Am I making the right choice?

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m trying out the Shimano Tekota 500 to replace the Garcia 7000i’s.

Since I grew up with 7000’s I’m a bit nervous. The look good and all, lighter weight and that’s one feature I’ve been looking for.

Tekota:

* Diecast Aluminum Frame

* Stamped Aluminum Right Sideplate

* Aluminum Braced Graphite Non-Handle Sideplate

* Aluminum Spool

* Rod Clamp

* Manual Clutch

* A-RB (Anti-Rust Bearings)

* Super Stopper

* Assist Stopper

* Dartainium Drag

* Oversized Cast Control Knob

* Clicker

* Septon Handle Grips

* Oversized Clicker Button

* Counter Balanced Handle

* Non-Disengaging Levelwind System)

* Crossbar Forward Design

* Metal Series

* Rated for use with Mono, Fluorocarbon and PowerPro lines

TEK600 Line Retrieve per crank 25 65/325 Max Drag 18 4.2:1 16.0oz

7000i Line Retrieve per crank 22 30/630 Max Drag 17

4.1:1 22.0oz

* Corrosion Resistant Instant Anti-Reverse Bearing

* Six Washer Drag System

* Precision Brass Gears

* Dual Anti-Reverse

* Synchronized Levelwind System

* Line-Out Alarm

I know how the 7000’s perform, has anyone used the Tekota 600?

See what you did Clicker??

luv2rapala

If you don’t like em I will gladly take them off your hands.
    AWESOME salmon trolling reels!
    I only have 1 in my spread but everyone always wants the Tekota to go off next!

dan stien
    Waunakee, Wisconsin

HI Brian, One of my fishing buddies has switched over to those for Salmon. We fish Lake Michigan and he has told me no problems at all with them. I have used on his boat and they are a nice reel. The drag system operates smoothly and withstands the long runs of big (25lbs+) Salmon. I think Shimano is again putting out qaulity reels and you should be happy with them. Those 7000’s are nice reels too, I know how hard it is to switch when you find something that performs well for you. Good Luck.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks guys and FinHunter, you summed it up perfectly.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

If you need someone to help you test them out give a holler. I’m sure there are plenty of us that will volunteer.

Tony K
    Barnes Wi

i have some smaller ones that are 10 plus years old and still work like new. you will love them.

igotone

a Shimano Tekota 600 for catfish??

BK – u b better off with Zebco 808’s

Moores Bait

Before switching to Okuma, I sold a number of the tekota’s to a number of the catfishermen. I also use three on my trolling rods and have no problems with them. I think once you learn how to cast them you will really enjoy it. Hope it works out, and when I join you this summer I get that rod.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Does this mean you’ll have some reasonably priced 7000i’s for sale in the near future BK?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Mr. Breathless…once I learn to cast them?? Please explain more.

I have 4 out of 6 left in the classifies for $99.00, $198 including the St Croix Rods and spools filled with one year old 80 pound Tug O War line.

The one thing I’m not changing up is that Tug O War line. It ALMOST looks brand new after one years use. Good Stuff!

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

We use the Tekota 300 series on 60″+ Rainy River sturgeon so I’m sure you will be happy with a Tekota 600.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Will the 600’s hold 10 colors of lead core ??

And BK I didn’t realize Garcia had been around that long

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

What the heck is lead core?

Hey know! I’m still young at heart. Remember that Jimmy Durante song?

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I watch you guys spend all that money on reels for cats and sturgeon and I just don’t understand where you are coming from. I find myself going the other direction entirely as I gain experience chasing cats and sturgeon. My high end reels are over 10 year old Abu Garcia 6500 that I spent about $90 on years ago. I’ve busted some big fish over the years and I’ve found you don’t need that expensive equipment to get the job done. I recently bought a Shakespeare Arsenal conventional reel (AR15AL) at Fleet Farm on sale for $25. It looks pretty much like that Shimano Tekota 600 thing you are talking about. I’ll bet that $25 Shakespeare will put a big fish in the boat just as well as that $170 reel will. You rookies that are reading these posts and think you need a $170 reel or a $150 St Croix rod to catch cats or sturgeon need to shop around. Best cat rods made don’t cost more than $35 at Walmart and they are white to boot which makes them the best and there are some good reels that will do the job and don’t cost you over $90 if that much. Spend your money on good line and good hooks and you will compete with anybody out there.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m gonna run a few of these this year.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I’m going to give this one a try trolling for some big cats. Only cost $25 – spool it up with 65# PowerPro and have at it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Good input Steve.

I was referring to my boat.

I’ll have to show you the nifty Shimano rods I’m getting for $39.00 sometime.

Brought one home to try the other day. So far Woody, my 35 pound cockapoo hasn’t minded me trying it out on him. Although the FW put a stop to it when I had him in my net.

Believe it or not there are some actually quite a few, that like the feel and looks of some of the more expensive light weight graphite rods out there. ‘Course there are just as many and probably more that will alway prefer the frugal approach and more so just starting out.

That’s ok too as long as they have fun fishing.

clicker

BK, my advice is similar to Steves. I do love my Shimano reel. But when it comes down to it. You are switching to shimanos and paying more for a reel you don’t really need. Id keep your abus running and use them. When the time comes when one bites the dust then look at other reels.

I do know you run your own business and when it comes to equipment I would use the cheapest around that still works. I would hate to have a client get crud or drop a rod with my expensive reel over the side.

I wait till muskie shows, or sports shows to buy my reels. I find it not uncommon to wheel and deal with people and get a better deal then if you were in the store getting a reel.

Steve although your abu’s are still working after many years. Are they made in china or sweden? I have had some abu’s that I have purchased and they were made in china and they did well for a season, but after that they were junk. Plastic parts were wore out and stripped. Clickers were broken as well. I take care of my reels, I maintain them, clean them, and make sure they are handled properly. If it was a quality made abu then no doubt in my mind they are still working like a dream.

One of the main reasons I like my shimano cardiff is because of its size. It is very comparable with the 7000i but not as big. The 7000 is too big for my liking and it usually takes a back seat to my shimano.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Too late. I’ve outfitted my boat with Tekota 600’s.

I think my clients will appreciate it.

It’s just like walleye fishing. Some will pay $450.00 for a rod and reel combo and others won’t see the value and stay with a lesser prices outfit.

They both catch fish and that’s really what it’s all about isn’t it?

I was just talking with a rod manufacturer the other day. They’re coming out with a new graphite rod around the $150. price point for blues, flats and channels because the demand is there.

I’m absolutely thrilled there are companies out there that are actually looking at improving the sport of cat fishing for all of us.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I think your clients will drop one over board and you’ll be out a cool 400 bucks. I agree with Steve but check those for plastic gears and stick with your abu 6500s. I have some of those that are nearly 20 years old and still going strong. I’m upgrading my black 6ft medium heavy ugly sticks to black 7 foot medium heavy ugly sticks.

clicker

Most new abus are made in china and have plastic gears that strip out easily.. There even is a bit of plastic in the 7000’s

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Most new abus are made in china and have plastic gears..

Seriously? Have you ever pulled one apart? I have, and the gears are not plastic. In fact, I think you would be hard-pressed to find a reel with plastic gears; even the really cheap ones. Maybe a plastic gear to drive the worm gear/pawl, but I have never, ever seen plastic drive gears in a reel.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I got a bass pro cat max as a gift a while back. It lasted one trip. I took it apart and bingo plastic gears on a cat reel.

clicker

I am not sure if you have ever reeled without a working level wind. Worm gears, and clicker gears are two vital parts for reels when cat fishing. I have also seen plastic pieces with brass gears pressed onto them.

I do not recall where i said the drive gear was plastic… I said a lot of the gears in there are plastic and strip out easy….

Id be glad to lend you a reel with a broken level wind plastic gear.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Lots of good info shared here today.

Now I’m off to the Bungalow to reflect on todays events.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Clicker, agree to disagree, then. I have never seen it. Maybe you have some crappy reels, but I have worked on a lot of reels and have never seen what you speak of. As for a broken level wind, there is very little stress placed on that gear, so I don’t see how it would strip out, and it would never cost you a fish. A lot of high-end offshore reels don’t even have levelwinds.

swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

I just replaced a pinion gear on a new 6500 that was only used once. Has any one else had this happen? I suspect it was a fluke flaw in the brass or something.

clicker

I did reel in a fish with out the level wind. It just piled up my line and then it stopped reeling because the line piled up to the top of the frame. I didn’t realize it until it got hard to reel and I looked down and saw it piled up.

To each their own. I have it somewhere I will take it apart and try to figure out what the problem is. Take some pics if i find the problem.

Maybe you can figure out what the deal is. My friend has the same reel, I am thinking of giving it to him for parts if i cant figure it out.

Thanks!

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Too late. I’ve outfitted my boat with Tekota 600’s.

You will be pleased with those reels.

They will also bring in more $$ at the auction when its all said and done with

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I knew my less than desirable past with rods and reels would screw me somehow.

You guys are always welcome in my boat. The last thing I’m worried about is a freaking rod going over. I’m more concerned about keeping the people in my boat dry. Rods/reels are easily replaceable.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.