Help from the cat guys

• wilson1984

Hey guys I’m looking at getting a bullhead tank set up for this summer. I have a few different ideas but am looking for some other ones. I like Steve DeMars idea of setting up a tank inside of a shed but I don’t really have that much room and I don’t want to spend that much on a shed(like pic #1).
    One of my ideas is to set up a washtub like pic #2.
    Just without the center piece in there. If I go with this idea I would be able to put it in a corner and put plexiglass over the top and use it as a bench.

I don’t need to have a huge tank because I will be mostly fishing by myself this summer, none of my buddies want to go I guess I think there afraid of the dark I figure if I can hold 50 or so bullheads it would be fine. Any ideas guys?

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

That wash tub idea looks slick for you.Could double for your grinder washtub come fall.I would drill and put a hose fitting on the bottom for changing the water.Just run it down your driveway to the street drain. How many gallon tub is that?

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Really glad you started this thread – I was also going to do the same thing this spring. I was hoping for 50-100 bullies. I think pug may have a pretty good setup if I remember right?

wilson1984

Quote:

How many gallon tub is that?

You can get them from 38-44 gallons. That’s what I have seen so far. I would run a hose about a foot down from the bottom of the tub and put a little valve in there, then I could just hook up a garden hose when I need to drain and open the valve. I was thinking about using it as a wash sink in the fall but I don’t know how sanitary I would be able to get it after having the bullheads in it all summer. I like your idea though Sauger, Thanks!

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

A little bleach goes a long way although a little horned trout slime never hurt anyone

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Where are you planning on setting up this tank? If its in a cool basement you’ll be fine but in a garage or enclosed area it will get too hot come May/June in my experience. You might be able to overcome the heat with continual water flow or introducing more oxygen to the water.

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

Hey Wilson, I like the bulk tank idea,and who knows if you ever decide your done with the bullhead thing,you could always invite bk over for Saturday night “tubbies” after cat fishing…….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

bk over for Saturday night “tubbies” after cat fishing

That would assume that I bathe.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

My experince is that the bullies I get from the local pond are pretty hardy. I ended sinking one of those big plastic tubs in my garden, nice little water feature. Little does my FW know, but during the summer it is full of bullies! Other than a cooper’s hawk last year, I haven’t had any problems with mortality. I hit it with the hose every week or two and all is good. I do like the wash tub idea tho!

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Another trick I’ve learned from bait wholesalers is to add 1 1/2 cups of Louisiana Rock Salt sold at Mills Fleet, very cheap, to every 50 gallons of water. It not only helps with making a slime coat and allows the breakdown of ammonia much easier with aeration breaking it down to non harmful nitrites. Using the rock salt trick and I can keep 4-5 dozen shiners alive in 55 gallons of water with heavy aeration for 6 months. If you ever tried keeping shiners alive you know how difficult this can be so it will work great with bullies. Start the tank very early in the season so a biological culture is started to assist in breaking down the ammonia is also essential. A sponge held on the bottom of the tank for a couple months will be a great source for growing a healthy culture and is mandatory IMHO.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Other than a cooper’s hawk last year, I haven’t had any problems with mortality.!

Not to side track us here, but the Cooper’s hawk fished out bullheads? Cool, I thought they only went after song birds. We have one that sometimes comes around. I have to run out and chase him away to protect the gold finches, chickadees and cardinal. The redtail that sometimes comes around took down one of my squirrels a couple of years ago in the front yard. The crows were happy that I chased him off because they got to steal it from him.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

OT, yes pug, but I think a coon started the problem at night and the hawk showed up to finish the next day. Yep, typically song birds, this guy often sits on our deck rail and waits for them to fly out from the lilacs, mid air bang! Very cool to see, but not cool for the little guys. Great tip on the salt!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I had a coopers hawk last year decided he wanted one of the doves and chased it all over before making a kill in mid air right over my head. One of the cooler things I’ve ever seen unless you are a dove. Looks like a nice setup. Best setup I’ve seen was a commercial fisherman he had an artesion well that dumped into his shed into a milk tank. Ice cold and always running. I used to get 20 bullheads from him for 5 dollars. Nice to have someone else maintain your bait for you. I could pull up and grab a net full and be gone in seconds.

troy_blackstad
    Hastings MN

scared of the dark. I’ll be going back to work so I’ll be able to go without upseting the wife again. I’ld love to get one of those big cats in that new boat of yours.

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

I’m also thinking about setting up a tank. Cool thread. Keep talking guys, the info is great.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.