A Sturgeon story you gotta read (6+ footer)

• croixski

I’ve been fishing the Croix just about exclusively for the last 5 years. Mostly Smallmouth & Musky. Up until today, I’d never even seen a Sturgeon, let alone caught one. For awhile now, I’ve been telling my pops I wanted to catch one, and that sooner or later with all this time on the Croix, I would get bit by one by accident.

Well today we anchored in a deep pool & I threw out a crawler on a circle hook. Gave it 10 min, nothing doing, went to pull my line in, suddenly it takes off like a freight train. Instantly I knew it was a Sturgeon — and a big one. I was only using a heavy bass rod, but fortunately I had some fairly strong power pro on (40 lb?).

Anyway, I was clearly not stopping this fish, so I had my pops pull anchor and start following it with the troller. This went on for several minutes before I even got it up enough to see how huge it was. It was enormous. The water was crystal clear, and my first long look at it, I figured it was 7 ft long. I’ve caught a 52″ & 50″ Musky, and this sturgeon made them tiny in comparison. And here’s the kicker: it was HOOKED IN THE TAIL.

So here I am with a bass rod, trying to pull a 100+ lb fish backwards by the tail. I COULD NOT MOVE THE FISH, we followed it around for a long time, and I kept pressure to attempt to tire him. After several minutes, he tired to the point that he stayed near the surface, as opposed to the initial minutes of deep digging up river, but there was nothing I could do to truly tire him. At any point he could chug off, and there was nothing I could do to hold him back.

Clearly he wasn’t even gonna fit in our musky net, so our first plan was to beach him, but it became clear that there was absolutely no way my under matched tackle could pull that fish backward onto shore — I couldn’t even get him near shore. Eventually he made his way down river were it was only 2 feet deep, and we made the decision to try to net his nose.

So, my 61 y/o pops (with back problems), jumps out the boat into the river and miraculously manages to scoop the fishes nose into the net. It’s a musky net — but not a huge musky net — so practically half the fish is hanging out the net. Standing in the boat, I grab my side of the net with one hand, and the half of the fish hanging out the net by the tail with my other hand, meanwhile my pops is holding his side of the net bag from in the water. The fish is thrashing like crazy and the line breaks almost instantly once the fish is in the net.

At this point, we had about another 3 or 4 seconds, where we could have tried to hail mary heave the fish/net into the boat. Personally I was just thinking of all the chaos that would ensue if we did manage to get it in the boat (and I really didn’t wanna hurt the fish), meanwhile my dad was apparently thinking we should drag him to shore in the net. Well in those 3 seconds of indecision, as we hung onto the net for dear life, the fish thrashed so hard, it broke through the cheap net bag & escaped through the bottom of the net to freedom. We watched it’s fins for a minute or so, as it slowly sauntered away down river through the shallow water.

Yeah, I would have liked a photo, but I honestly didn’t care. We had that fish up on the surface near the boat for so many minutes that I saw all I needed to see, plus I would have never been able to hold it up for a photo anyway. My initial 7 ft guess was surely a little high (as first guesses tend to be), but I can absolutely guarantee it was AT LEAST 6ft, because I had it right up on the surface past the front end of the boat several times and it was LONGER than the boat is wide (a little tri-hull with a 6ft beam).

So…how’s that for a first sturgeon?

ryan_mcneil
    Dodge Center, MN

Haha cool story and congrats

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I think that’s an awesome first post AND first sturgeon!!

I’m sure both of you won’t forget that picture in your mind anytime soon!

MuskyPRIDE

I fish the Croix for muskies and smallies, also. Every time I go I see sturgeon from 30 inches jump to sturgeon that are 60-70 inches. Maybe 20 jump a day? I’ve caught a 57″ down there. My friend has got a 60 1/2. I am guessing you were fishing close to the st croix bridge? Sunds awesome! If you want to catch some sturgeon head out to the Taylors Falls dam and cast out a worm and a sinker. Geat fish and tight lines!!

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Wow! Welcome to ido! Sounds like you had a battle tailhooking a monster!

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

Great Memory with your Pop….

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Ive tail-hooked a 3# channel cat that I would have sworn was a 15# monster… so I know what a tail-hooked fish can be like to fight with.

The fact that you actually (sort-of) landed this 100# monster on bass tackle is a testament to your skill.

What a freaking blast! I bet you were shaking more than a little for a while after that!

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Great story! Its cool to be able to even see a fish of that size and age! My first and biggest was a hair over 37 but through the ice! They are fast and furious! Almost got spooled 3 times before he got stuck at the hole for what seemed like 5 minutes. I was shaking like a tree by the time he came up. Exciting fish to have an experience with that’s for sure!

croixski

I put my 1st sturgeon officially in the boat this weekend. 55″ (on bass gear again). This 1 did fit entirely in the net.

Catching that fish further cements my estimate of the 1 that broke through the net. Actually, I was being overly conservative. That fish was MINNIMUM 2 ft longer than the 55″ and approaching 3 times that fish in body mass. No doubt in my mind.

I was quite sure that fish was approaching 7ft. But when I got home and saw the sturgeon weight chart only went up to 80″, and that a fish over 60″ is most guys personal best, I got overly modest. Didn’t wanna be the guy who almost caught a “80+ incher by accident as his first sturgeon — but I did.

Wish I woulda known then how rare it was, I figured it was a once in a lifetime fish for me, but didn’t realize it would be for almost every Stugeon fisherman in the state! 1 miraculous heave of the net, and i’d prob have a photo for you guys…instead just a fish story…arrrg.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Croixski, I hooked into a beautiful Rainbow Trout that cartwheeled in the sunlight one morning on the Wolf River while fly fishing.

I seldom tell anyone about it because it wasn’t a big fish or anything spectacular (like your monster sturgeon), but when it’s needle time at the Doc or Dentist or even when I have to put up with Jesse, the thought…my own minds eye relives that moment and makes for a much easier time.

Keep that sturgeon memory in your shirt pocket.

Ps you know where she hangs for next year.

buschman
    Pool 2

Thanks for sharing the story! I know just what your talking about. If you ever have this happens again get your hands on its tail and keep it out of the water. She wont go anywhere.

I have see some really big sturgeon now down on the Croix. To be honest I dont doubt you one bit. The biggest I have held was 67×30. I will tell you that next to a 55″ it does look twice the size and well longer than a foot. But really it is well double the weight or more. Any fish that size is a real special sight even if you didn’t get the picture. Good to hear you had the old man out with you. After you catch a few of these muskies dont seem to fight so hard anymore

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

After you catch a few of these muskies dont seem to fight so hard anymore

After you catch just one sturgeon, even a little 35″er, muskies don’t seem to fight hard at all. No other freshwater fish fights like a big ol’ sturgeon.

jameswilson

Wow! That’s a great story. You will have it in your mind forever.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.