MN DNR Workshop

• fishhead
    Chaska

Quote:

Like I said at the meeting, if you cant reasonably get bait, then you can’t fish. When you can’t find a legal place to get a bullhead, we have gone too far, there needs to be a sensible compromise.

I agree…especialy with “sensible compromise”.

I can’t say that in the past few years I have not aquired bait illegaly.
    But the thing is that you can, I used to, and do.
    Its just the economics or logistics of it.
    If we were buying bait rather than collecting it ourselves, it would be more readily available. (possibly cheaper…doubt it! )
    I used to collect my bait from the river and its tributaries or buy it. Cost me about $40 to $50 a night flatheading.
    So is the sport realy dead without relaxed bait laws or it will just cost us more to participate in the sport?
    And…at what cost to the fishery or other fisheries? I don’t know…none, possible the introduction of zebra muscles or asian carp?

Maybee rather than trying to change the bait laws we should be demanding good bait from our local bait shops?

Another argument is that with relaxed bait laws it will allow others to easily collect bait and the popularity of the sport could explode.
    Two results most likely could happen.
    1) Tough finding any bait
    2) Tough finding any spot to fish

Once again, I’m just trying to look at the big picture and other arguments.
    I still want to use two lines,collect my bait from “infested” waters to use on my “infested” water,(don’t mind changing my water from truck to boat however..No biggy).
    And I am against keeping trophy flatheads, but I do enjoy a good channel cat dinner!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

<pause>I am waiting for a time and a place.

<resume />

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I hear what you are saying loud and clear Dennis, and if we only hold the fishery as ‘status quo’ for the next decade, then we have succeeded.

But..not being able to toss out a castnet for some dead frozen shad to catch a fish that we are just going to release is VERY frustrating.

Heck, I’d be willing to take a certification class to show that I am responsible when transporting bait. If they don’t want to make it across the board, then give those the option that want to put effort forth.

Along the same lines, I’m more than willing to give up my right at a full bag harvest and even a fee to use a second line.

Compromise means that both parties move towards a common goal.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

not being able to toss out a castnet for some dead frozen shad to catch a fish that we are just going to release is VERY frustrating.

Not to mention being used in the same waters as the bait is taken.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.