MN DNR Workshop

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It’s happening tonight.

In Minnesota the land of walleye and every other fish that has scales, the MN DNR is holding it’s first ever Catfish Workshop!

I don’t expect most of the fishing community to get too excited about this, but this will hopefully the start of the DNR lending an ear to the catfish community and at least hearing their concerns about new and old laws that effect our fisher people.

At this springs roundtable it was announced they will hold 1 to 3 workshops to identify and look for ways to correct issues in the catfishing community and just to make the experience better for all. Then will report at the 2012 roundtable.

There will be about 12 participants from around the state attending the workshop in Hutchinson MN.

Kudos to the MN DNR, to Minnesota DNR’s Fisheries Chief, Dirk Peterson for taking the time to listen and act on the suggestion and to Jack Lauer. Regional Fisheries Mgr. for heading this up.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

And many thanks to you, Brian, for suggesting it. Your community work is legendary…

catman87
    Cannon Falls, MN

Thanks brian for all you do! The catfishing future is gonna hopefully better thanks to you and the dnr!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thank you two, but the real “thank you” goes to the people that are holding the workshop and the die hard catters that are giving up an evening to travel to Hutch to try and make a difference.

It’s to them that we should….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The first photo is of Kathy DonCarlos of the DNR keeping our workshop on track.

The brainstorming notes on the wall represented concerns and areas of focus for the group.

The second photo is of the team of DNR employees attending the meeting. There was a short presentation from each region of the state talking about the catfish in their area.

There were 10 stakeholders at the Workshop and 8 DNR representatives. In future workshops I expect the number of DNR employees to shrink and the stakeholder numbers to grow ever so slightly.

One of the items I found interesting is the Red River of The North is bordered by 3 states and they all have the same rules.

Another is the Minnesota River is a Nationally known cat fishery.

And lastly, because of budgets, popularity and loud species specific groups…the DNR has very little data of our fishery with the exception of a portion of the MN River.

More to follow.

rburns
    Wisconsin

Quote:

One of the items I found interesting is the Red River of The North is bordered by 3 states and they all have the same rules.

Another is the Minnesota River is a Nationally known cat fishery.

What kind of bubble are you living in?

I’ve talked to Flathead fishermen in other states who say it should not be allowed to shoot a flathead video or write and flathead article on the Minnesota, because that fishery doesn’t represent reality.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I’ve talked to Flathead fishermen in other states who say it should not be allowed to shoot a flathead video or write and flathead article on the Minnesota, because that fishery doesn’t represent reality.

So they are saying that the Minnesota is not a good fishery, but the videos and articles make it sound like a Mecca? That’s cool. Lets keep it that way.

Or are they saying it doesn’t represent reality because you should be able to fish with 10 poles per man and be able to pull them off their nests with your hands?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I was in the same bubble as a widely (or wildly) respected guide while on the MN, and we were skunked both times. I didn’t really think there were flatheads in the MN.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Nope, not a single one.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Welcome back Rob!

rburns
    Wisconsin

pug, what they meant was that because the MN has such and outstanding flathead population, quantity, quality and size…..that videos shot there can warp the viewer’s expectations about catching flatheads on his own home waters.

Same thing as filming channel cat videos in Lockport without revealing where you are.

My point was to confirm that, yes the Minnesota is indeed a Nationally known flathead mecca.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Where the ell is Lockport? and why doesn’t RB post any fish? I think we should get Pugsly and RB into a two man tourney and watch RB mop the floor with him.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Little bit of risk there Kev. If Pug wins…RB would never hear the end of it.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Naw no risk. I’ve seen Rich fish, he pays close attention to details. My money would be on Rich and I think we could give pug an hour headstart and two extra poles…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

But there in lies the problem. Pug has been so unlucky he’s due just out of dumb luck.

My money goes on the long shot.

Moores Bait

I’ll take a piece of that action Brian

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

pug, what they meant was that because the MN has such and outstanding flathead population, quantity, quality and size…..that videos shot there can warp the viewer’s expectations about catching flatheads on his own home waters.

Same thing as filming channel cat videos in Lockport without revealing where you are.

My point was to confirm that, yes the Minnesota is indeed a Nationally known flathead mecca.

We sure are blessed with a great fishery! I logged flathead # 60 last night. 6 of those over 40lbs and 1 over 50. I hope people don’t think they can just show up and catch fish though. Its a little more than that. not quite in the same caliber as lockport.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

You need a good pair of gloves.

rburns
    Wisconsin

Comparisons to Lockport are hyperbole for sure. It does take a lot more skill, experience and time on the water to catch flatheads on the MN than it does to catch channels at Lockport.

I was just trying to make a wise crack about some of you guys not being aware of just how many catfisherman around the country are jealous of your fishery.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

And here I thought the only people that came from out of state because the fishing is so good… were walleye fisherman.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

Comparisons to Lockport are hyperbole for sure. It does take a lot more skill, experience and time on the water to catch flatheads on the MN than it does to catch channels at Lockport.

I was just trying to make a wise crack about some of you guys not being aware of just how many catfisherman around the country are jealous of your fishery.

time on the water and experience yes… skill that’s debatable I agree with you though I have heard the same thing from other people around the country.

but back to the workshops, I think its a great start. I’m usually pretty critical of the mndnr when it comes to regulations, but I think they did a very good job of taking a cross section of minnesota catfishermen, or atleast tried but some folks couldn’t make it. hopefully this group can make a difference.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I think its a great start.

I would agree with that.

fishhead
    Chaska

Quote:

Quote:

I was in the same bubble as a widely (or wildly) respected guide while on the MN, and we were skunked both times. I didn’t really think there were flatheads in the MN.

Probably should have paid the guy upfront !

fishhead
    Chaska

I just wanted to share with everyone , not just those involved with the workshops but all catfish enthusiast as well, a perspective that some here might not share with me, but I think others should be aware of.
    Keep in mind that I am mostly a MN River angler.

I support the issues that many share who are attending the catfish workshops,are involved with the MNCSA and other catfish enthusiasts.
    That being the two line legislation, and relaxed bait collection and transport laws.
    I am however hesitant, not knowing the outcome of what could possibly happen should we succeed in our goals.( Thats why I think its important to get the DNR’s biologist and fisheries managers input on such matters)
    I’ve been fishing the MN River since the mid 80’s and cats as long as I have been fishing. I believe that the fishery on the MN has improved, and for the whole state.
    But, I have seen the fishing pressure on the stretches of the river that I regularly fish increase 10 fold in the past 10 years.
    I miss the old days when I could go out fish any spot I wanted to and catch a few cats.
    I’m not complaining.
    In a small way its my fault for the promotion of the sport that I have done, but as well its good to see friends and friendly faces down there enjoying the sport.

I will howvever say that with the increasing pressure on our systems ( and I expect it will grow exponentialy from here ) that relaxing our current regulations could have an adverse effect on our fishery.

As a citizen group its our duty to not only support catmens and the public opinon on our regulations but to protect our fishery not only for ourselves and future generations, but out of respect for the fish we target.

So, I believe that we should not percieve the DNR as an obsticle to overcome, rather, we should be willing to work with them and make compromises to our goals to help preserve our sport.

With increasing fishing pressure and relaxed regulation, what do you think will happen to our fishery?

Just playing “devils advocate”….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Probably should have paid the guy upfront

Was it you that told me that or me that told you that?

Catching is so over rated anyway.

fishhead
    Chaska

Quote:

Quote:

Probably should have paid the guy upfront

Was it you that told me that or me that told you that?

Catching is so over rated anyway.

Ya, its what a guys says when he doesn’t put you on fish but enjoys your company.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

So, I believe that we should not perceive the DNR as an obstacle to overcome, rather, we should be willing to work with them and make compromises to our goals to help preserve our sport.

I could have quoted your whole post and agree totally on the DNR not being an obstacle! If they were, we wouldn’t be having the workshops at all. I sure hope I didn’t come across that way.

I understand what your saying and agree in the most part…although I think there’s a compromise in the harvest regulations and using two lines on in land rivers.

The whole bait law thing is another animal.

Just being a devil to the devil’s advocate that doesn’t fish the MN River without a guide.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

With increasing fishing pressure and relaxed regulation, what do you think will happen to our fishery?

Good stuff as always Dennis and thank you for your help and contribution to the Catfish world! Much appreciated and you’ve helped me land a few with some tips and information you’ve provided on the Net over the years.

I know I’m in minority on some of my opinions …. but to answer your question I think we have almost reached our peak of anglers as far as Flathead fishing goes. Yes we’ll always be picking up newbies that will give it a try but we lose a lot of anglers like myself who hardly gets out much if at all any longer due to various reasons, work, family other interest. As we all know you can go a whole year with-out landing a quality Flathead, it’s generally a late night affair which doesn’t work for most fishermen especially during the week. Not ever-body can sit anchored for hours on end with no action to speak of and enjoy themselves like some of us can.

It’s not for everybody and I think a lot of the newer Catfishermen along with some veteran anglers get frustrated and move on to other things. So while we are gaining pressure we are losing quite a bit too IMO.

So I don’t see any-way, what-ever the regs are, were, will be changing the over all health of sport at all. It’s pretty much a catch and release sport as far as Flatheads go. I can think of only one time an angler kept a Flathead, actually he wanted to keep 2 but I fumbled the 2nd one on the exchange “wink, wink” so he only got dinner for 8 that night…

It does get crowded up your guys way for the obvious reason mentioned above, promotion and great fishing being the top two in my opinion so I get and appreciate the concerns for the fishery and sport particularly in your neck of the woods.

Us Mississippi guys just have tons of water, a lot of it un-tapped so I don’t ever see the Mississippi having problems other than the invasive’s which is a whole nother topic.

2-cents..

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Like I said at the meeting, if you cant reasonably get bait, then you can’t fish. When you can’t find a legal place to get a bullhead, we have gone too far, there needs to be a sensible compromise.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.