If you could design your own cat boat…

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

for the waters you fish, what would it be?

I’m talking designing unless you know of an over the counter boat that fits your needs for the waters you fish.

Whether you have a boat or not right now really doesn’t matter. I’m looking for your “dream” design.

BBKK
    IA

19′ extra wide, extra deep all welded flat bottom with extra high sides and movable seats so you can position them to fish 4 rods out the back. A 101# electric bow mount for bobber drifting, and a 150-175 4 stroke motor.

That’s mine

stuart
    Mn.

Ultimate cat boat.Stay out all summer in this baby!!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Damn Stewart….that’s the crown jewel of cat boats. I was thinking of something more rustic….something with a rocking chair and spitoon under a KMart table umbrella left open all winter in a coal burning area. Gotta think green now too so that outboard would be replaced with a push-pole and duck-foot. I suppose one of the Edison wind-up cylinder record players could be added for music. Oil/citronella lamp lighting of course.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Since we generally fish the Minnesota, nothing over 17′. Probably a modified V flatbottom with a 50HP 2 stroke and console. A very open, bare bones floor plan with a little bit of storage space for camping gear, preferably in the back.

Should also be able to take it to bigger waters like P4 and the Croix without worrying about being underpowered or killed by tuna boat wakes.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Boat and trailer. A setup of 2 or 3 batteries to hold power for the weekend. It has to have fog lights in front and a handheld search light to shine anywhere looking for whatever. I like a deck on the front of mine to run dittypoles and trotlines and to be able to kneel down in the front to grab roots and whatever and too get out of the boat when shored. A deck infront is where I store my lifejackets that are kept out of the way.

A built in live well that gets water from through the hull and it flows back out the top of the baitwell, always circulating fresh water. Cooler s with bilgepumps in them have a tendency to heat the water up and the bait dosen’t do as well, maybe with a timer to run for 5 minutes then shut off for 10, depending on how much bait your holding. Down here when fishing catfish with alot of bluegills it takes more oxygen. If I had a doublewide 16′ jon, Im a fan of shorter jons, it would have another live well to hold the fish we caught. Motor size down here isn’t that important on inland rivers, theres some evry good catfish holes where you have to go through some shallow water, so my 25 Evie is plenty big. I’ve got to have plywood and carpet in the bottom of my boat so the sound can be kept to a minimum, especially if 1 oz. sinkers are dropped and lawn chairs are moved around.

Good anchors are a must that weight enough to hold your boat in place in swifter water, concrete blocks are in mine, the square sides and corners seem to hold the sand pretty well and if I get one hooked up where I have to cut the rope its no big deal, Im only out a couple bucks. I’ve got to have switches on every wire that goes to something so I can turn it off and on, with a switchplate over the top of the switches to keep the water out of them.

I’ve got a good bilge pump that pumps a whole lot of water incase I rip open a seam on the bottom, its hard to get alot of water out of the boat if the pumps too small, plus a small bucket just incase and befor I get some rags or something in the tear. A fire extinguisher front and back for a just incase. I don’t need two gas tanks so I have just one, if I’m going out all weekend and fishing hard I bring another gas can and leave that in the truck. A tow rope incase I need to be towed or someone else is in need.

My ideal trailor is one with a walkplank down the center so I can pull my boat on if I have too. I’ve got to have carpeted side boards that are used and come in reall handy when the current is swift and the boat dosen’t want to go in straight. With carpeted sideboards you just put the bow of the boat between them and throttle up a little and guide your baot on the trailer, the sideboards do most of the steering. My trailor has its running lights out of the water on posts and these are handy to let me know where the center of the trailor is and when things are dark and the fogs laying on the water. A green light in the post where the winch is is nice too to let me know how far forward I am so I don’t dent the front of the boat. I’ve got a carpeted 4×4 across the front of my trailor that my jonboat bumps up against and it holds the bow tightly when I’m pulling it down the highway, semi drafts are something to contend with sometimes. I’ve got a hand crank winch on the front of the trailor but I want to put on an electric winch that I can run from the upright that holds the winch and that winch is powered off the car battery. I don’t have but want to run a wire off the rear wireing harness of the truck and be able to plug that in to the boats livewell so I can keep my fish alive until I get home. I’d have an exterior live well pump for when I’m on the river and an interior livewell pump for when I’m going down the road. Maybe just one pump with a bipass valve for running down the road. Maybe when I get this all put together, if I do, I’ll post a few pictures.

finman

Starcraft Fishmaster 210- absolutely perfect for me, and the waters I fish! My FW said I could get a new boat the day she gets bigger… I think it’s a win win situation here!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

finman I’m guessing you’re fishing 4?

Why do you like that style for cat fishing?

I’ll have to find a photo.

Certainly not the traditional style.

finman

Well, I have been also known to chase an eye or two as well, maybe a salmon too. Just a perfect ALL around boat for me.

the_grump
    Le Center

Come on guys if your designing your own boat you gotta think comfort and lots of room, someplace to get away from the skeets once in a while.

shawnil

Well, if we had unlimited funds we could all go pretty crazy, like if we won the lottery?!?

my wish list….

I’d probably go with a wide modified V, or a nice pontoon (maybe 20′).

Mod-V…

Something like a Lowe Roughneck 1760 or 1860 would be a real nice cat boat to me. Nice open floor plan. If I went console, I’d like it up front, but I don’t tillers. Roomier without the console.

Have to have plenty of sturdy rod holders accross the back and sides. Need a nice fuel efficient motor, for sure. RiverPro boats are very nice too…

Pontoon

Hmm…nice and cozy with a reliable motor, nice upholstery, and top-shade. Maybe a 20′ Suncruiser. Add a big cooler and plenty of rod holders all around…would be a nice family boat too! Well, if I won the lotter I’d love to get a ‘toon, and keep a smaller boat for exploring tighter places.

Whatever I have, need some decent electronics. At least an Eagle 480 w gps or if money is not an option a Lowrance unit with gps and maybe even high-tech imaging. Why not?

I won’t complain too much about my current setup, other than being due for a motor upgrade, and needing a little more room and storage space. Sturdy and still gets me where I need to go, has plenty of fixed rod holders, my current FishMark 320 works nice…and just added new seats this year!

Shawn

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

A jet boat with a nice deck on the back that has a grill and a couple of seats. In the front a fully enclosed (retractable) area with a table for cards and a couple of comfy bunks. Also in the area a nice flat screen tv with satelite, a gaming console and a laptop with high speed wifi. Might as well put a small dorm fridge and livewell up front.

That’s all I can think of for now.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Come on back when you think of more.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

well, it all depends on the area. but if i was to with a v-hull, it would be a big River Pro style boat, 18-20ft, something with an inboard jet, and thick hulled.

if i was to go outboard – a 2072 MV Jon boat, with a .125 hull, .100 sides, center console and 150 outboard.

the jon boat would be perfect for every where on the river, except for getting into some areas later in the summer – you know where i’m talking about BK – this is where the jet boat would excel.

my mud motor rig works decent, but it has its drawbacks too.

i really like the idea of a center console rig though. really would be nice to open up all sides of the boat, yet still have console steering with a big motor.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

A Captain and First mate so I wouldn’t have to drive and could drink.

I know what you are thinking. Wouldn’t you rather have a couple hot chicks. Short answer is no. I don’t need distractions while I am fishing.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

A hot tub. Oh wait, now i am just getting crazy.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

A hot tub. Oh wait, now i am just getting crazy.

And no chicks…Crazy no…but making me wonder, yes.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Sea Ark already designed it for me but they want a pile of cash for one of these. I want a boat I can wash with no carpet but it still needs to be cool unlike my duck boat which is a hot motor scooter during the daytime.

Procat

Moores Bait

There was a gentleman with the right idea last year or the year before. Where everything could be hosed down and a large removable cutting board off the side for cut baits. Easy trailering, and just the right size for the smaller rivers. If one needed to do pool 3 or 4 for instance I would just call BK if his boat didn’t stink of walleyes.

greg_r
    Woodbury MN

And yes my SKEETER would be in tow. NO I don’t fish for Cats…

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Asking for the perfect boat is like asking about your perfect woman. None really work good for everything and a guy should have at least 2

Mine would have a v front end, large open deck, console steering with a windshield for late night bugs, good interior lighting, vinyl or cleanable floor, a 4 stroke propped motor, and around 32 rod holders give or take

I don’t like jet boats since they do not allow for good control in high current slipping in backwaters. I don’t like flat bottoms for the Mississippi because of the Tuna boats and wakes. In MN it is hard to have only a catfish boat since our season is so short compared to southern states, so any boat has to serve many different purposes.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

And yes my SKEETER would be in tow. NO I don’t fish for Cats…

But you would fish for KITTIES!

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

Asking for the perfect boat is like asking about your perfect woman. None really work good for everything and a guy should have at least 2

Mine would have a v front end, large open deck, console steering with a windshield for late night bugs, good interior lighting, vinyl or cleanable floor, a 4 stroke propped motor, and around 32 rod holders give or take

I don’t like jet boats since they do not allow for good control in high current slipping in backwaters. I don’t like flat bottoms for the Mississippi because of the Tuna boats and wakes. In MN it is hard to have only a catfish boat since our season is so short compared to southern states, so any boat has to serve many different purposes.

Couldn’t agree more and might even suggest 3.

Boats AND women

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Straight from the water to the table

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

If you look on the floor it has 4 sides that are made from canvas, that he put on the table after he beaches it and rolls it over, and then he uses it for his overnight cabin. Hes driving his own cabin to his favorite fishing spot.

stuart
    Mn.

Quote:

If you look on the floor it has 4 sides that are made from canvas, that he put on the table after he beaches it and rolls it over, and then he uses it for his overnight cabin. Hes driving his own cabin to his favorite fishing spot.

Where are his poles,net,beer cooler,food cooler and cooking utensils?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Come on Stuart, have you never watched Survivorman?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.