Bullhead Traps are Working!!

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

The ice went out on my favorite bullhead pond on Friday so I put out 4 bullhead traps yesterday. I checked them this morning and two were empty but the other two caught five 5″ bullheads. I’ve got the bait tank filled and it is now the welcome home for my first bullheads of the season. I’ll keep the traps going for a while – with this warmer weather the baitfish activity will pick up as that water quickly warms. It was cold this morning – those bullies were pretty lethargic.

The St Croix is already starting to drop – it is almost down about a foot from the flood crest of 685.9′ and this morning was at 685′. The forecast is for a steady drop as long as this dry weather holds. Water temp is coming up nicely too – 43 degrees this morning and this warm weather may turn on some channel cats. Hopefully I’ll have enough bullheads ready when the bite turns on.

wkw

What do you use for bait to get them to go in it?

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Right now I’m using dog food. To be honest with you, the traps will work without any bait at all but I usually use something at least dog food. The best bait this time of year is minnows (fatheads or crappie minnows). When you catch some minnows the bullheads will head right for the trap going after the minnows. If you have some old frozen cut bait that works good for bait also. Just chunk it up a little smaller and throw it in the trap. The juices will lure in the bullheads.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You should string a bunch of them together like pots and then call the Discovery Channel.

daveho
    Cassville Wi missippi pool 11

Steve
    I am interested in your bullhead traps. Are they home made or did you buy them some place. Could you post a picture or draw up some plans for building your own.

Thanks
    Dave

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Dave – I use the standard cylindrical minnow traps that you can buy at Fleet Farm or Cabela’s. I increase the size of the opening to 1 1/2″. I also have one crab trap that I bought at Cabela’s that works pretty good also. Here are a couple of photos:

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Thanks Steve. I wondered what you where using. Might have to stop by Fleet Farm on the way home.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Hi Paul – If I was going to buy new traps I would get the ones at Catfish Connection. They sell an extension for their traps which adds an additional 15″ to the trap. I bought two of them and they are much better than the standard Frabill trap. Trouble is the extensions don’t fit the Frabill traps that Fleet Farm or Walmart sell. The Catfish Connection traps are called Danielson Traps and they cost about $7 and the extension is called Danielson Trap Extension 15 Inch and costs about $7.50.

The Frabill traps work fine but they are kind of small. If you can find a spot with bigger bullheads the extension comes in pretty handy and extends the entire trap out to about 30″ which is nice.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I’ll have to check that out. Thanks Steve.

daveho

Steve I was looking in Catfish Connection they sell two different minnow traps both will work with the 15 inch extension. One has two 1 inch openings and the other is called a crawfish trap and has two 2 1/4 inch openings. Is the 2 1/4 inch opening too big or should I get the 1 inch opening and open it up to 1 1/2 inch.
    Dave

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Hi Dave – Minnesota fishing regulations say the diameter or width of the opening may not exceed 1 1/2″. Having said that you should know that the bigger the opening the bigger the bullheads you will catch. I get a lot of small 4″ to 5″ bullheads in my cylindrical traps which I keep and use for cut bait and sometimes for live bait. Most of my big bullheads (7″ plus) I catch with hook and line.

daveho

Thanks I will have to look up our Wis regs before I purchase any minnow traps. Ive got my bait tank all set. I want to start putting in some bullheads, very soon. Thanks for the information on your minnow traps
    Dave

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Steve do I need any other license’s to put out bullhead traps. Been trying to find it in the book.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Quote:

Steve do I need any other license’s to put out bullhead traps. Been trying to find it in the book.

Page 70, 2010 Minnesota Fishing Regulations –
    Minnows and Leeches: Licensed anglers may take minnows or leeches for their own use with dip nets, traps, or seines.

By license they mean a current Minnesota Fishing License.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Thats what I thought but thought I’d ask to make sure. Thanks a lot Steve!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.