80# St. Croix Sturgeon

• hanson

I’ve never seen anyone get raked across the coals so bad for releasing a fish.

You can argue the technicalities of transporting the non-tagged sturgeon and the poor handling of the fish, but he still released it, isn’t that what we want?

Here’s a question… How would we react if he actually did tag that fish and take it home???? Probably the same way, right?

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

PierBridge,

Thanks alot. Now I finally understand why you can tell he didn’t have a tag.. It has to be fastened to the narrow portion of the body. Based on the video, it obviously didn’t have a tag. Sorry for the stupid questions.

Not a stupid question at all 2 years ago I bought the Tag thinking I needed it just to fish for Sturgeon…I did buy another Tag this year just in case I can’t revive a 50″ plus fish. I thought an extra $5 for the tag was no big deal.

We are all learning here so keep on asking…

I’m with Dtro although ignorance is no excuse I would be happy with a face to face meeting with the DNR and a warning ticket in this particular case.

rushing
    Mn

I agree Hanson, he is getting raked over the coals pretty bad and I applaud him for trying to release it, but there is a difference in keeping it tied up then hoping it survives than an immediate release. My guess is the only real reason he didn’t try to keep it was he didn’t want it. Either way its a shame that it always seems to be some dumb guy who doesn’t have a clue who always catches a very large fish by mistake.

He must like turtles.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I wouldnt have had a problem if he kept it(legally with a tag). I would have wished it was still swimming.. but he had the right to keep that fish if he had the tag to do so. Im sure it would have been tasty(and healthy) at 50-75 years of age going by the 3/4″ inch of growth per year.

Would you have still felt the same not knowing if the fish didnt look strong while it was released? Are you sure there wasnt substancial damage to the gills where the fish very well might be sitting on the bottom now rotting? Nobody knows, but it shouldnt have been an issue ever to be discussed because it was a thoughtless, illegal act.

It really doesnt make a difference, it happened, and its over with. It will be dealt with one way or another, and I really hope I dont ever see it again. I know that would never happen in my boat, I wouldnt let it.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Here’s a question… How would we react if he actually did tag that fish and take it home???? Probably the same way, right?

No.

I have more of an issue with the way the story played out on live TV and the fact KARE 11 keeps that video posted on thier site. Note, the video they aired on TV was different than the video they are showing on the website. If you didn’t see the TV footage, hold you critisizm.

As far as the DNR goes, I simply sent them a link to this thread and asked the question….. Was this legal? They replied that they were already investigating. The guy brought his own rake to the party!

-J.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

You can argue the technicalities of transporting the non-tagged sturgeon and the poor handling of the fish, but he still released it, isn’t that what we want?

Our laws read the way they do for a reason. I’m not saying this guy is a dumba , but the laws are the way they are to keep the uninformed public from making mistakes that can hut the fishery. You get to keep 1 sturgeon per year. We’re lucky to even get the opportunity to fish for them at all.

The very first time I had ever wet a line for a sturgeon was this spring at the Rainy River. I made sure to read and UNDERSTAND the law before I ever wet a line. And that was one part that I made special note of.

Quote:

Absolutely not. Once again, ot goes back to our laws and why we have them. If this guy gets only a warning or gets punished to the max, I really don’t care, its not my decision, nor am I an expert.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Jon, I agree with your approach. Have them take it off the air and make something more usfefull out of it. Inform people of how to properly hold a sturgeon and to read the laws carefully.

I’m sure people are getting irritated about this post. Just remember, everyone gets a chance to speak. This would be a good post to send down to the DNR. I’m sure that they would apprreciate ALL the input.

hanson

For all you guys fishing the Beanies River Rat Tourny this Saturday on the Croix, make sure you have your Sturgeon Tag before transporting and entering your sturgeon in the “Ugliest Fish” category.

Would hate to see someone else become the subject of a topic like this.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

All this controversy over a sturgeon You guys sound like Bass fisherman…

just trying to lighten up the mood in here.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

entering your sturgeon in the “Ugliest Fish” category.

Do you really think a Sturgeon could possibly defeat the 2 time defending champion Mudcat “flathead” in this category?

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

My vote goes for the Sauger….sick blotchy looking Walleye.

They taste pretty good though

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

While I agree that a law was broken, I think people are being a little harsh here. I have no idea who this guy is, but I think it’s safe to assume he wasn’t doing any of this blatenly to break any laws. Should he be made an example of?….maybe……ticket?…..probably.
    Seriously, a year ago, I had no idea about the tag deal.

100% correct about ignorance is not an excuse, but to call it poaching, is not right in my opinion.

I sent KARE a note as well, but mine (in a nutshell) said, this video you are broadcasting features an illegal fish and while it makes a great story, I’m sure you’ll agree that promoting this is bad judgment, and I hope a retraction is made.

You make a good point DTRO

I also agree with Pierbridge that a warning ticket would be apropriate over a ticket with stiff penalties. I too sent a link of this to Kare11 and let them know I was dissapointed to see this and pointed out that this is the kind of video PETA likes to use against us. I do think that the sturgeon could have survived this and grow more. I am not against keeping fish but hate to see them not being treated with respect. Up on the rainy this spring my father learned what I mean by respecting the fish. We caught many fish over 40 inches in one day and every fish under 40 that we caught were treated the same. Gripped with two hands avoiding the gills and set in the water to be released. I also would but my arm or leg between them and the spots in the boat that might harm them when they thrash. I am sure they could handle tough conditions but if it can be prevented it should!

I hope to see many of you out there on the croix on Saturday!

Happy Fishing
    Aaron

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

I been watching this thread all week and I think if you break the law, you pay the price. After all we all get a regulation book with our licenses. I have seen many people say “I don’t need that” while purchasing their licenses. Ignorance is not a excuse and we all have to learn that. Do you think a warden would let you slide with a untagged deer? It is never going to happen. You know why, it is in the regulation book as a big NO-NO. How long would it have taken him to skim through the Sturgeon sections in the handbook? I am guessing at lot less time than this whole thing that’s going to develope.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I have to admitt, I’m really new to sturgeon fishing. I’ve only been out with Dave Scott to fish sturgeon once this year. BUT even before I went I knew enough to read through the fishing regulations to know that I needed a tag. And like Dave said, “It wouldn’t have happened in his boat!” is a very right on quote. When I hooked my first ever sturgeon with him he showed me how to hold it, how to release it, and everything else I needed to know. Even at only going out the once for sturgeon with him, I feel very comfortable handling these fish now. As for how to catch them, that remains to be seen We’ll see if I get to get out with anyone this weekend. And as an ex-LEO (Changed careers). In my opinion making and example and throwing the book at him is a bit harsh. A warning and a face to face with the DNR Officer should be plenty fine. I’m sure they would educate him on the laws and handling too while they where meeting with him.

hanson

There is another photo of a different sturgeon in the “Sturgeon Photos” topic that was taken inside Beanies. Fish was obviously transported and I do not see a possession tag on that fish either.

Soooooo….illegal??

Seams to me like there are a number of folks who aren’t aware of the regulations regarding transportation & possession.

Also seams like a good place to remind everyone of when the open season is (Sept 1 – Oct 15), and where the open season boundaries are as well (St Croix River from Taylors Falls dam downstream to the mouth at Prescott).

bigfritzzz
    hudson

MONKEY PILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

Quote:

MONKEY PILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright, everybody climb off and lets see if he is still breathing

audemp
    Wi

“And what do we burn apart from witches?…More witches!!!”

I have an idea next time someone catches an eel call up kare 11 and tell them you caught an even bigger sturgeon than the other guy, when they get there throw it at them and say, here’s some news for ya!

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

“And what do we burn apart from witches?…More witches!!!”

I have an idea next time someone catches an eel call up kare 11 and tell them you caught an even bigger sturgeon than the other guy, when they get there throw it at them and say, here’s some news for ya!

From what I hear I am about the only one that will gladly have an eel in my boat. In fact I am going tonight hoping for one!

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

It looked like a fun thing to catch when Dave got his! Pretty good fight!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

From what I hear I am about the only one that will gladly have an eel in my boat. In fact I am going tonight hoping for one!

Ahem…I like eels too. It’s kind of like eating Blaz’en wings from Buff Wild Wings. You know, trying hard to be macho. Making up for inadequacies.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

You know, trying hard to be macho. Making up for inadequacies.

Keep working on it big guy.

Viewing 22 posts - 61 through 82 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.