Not what I was expecting…

• malomike
    River Falls, WI

I had a double with this gar (48″) and a small flathead earlier tonight. Then about 15 min later I’m pretty sure I caught the same gar again. The first time it was caught using cut bait, unfortunately the second time it was tangled in my lines. Anyway, after a short rehab session, the fish swam happily away.

-Mike

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

SWEET photo!

That’s one of the best Long nose photos/fish I’ve seen from a catfisher!

Kinda hard to hang on to I bet huh?

malomike
    River Falls, WI

Thanks BK. It was pretty slimy, and it fell on my leg. I’ve got some pretty good scrapes from its teeth. Unlike a pike, it had fleshy gills, so it wasn’t too bad to hold once I had it up.

-Mike

cat-stevens
    Rochester,MN

Great pic, thanks for sharing. I’ve never caught a gar. Do they put up a good fight?

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

They have teeth like razors !!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Nice! That may be the biggest gar I’ve seen out of the upper Miss!

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Im sooooooo jealous! I want one BAD! Congrats!!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Very cool pic, that is a nice sized gar

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

I’ve caught some but never had the kahunas to take a picture with one. If I ever get one again…..I will try to get a picture now that I know it can be done.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Quote:

Im sooooooo jealous! I want one BAD! Congrats!!!

Ben, if you really want to catch gar, they are all over the place on the MN river. Generally when catfishing you will have lots of them screw around with your bait. Once in a while you will hook one of those sawbills.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

That is way cool. I really want to catch one.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Gar and a shovelnose are on my bucket list.

rbecklund
    Morton, MN

The pic is very nice…the weird part is nobody that I know “wants” to catch them and gets kinda pissy when they are screwing around with their bait lol

malomike
    River Falls, WI

I like catching big fish, and 4 ft is big in my book. Plus, I’ve never caught one before. It put up a pretty great fight. As you can see by the expression on my face, I was pretty stoked.

-Mike

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Same as me Mike.

I do cuss a little when they take a sucker, but I’m toying with the idea of using the cotton or nylon rope lure for the gar that “swarm” my boat.

We had a number of missed fish the other night and I suspected gar. I was asked to set the hook on the next one. When I picked up the rod I could feel thrashing that corresponded with surface splashing in the darkness behind the boat. Not many flatheads do that! LOL!

I think it would be a hoot to catch some while waiting for a flat!

dugout
    Dubuque Ia

Dont want to hijack the thread, but here is another 47″ 12 lber my cousin caught on pool 12. Enjoy the pic.

catman89
    MLPS

crazy lookin things

shawnil

funny thing, guys hate them until they get a big one. Then there’s a little more respect.

I do think it’s a cool propect…catching some missing-link prehistoric fish like that. Never caught a gar, but I’m sure I’ve missed some.

mfreeman451

nice fish, both of you! I speared a few when the MN was flooded out a few different times, a lot of fun..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.