Excursion reports

• dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I’m not seeing much for reports on the Excursion.

Our trip was very slow, and by watching the boats out in front of the resorts, it looked to be slow for them too.

We fished hard, and managed a handful over 50. John went quite a ways upstream and had much better luck with 3 over 60 (63 the biggest) and maybe 8 or 9 over 50.

For sure a different bite this year, but we still had fun.

Did anyone hear that big explosion on Friday night? I thought maybe it was the contest kickoff or something. Speaking of which, who won and what were the sizes? I told John that his boat probably could’ve swept it with a 63,62 and 61.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Too much unpacking and emails to catch up on. The photo should be up tonight along with more sturgeon jumping video!

Were the winning lengths. I should have the names to go with the measurements by tonight.

Clearly “up stream” put larger fish in the boat.

wastewaterguru

Had we signed up we would have taken 2nd and 3rd. That will teach me.

Great to see the newbies in my boat get on fish. Brian we caught 3 of our big ones on Saturday about 3 miles or so down from where we saw you…….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

After you left a fella with a fly rod (7wt) hooked into a small sturgeon. That lasted about 45 minutes until his leader dragged across the rocks. Gone!

Another fella couldn’t net his fish so a buddy used a gaf. Then measured the fish and realized it was too large to keep…legally. Tossed it back. Had I had cell service.

The FW was met at the landing by an older fella. Asked how the bite was then told her that if he had a pistol he would shoot every one of those walleye egg eating $$#@$.

Had I been there to hear this, I would have shown him my pistol and told him I was shooting all those sturgeon egg eating walleyes. The FW knew better than to tell me this until after he left.

I don’t want to come across like a sturgeon snob. I wouldn’t do this stuff (gill holds, gaff ect) to walleyes or other rough fish either.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Had we signed up we would have taken 2nd and 3rd. That will teach me.

We had some pretty nice prizes for just entering the contest and being present at the drawing.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I sat and watched (with binocs from our cabin at Schusters) a boat sit and fish for wallyes. One in the front and one in the back jigged with light rods rigged with jig/minnow, while the middle guy fished for sturgeon. They caught some nice eyes too, one that was close to 30 I’m sure. Pretty blatant right out in the armada of boats.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m a little surprise there was zero enforcement out there. One DNR boat looking to measure fish…and that was all. Just there presents would help keep the honest people honest.

I didn’t see or hear of the Canadian border patrol being out…and that was a good thing for one fella. He was helping his 10 year old land a sturgeon. Well into the Canadian waters. As I went by I told him were he was and he seemed to appreciate it.

I fished for 1 day without a lakemaster chip and once fishing with one it’s like fishing in the dark. Never again!

And Thanks! to Brian Ney for letting me use his until mine arrived!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Wow, sounds like there were some ignorant people up there.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

How was the over-all Boat traffic compared to years past?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Judging by the rigs at the two ramps I was at…I would say lower than past years.

Monstermechanic

Hey Brian, Aaron here, I agree…too much unpacking and emails and phone calls and etc. It’s a lot to handle after a trip like that!

Bill, are you back in Denver yet? I only have one thing to say……IT WAS THIS (___________________________) BIG!!! You know what I’m talking about. See you next year!

My report…fishing was slow. But, I did have three “Sturgeon Virgins”(stolen trademark from our t-shirt captain)in my party of six, and all three of them caught the biggest fish of their lives. They caught a 50″, a 48″, and a 46”. And that’s what it’s all about….do the hokey pokey

My party came nowhere near landing a good amount of fish, but we did land quite a few decent Sturgeon and best of all we made memories. All in all, wonderful trip.

***Pics to come, and video of my brother’s $28 rod(and reel!!!) vs. my $300 rod. Words cannot do justice

-Aaron Crosby-
    -Catch’em Fast! fishing-

wastewaterguru

Here is our top 6 fish for our boat……..

John’s 55 to start the weekend off on Thursday in the bay…

Dan’s 62 incher from Friday in the bay.

Dan’s 63 incher Friday in front of Wigwam….

Mike’s 61 incher down from Clementson on Saturday…..

Mike’s 58 incher down from Clementson on Saturday…..

John’s 50 incher Saturday evening down from Clementson….

larry_haugh
    MN

Pretty cool Pics John!!! Good to see the first timers got to tangle with some size. I bet they will be wanting to make that trip again.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Nice fish guys! Good seeing you again!

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

I bet they will be wanting to make that trip again.

Not after riding home with wastewaterstinkybutt

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.