then we would put them in a styrafoam meat tray, like the ones hamburger come on. We would unwrap the hamburger carefully saving the plastic then put in the tub of chicken livers and add garlic powder then rewrap with the plastic. We then set this tray in the sun all day. The heat from the sun makes the livers firm up alot and the garlic powder does the trick with the scent. The livers become more solid and stay on the hook better and the catfish smell the garlic powder much quicker, we noticed a big diffrence in the hits. When packageing the livers we seperated the two sections with a knife, try it, its pretty good bait. When setting it somewhere a dark metal surface is a good idea.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Yep Mossy….I’ve been using prepared livers for a few years now….some days they work good…other days so-so..

I posted my recipe awhile back…..
    here is my IDO liver post

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Are you guys exclusively using chicken livers or do you use pork liver too? we have had luck with pig in the past.

armchairdeity

Mossy, that’s a great idea… I’ll have to give that a try.

DFresh, when we use liver we usually only use chicken liver. We’ve tried beef before, too… it stays on the hook nice but it didn’t get us much luck. I’ll take a peek for pork sometime when I’m at a store that carries them.

I’m from Faribault, 20k people in the middle of a corn field, and the grocery store meat departments all carry fresh meat including liver… so it irritates me that Cub only sells pacakaged, frozen liver, you can’t get it fresh.

Stupid metro convenience packaging.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya I know Mud, isn’t that the truth with all baits, even dead smelly minnows. Most everybody around here uses just chicken livers but I’ve heard some guys use pork livers in turtle traps. I don’t know how they prepare the liver even if they do. I’ve always thought that maybe a touch of anise oil would also work in the garlic livers but never tried it. My friend up by Elkader, hillbilly Dave makes a knockout dip bait useing Limburger cheese, Ive never used it but Its supposed to work really good and smell like hel-.

Hey did you guys hear that up north by a town here in Iowa called Charles City they been spotting a bear or two recently, it was on the local news today. The funny thing is that Charles city is about 75 miles inside of the Iowa-Minn. border and probably 100 miles north of here. Anybody hear anything about it, pretty cool I think as long as theres not alot of them to damage the deer population…

I just read your post on the livers Mud. I thought I was the guy who thought of it way back when but who knows, it might be more popular then I thought.

armchairdeity

Quote:

I just read your post on the livers Mud. I thought I was the guy who thought of it way back when but who knows, it might be more popular then I thought.

That’s what’s called “Simultaneous Invention”… aka “Great Minds Think Alike” or just GMTA for short. Happens all over the world, most notably with color television in the US and Russia back in the 30s.

It’s like convergent evolution, only totally and completely different.

Viewing 20 posts - 31 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.