Sturgeon Excursion very disappointing this year…

• the better half
    Champlin, MN

Our weekend was also slightly disappointing. We probable caught 20 fish between Thursday and Saturday. One would think that would be a good weekend of fishing but 2 years ago we were catching 20 fish each day. Bottom line, we have gotten spoiled.

We also fished with everyone else and more than once we were shaking our heads at the behaviors of others. There was 3 boats anchored fairly close together and the 7-8 guys found the need to use the f-word at least 2-3 times in every sentance. That got a little old. We also encountered a lot of boaters driving extremly fast through a group of anchored boats or extremly close to the outer ring of anchoed boats.

Even with these negatives, we had a great weekend. Yes, there were a few morons out there but the great people we encounted far outnumbered the bad!

We are already looking forward to next year.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I found pyramid sinkers to work much better than no-rolls. The no-rolls flutter in the heavy current. I was using 5-6 ounce pyramids. Towards the lake, I could have used 4, but I don’t have any 4 ounce pyramids

We started the weekend near Clementson–6 ounces wasn’t even holding real well there. The current was HEAVY! The river is dropping, though. You might be able to use less next weekend.

I made the comment yesterday that I brought a 40 pound box of lead with me and only used 2 sinkers all weekend

ggoody
    Mpls MN

So there were close 200 or more Boats in the Bay? Is it safe to say the numbers of anglers has increased dramatically the last 3 years?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

So there were close 200 or more Boats in the Bay? Is it safe to say the numbers of anglers has increased dramatically the last 3 years?

I’d say well over 200 boats between the bay and the section of river just upstream of it. I haven’t fished that area in past years, but there was a lot of people.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Heck, I can stay home and drink, but I can’t fish Sturgeon out my back door

If you would have fished out your back door, you would have matched your performance from Saturday

You speak the truth young Grasshopper. When you stink, you stink, what can I say.

I think the biggest disapointment of the weekend was when Sasquatch did not show up Saturday night I had the beef jerky ready to entice her and everything

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

Quote:

I think the biggest disapointment of the weekend was when Sasquatch did not show up Saturday night I had the beef jerky ready to entice her and everything

Monstermechanic

It was my first trip up and I brought five guys with me. We couldn’t believe how fast some boats were cruising by us and others, but chalked it up as “guess that’s just what happens up here.” When numerous of you told us that this was a bad year, it just got us excited to see what a good year is. On Fri. afternoon we didn’t do much because we were not on the bottom. Sat. we landed 32 fish with the biggest coming in at 57″. Everyone we talked with seemed to be great people. If this was an awful year, then I can’t wait to see what a good year brings.

Catch’em Fast!

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

It was my first trip up and I brought five guys with me. We couldn’t believe how fast some boats were cruising by us and others, but chalked it up as “guess that’s just what happens up here.” When numerous of you told us that this was a bad year, it just got us excited to see what a good year is. On Fri. afternoon we didn’t do much because we were not on the bottom. Sat. we landed 32 fish with the biggest coming in at 57″. Everyone we talked with seemed to be great people. If this was an awful year, then I can’t wait to see what a good year brings.

Catch’em Fast!

You guy’s must have been the exception then.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Sat. we landed 32 fish with the biggest coming in at 57″.

That’s a great day! Do you mind sharing approximately where you were fishing (i.e. in the bay, river, near Baudette, Clementson)?

Congrats!

Monstermechanic

Let me add a little info. on our learning curve… Fri. was a huge learning process. I don’t know where people were staying on the bottom with 4 ounces, must have been somewhere in four mile, but we started w/ 3 oz. no rollers, then up to six ounces, and still no bottom. We had to have 7-8 ounces to stay down. Sat. we needed 9-10 ounces, and Sun. morning we needed 10-11 ounces! No joke. Yes, we were in a very fast current area, but I would have never thought we neeeded that kind of weight to stay down. It worked though and we landed a lot of fish. Also, we started with about 24″ leaders(80lb. braided) and didn’t have a lot of success. When we closed in on 12-14″ leaders, then we started landing a lot more fish. 3 crawlers on a 3/0 circle hook. It was as good as going to Alaska to fish the running Salmon. Like I said before, I can’t wait to see what it is like during a “good” year.

Catch’em Fast!

Monstermechanic

Ralph,

We caught almost all of our fish near the red marker off Wheeler’s Point. There are rapids directly off the Red marker, we were just south(about 150 yds.) of those in Minnesota waters. Now, we were going to fish just north of it but then I turned on my gps and found that it was Canadian waters. I bet there were over 100 boats fishing Canadian waters. I don’t think they knew, or maybe they were just chancing it?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I appreciate it. I know the exact spot–we spent a bit of time there.

pickeral_boy

Ya gotta realize that there are alot of different groups that were there for the weekend. I think that the IDO group was only about 25% of the numbers on the lake. We were at the Sportsman and the group of 50 young bucks come every year and have their own mini tournament. $20 entry fee. Real loud at night and as we drove up a group were fighting. I think we were the only IDO boat there.

We did notice the same breed of loogins weave through a group of 20 boats like a James Bond boat chase. The second time they clipped us we put our hands up “What are ya doin’ guys?”. They few flew us the bird and never stopped.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I bet they were driving a Monarch boat with a Mercury on it, right?

(Good to see you again Boris!! )

wigwam
    Lake of the Woods, MN

Mr. Tucker…I don’t know who told you we ran out of ketchup, but we had three boxes of ketchup packets. I don’t know if you were just to tired to tear the packets open from catching so many fish, or if you just got some bad info. Next time you need help up here just ask for me…Jean-Paul…I will make sure you have what you need…even if I have to open the packets for you…happy fishing!

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Quote:

even if I have to open the packets for you…happy fishing!

Now that there is service!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

even if I have to open the packets for you.

That’s why we call him “Dad”.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

FYI~ as of 4:30 pm today there are two cabins left for the 2010 Sturgeon Excursion.

I haven’t talked with John at Wheelers Point yet, but I think we’ll be needing him again next year!

sand_burr
    Grasston, MN

I dont think there is two left anymore!

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

not a day goes by that I do not look at Tuck and think of him as “dad”……..So when do I get my snow suit dad!?!

Love, your favorite son

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Mr. Tucker…I don’t know who told you we ran out of ketchup, but we had three boxes of ketchup packets. I don’t know if you were just to tired to tear the packets open from catching so many fish, or if you just got some bad info. Next time you need help up here just ask for me…Jean-Paul…I will make sure you have what you need…even if I have to open the packets for you…happy fishing!

Hahaha! No worries Jean-Paul! It was an inside joke amongst a few of us! Hey, if that is the biggest complaint of the weekend…looks like you all did a GREAT job!!!!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

not a day goes by that I do not look at Tuck and think of him as “dad”……..So when do I get my snow suit dad!?!

Love, your favorite son

You and your twin brother Chappy need to ask your Mom.

burbob
    Hastings,MN

Quote:

Tuck you have two sets of twins?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Quote:

I got around a bit in the military.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

Quote:

Actually he has 3. I just got the blood tests back. Grow and I are also illegitimate bas_ards sired by Dad.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Viewing 26 posts - 31 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.