Broken lines?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Had a great weekend on LOW catching sturgeon. One issue that came up was the fish kept rolling up the lines and breaking the leaders and main line. Both lines where pretty heavy line. 50# spider wire and mono. Have anyone else had a problem with this?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve had a lot of them roll, but none ever break off from it. I use 80lb Power Pro or 20lb Big Game mono. Retie a lot if you use mono.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Really??? Wow…….

We used 50 lbs. Power Pro and 20 lbs. mono leaders. We didn’t have any break off but I replaced the leader a few times due to nicks caused by rolling. I kept our leaders short, around 12-15 inches.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I ended up switching my leaders over to steel leaders and still had one roll up the line and break the main line. Mike was using 80# PP. That looked to be some pretty tough stuff. Might have to try that next time. Other wise I think Im going to make up some steel leaders that should work.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

We used 80lb Power Pro and 25lb XT, had one snap off on the hookset, didn’t check the leader after a big fish. Learned our lesson pretty quick, and retied quite often after that. Wasn’t a problem from there on out.

fiskyknut

Sounds rather weird??? I use 30 pound Power Pro mainline with usually with a 17 pound mono leader and don’t see that happening.

Perhaps it was them little sharp ones doing it?

fiskyknut

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

It was some bigger fish that where doing it. One had to had been a mid 50s fish that broke off near the boat. Had a mid 40s that broke while surfacing, Had a 3rd good sixed one that broke while still trying to get it off the bottom. I did retie my main line several times. We where using 10 to 12″ leaders. That may had been a issue. What length leaders do you guys use?

Anyone heading back up to fish sturgeon this year?

fiskyknut

I’ll use 15 to 20 inches or so usually. Sometimes more. I’ll be out a few more times chasing them Sturgeonfish, was out yesterday below the Manitou and them Sturgeonfish were snappin bigtime. Lot’s to do up here this days, Pike run is in high gear, those Sturgeonfish, and I’m trapping Chubs already so my time is divided pretty good between those 3 things!!!

I’m ready for some fresh Walleye fillets thats for sure!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Welcome home Mike. How did you guys do? Any monsters?

I was using 50# and 80# Tuff Line and either palomar or improved clinch knots and never had a failure (knock on wood).

Rootski

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

We did pretty good Steve. Lots of fish and lots of big fish. It was a great trip.

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

Quote:

Had a great weekend on LOW catching sturgeon

Pictures?

audemp
    Wi

Our boat was using 65, 80, 100 PP and 20 lb mono.

All worked well no break offs. Sounds like a spool of bad line. Id say 65 to 80 pp is about perfect.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Audemp had no faith in my 20lb Trilene Big Game. I had all the faith in the world. I cranked the drag on my 6500C3 as tight as it would go and battled with a 50″ sturgeon, which had no problems peeling off line. I would trust 20lb Big Game anyday.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Trilene Big Game is great line! Its all I used for musky and flathead fishing for years. That line will take a beating and retain strength even when it takes some damage.

Excellent line.

audemp
    Wi

I got to admit it (the 20 lb mono) did suprise me! It seemed so small compared to my overgunned approch of 100 lb PP.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Marc…would you feel better knowing that you had 100 lb Power Pro on or 20 lbs Mono if you hooked into the new state record 100 lbs sturgeon.

She’s up there…just a matter of time.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

No disrespect Ryan.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

No disrespect Ryan.

I’d bet I would have no problems with a 100lb sturgeon on 20lb Big Game. I think a lot of people have become too dependant of superlines. Mono has a lot of advantages, too.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Your right Ryan, people are too dependant on super lines. I use heavy super braid most of the time for the advantages of bite detection, less tackle lost, and for turning big fish from going to bad places. I am finding more of my rigs spooled with mono these days again… I lose some feel, but I gain abbrasion resistence and shock reduction

There are advantages of both.. but if you are using super lines around cover for big fish.. go big or stay home. Heavier mono will hold up better.

audemp
    Wi

I like 100 lb PP for the meer fact that you can have a 47 inch sturgeon on it and a 25 lb anchor on for 15 minutes and not break off!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

47 inch sturgeon on it and a 25 lb anchor on for 15 minutes and not break off!

Never even gave that a thought!

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Quote:

Quote:

47 inch sturgeon on it and a 25 lb anchor on for 15 minutes and not break off!

Never even gave that a thought!

my 80# pp did that ok well maybe it wasn’t 15 minutes with a 25# anchor but then I think my 60″ fish was only on the line for 10- 25 minutes in total what are you doing fighting both a fish and an anchor at the same time?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

what are you doing fighting both a fish and an anchor at the same time?

Sweating, swearing, and nearly having a heart attack Joe and I gave him plenty of crap for that one. Then, he proceded to school us on how to catch big sturgeon .

Here’s Audemp struggling with a nice sturgeon plus a 25 pound anchor. Note that he was so tired he had to sit down .

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.