Bluegills & MN/WI Border Water Regs

• cat-stevens
    Rochester,MN

Let’s say I meet a guy from WI and want to take him to go cattin on the Mississippi with me.Since they are legal in his state,could the guy that is a WI resident with a WI liscence use bluegills as bait on my boat? Just one of those “I got nothing better to think about” type questions, because why would I want to fish with anyone from that state

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Certainly.

There’s been occasions when gills have been available and out of state clients have used them with non resident WI licenses.

Just make sure the rods that YOU claim to be yours has legal bait.

Same with # of rods. They can use 3.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

They can use 3.

What da ya mean “they”???

Live/work or did at Evert’s, talk about rain in River Falls, fish the Miss. R. and you still belong to MN????????

Mark

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Don’t forget paying WI State taxes.

My tail is between my legs.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Quote:

Certainly.

There’s been occasions when gills have been available and out of state clients have used them with non resident WI licenses.

On both sides of the river???

cat-stevens
    Rochester,MN

Quote:

Quote:

Certainly.

On both sides of the river???

As far as I know, your resident state laws cover the entire river ,adjacent to your border, not just “your side”

cptyack
    Rosemount, mn

From a run in with the local DNR in Trempeleau area of the mississippi down by winona the entire river is open to your license and even some waters beyond the main channel. I believe he told me 100 yrds from the river is still considered fishable on the other side.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

As much as I hate to agree with Jim, you must follow the rules for the state you are in, which means to me once you cross the border in the imaginary middle of the river, you must follow the MN laws. Even if you have a Wisconsin license. so go ahead and use gills and three lines on the East side of the river if you have a Wisconsin License.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Common misconception at least on P4. The rules of your state are valid from “train track to train track”. This includes portions of tributaries and back waters.

However the WI DNR people in Madison (that answer the phones) will screw us up by saying there’s a center line, the border. Don’t listen to the people in Madison (or St Paul) talk to your local CO. He’s got the ticket book!

Don’t take my word for it…talk to your local CO. He’s got the ticket book!

DrewH
    s/w WI.

I spoke with a Iowa CO about this subject. The boarder line moves back and forth. So he suggested follow the state rules that are the most restrictive. Then if you wonder across the line you will not be violating. Sounds like that guy follows the “rules”. With GPS today I would say he could determine “your location to a reasonable degree of certainty”.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

We have this debate every year. I doubt you will see a warden after 5pm. I asked this question of 3 wardens including the chief warden. The Wisconsin reg says you have to obey the laws of the state you are in and when you cross the line into Minnesota the MN CO could ticket you for not obeying the laws of MN. I’m not saying they would but that is the WDNR. I talked to the pool 9 warden and also a guy that works north of him. The Wisconsin warden isn’t going to ticket you for following Wisconsin Laws. Just because Brian greases the local COs it doesn’t mean it is correct. It is perfectly acceptable to use a Wisconsin or Minnesota license on any area of the border water from track to track but you must obey the laws of the state you are in.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

but you must obey the laws of the state you are in.

Are you going to make me dig up the Statue again?

So I being from MN can fish with sunnies on the WI side? Wrong!

Kev you need to take the CO from P-4 out for breakfast more.

…again, don’t take my word for it (or Kev’s), check in with the CO responsible for the area. HIS opinion is what really matters anyway.

Cheeseheads

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Hate to even respond to this argument, Brian, because of deja vu and all. MN residents have to follow MN laws on boundary waters. WI residents have to follow the laws of the state they are in. A MN warden will never refer to any center line for MN residents, but could conceivably do it for a WI resident on the MN side of the state line. Whether they will or not is a great question, but by the letter of the law, WI residents have to respect MN laws on that side of the river.

Of course I have no idea that this is true and am completely unaware of such laws, especially when I’m on the west side of the channel!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Hate to even respond to this argument, Brian, because of deja vu and all. MN residents have to follow MN laws on boundary waters. WI residents have to follow the laws of the state they are in. A MN warden will never refer to any center line for MN residents, but could conceivably do it for a WI resident on the MN side of the state line. Whether they will or not is a great question, but by the letter of the law, WI residents have to respect MN laws on that side of the river.

Of course I have no idea that this is true and am completely unaware of such laws, especially when I’m on the west side of the channel!

Yep, what he said

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Matt hit bingo….IMO

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Someday the Federal Government is going to step in here and with hold all funding for the fish passage ways until both states can agree on the same rules.

Give me the name and phone number of your CO on the MN side.

I’ll do the leg work.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Exhibit A:
    Straight from CO Alex (forgot last name), the CO for the Washington County area of the St Croix River. CO Alex check with his WI counterpart prior to returning my call.

Note: Any questions about this should be directed to him. PM me and I’ll give you his office line.

For MN and WI LICENSED anglers

Season Starts Sept 1 on the St Croix within the specified boundary’s.

IF YOU PLAN ON HARVESTING OR POSSESSING A LAKE STURGEON Prior to the MN Season (9/4) and are from MN you will need a WI Lake Sturgeon tag.

For all of us catch photo and release people, we can fish from Sept 1st through Oct 15th 2011.

If what you say is true, then a person fishing with a MN license would not be allowed to fish at all for sturgeon on the St Croix River prior to Sept 4th which is what the rules state. Right?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Interpretation is the key. A law can be written, made into law but is up to the enforcement officer and the judge to enforce it the way they see fit. As long as they understand the outstanding reasons for which the laws were made, they will enforce them appropriately.

Thanks to Brian, I’m going to try to confirm for myself what he found out above and begin sturgeon fishing on September 1st.

No one should ever take what is posted on this website as law regardless of who posts it. You are all responsible for your own actions! Use this site as a starting point only.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

No one should ever take what is posted on this website as law regardless of who posts it. You are all responsible for your own actions! Use this site as a starting point only.

No truer words have been spoken.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

As a MN CO do you ticket WI Residents or Non Resident license holders for using bluegills or fishing with 3 lines on the MN side of P-4.

Brian, in regards to your first question. It is ILLEGAL for WI residents and people licensed as non-residents from WI to use Bluegills or fish with 3 lines on the MN side of the river. So yes they could get a ticket if they do it.

Am I wrong in saying that we need to follow the rules of the state we are licensed in from train track to train track. Of course a MN resident must be licensed in MN and WI from WI. Any other state can be licensed from whichever state they chose.

In regards to question number 2. Any person who can legally fish on the border waters would be able to use 3 lines on the WI side and be able to use Bluegills. If you refer to page 48 of the 2011 fishing synopsis it tells you that you can exercise more liberal fishing regulations as long as you are in the waters of the bordering state.

Your other statements about needing to be licensed by the state you live in are correct. Hope this helps, thanks.

Tyler Quandt (Edit: Pool 4 Area CO)

Conservation Officer

On a side note, I’ve just signed up for Border Water Rules 101 Class.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Down here its train track to train track. Wisc. and Illinois rules are applicable to the Iowa railroad tracks, Iowa rules go to the Wisc. and Illinois railroad tracks. It does sound like its the same between Wisconsin and Minnesota tracks, is that right BrianK.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I can’t explain it any better that what’s posted above Mossy.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Quote: In regards to question number 2. Any person who can legally fish on the border waters would be able to use 3 lines on the WI side and be able to use Bluegills. If you refer to page 48 of the 2011 fishing synopsis it tells you that you can exercise more liberal fishing regulations as long as you are in the waters of the bordering state.

WOW!! You learn something new every day. Was I glad to read that. My Lakemaster chip shows exactly where the border line is. I’m adding a third pole to my boat every time I’m out now. As long as the boat is sitting in WI waters I’m adding another bullhead to the water. And I’m going to start doing some bluegill fishing at the start of each trip now. My marina is full of bluegills – I may catch some right off the dock at the start of each trip. This post made my day!! THANKS

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Steve, I don’t have the Rules down loaded which is why I didn’t comment on that. I’m sure you have them…is that what it says?

Ps Tyler is the CO on P4.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Quote:

Steve, I don’t have the Rules down loaded which is why I didn’t comment on that. I’m sure you have them…is that what it says?

Ps Tyler is the CO on P4.

Brian – That is exactly what it says and I quote directly from Page 48, 2011 Minnesota Fishing Regulations:
    When Minnesota’s fishing regulations differ from a bordering state’s regulations, Minnesota residents and persons fishing under a Minnesota nonresident license must comply with the Minnesota regulations and may only exercise the other state’s more liberal fishing privileges in the waters of the bordering state.

I reviewed the 2011 fishing regulations when I bought my license and never caught that wording change. Based on the way that regulation is worded, as long as you are on the WI side of the river, a MN licensed angler could fish 3 lines and use bluegills.

Like I said in my other reply – that Lakemaster chip in my GPS/Sonar shows the MN/WI border and as long as I’m in WI waters I can fish 3 lines with bluegills. Is that AWESOME or what. Brian – every St Croix catman is going to kiss you right on the lips for pointing this out. GOOD JOB!

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Should make for an interesting Sturgeon season.

I was always under the impression that you had to follow YOUR state laws on border waters. So reading this I’m also guessing we can follow ND laws on the red river too (on the ND side of the river)?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Brian, one more quick question to see if you read it the same as I do.

Quote:

When Minnesota’s fishing regulations differ from a bordering state’s regulations, Minnesota residents and persons fishing under a Minnesota nonresident license must comply with the Minnesota regulations and may only exercise the other state’s more liberal fishing privileges in the waters of the bordering state.

Does this mean that I need to fish the WI side of the river for sturgeon from sept. 1-3?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Does this mean that I need to fish the WI side of the river for sturgeon from sept. 1-3?

I specifically asked CO Alex that question.

A licensed angler can fish either side. The only stipulation was if you wanted to harvest/possess a LS. Then you would need a WI from the 1st to the 3rd. After that to harvest possess the MN angler would need a MN tag.

As always, no tag is needed to catch and release LS during the season.

I’m not going to touch the ND thing!

Although it’s listed on P 48 under “BORDER WATERS” and not specific to a individual border.

Now look at what you did TIM!

cat-stevens
    Rochester,MN

I’m off to get some gills for the bait tank as we speak.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Juat a thought before you do so. I believe that it is illegal to posess live game fish in MN. If you are getting them from WI you might be OK.

I’m sorry, transport, not posess.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.