Lake Winnebago gives up 212 pound sturgeon

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

The DNR was predicting one over 200 would be taken this year. On another note, was tragic to hear of he man that fell in died today up there

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Sorry to hear about the guy as well. Hope I am as lucky, being 85 and out sturgeon spearing. Living the dream.

Great fish.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

Hope I am as lucky, being 85 and out sturgeon spearing. Living the dream.

Why would you spear sturgeon? Do you keep them for the eating or something?

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Quote:

It may not be for me or you but…..

They do it because it’s been a long lasting successful, fun, tradition on one of, if not the greatest Sturgeon fishery’s in the World.

The Fisheries division “DNR” does a fantastic job of running it through lottery tag applications along with regulating “closing it once quota’s are reached” the Sturgeon Harvest so taking a few hundred fish every year doesn’t hurt a thing except a few anti-spear-ers feelings..

Among other great things the residents of the area during the spawn volunteer to keep watch over the Spawning area’s to curtail poachers…It’s really an unique and important event for the area.

It seems to get better every year hats off to the Winnebago Sturgeon Event!

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Because it’s a long lasting successful, fun, tradition on one of, if not he greatest Sturgeon fishery’s in the World.
    The DNR or whatever they are called over there does a fantastic job of running through lottery tags along with regulating “closing it once quota’s are reached” the Sturgeon Harvest so taking a few hundred fish every year doesn’t hurt a thing except a few anti-spear-ers feelings..
    It seems to get better every year hats of to the Winnebago Sturgeon Event!

Ok, I understand…but what do you do with a 212 pound sturgeon?

Can you eat it?

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Ok, I understand…but what do you do with a 212 pound sturgeon?

Can you eat it?

You can eat anything if you cook it right.

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

it can be smoked, grilled, fried, baked, boiled… it’s all good.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

For us MN guys, I think it’s hard to understand this type of harvesting because our fishery is really back in it’s infancy.

As Pier indicated it might be the oldest managed fishery in the US and they are doing very well.

I’ve had smoked shovelnose and deep fried white sturgeon. The smoked shovels tasted like anything else smoked. The white sturgeon had more of a pork chop texture, but I can’t really recall if it tasted like chicken or not.

I didn’t like either one of them enough to harvest one just to have more.

The folks over there in WI are a very lucky bunch.

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

A guy that comes turkey hunting at my place brought some one year. It was the best fish I ever ate. Of course he knew how to cook it just right too. The meat was snow white and tender when cooked. He had speared an 88 pounder. Not sure if the big ones are still good or not, but they must be. I went once, most boring day I ever spent, all you do is look down a big hole into murky water and wait for one to cruise under the hole. But the hamburgers and beer were great. You can not fish with hook and line while spearing either.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

I know he’s thinking about mounting the fish if moneys can be enlisted.

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

Actually, sturgeon are excellent eating. They are one of the few fish that flavor and texture does not seem to be effected by size. My guess is that fish would be wonderful eating.

Personally, I would sure like to have caught it on hook and line and let it live to fight another day. I have a friend who loves to spear so I understand it but I have mostly given up hunting because there is no catch and release.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I was not ridiculing anyone for doing this. I seriously had no idea people would/do eat sturgeon. I am not downing anyone for this I was just trying to understand why you would spear sturgeon, now I know

What do you think a 200lb sturgeon would taste like? That would be like eating a 300 year old ???? Sorry not for me

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Quote:

What do you think a 200lb sturgeon would taste like? That would be like eating a 300 year old ???? Sorry not for me

I’m not sure what it tastes like either, but that fish is probably less than 40 years old, which is similar to the 100-150lb Alaskan Halibut everybody eats? In fact if I remember right on average Halibut actually live longer than sturgeon.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m sure fish very somewhat, but our MN sturgeon would be closer to 50 years old at 212 pounds…but that’s slitting hairs.

I think the big difference would be that a Halibut lives in the ocean compared to a sturgeon that came from a lake that averages 12 fow and is known for it’s paper plant and other pollution not that long ago.

That would be my gut feeling. I haven’t looked up any data on this.

Even so, they are allowed to…so bon appetit.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

WOW, that is a monster

While I don’t think I would want to eat a 100 year old fish that has sucked all the good stuff off the bottom of a lake/river, I congratulate the Angler/spearer

I hope he does not grow an extra set of toes after eating that thing

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

She’s a biggun…

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

Quote:

I hope he does not grow an extra set of toes after eating that thing

Or glows in the dark.

That is a great fish. Must push the weight limit on that hitch haul.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.