Any1 Catfishing Mn Cedar to Miss 494 Fri Evening?

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

We are taking my nephews small boat out tomorrow for its first run. It might be nice to know a friend is in the area in case things go wrong.

Haven’t got a spot nailed down yet, but it would be anywhere on the Minnesota from Cedar down to just south of the 494 bridge on the Mississippi.

crazyfast999

Yea, Ill be out. Ill be running in the same area. Know of any good spots?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I told you IDO was off limits to you.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Pug makes plans Crazyfast laughs.

cptyack
    Rosemount, mn

A buddy and I will be down south of there closer to valley fair.

Was on the sip the other night and we had a couple good runs. well see if we can connect tonight!

Moores Bait

Haven’t got a spot nailed down yet, but it would be anywhere on the Minnesota from Cedar down to just south of the 494 bridge on the Mississippi.

Pug, haven’t been down there for a while, but the last time I was the 494 bridge was still on the Minnesota, unless you are talking the 494 bridge in St Paul then I stand corrected. Wish you the best of luck where ever you end up.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Pug, haven’t been down there for a while, but the last time I was the 494 bridge was still on the Minnesota, unless you are talking the 494 bridge in St Paul then I stand corrected. Wish you the best of luck where ever you end up.

Oh yeah, I meant down in Saint Paul. I gave my nephew a Google map with some areas marked and told him to do his homework. You know, I am trying to pass down my wealth of knowledge, so he knows what not to do.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Hey Crazy, you found the key yet? Apparently, they don’t fall far from the tree, even if it is your sister’s tree.

crazyfast999

Yea, its in the boat. Should be a quick day here at work. So go get some of those big bullies we’re using tonight. And a case of beer.

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Quote:

Yea, its in the boat. Should be a quick day here at work. So go get some of those big bullies we’re using tonight. And a case of beer.

What time are we meeting?

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Do I need to bring anything!?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Trout flies.

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Quote:

Trout flies.

nope, worms, trout love them.

Molasses poisoning is nothing to joke about.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Bring a raft to be pulled in. Dave says it is a 14′. We are going to see how comfortable it is for 2, otherwise we’d love a 3rd line in the water. Tough to create a speed trap with 2 lines, but you can with 3.

Maiden voyage has to be 2 people and we’ll see how it goes.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Molasses poisoning is nothing to joke about.

Not to hijack the thread…but it’s your fault.

I told the FW. That was my first mistake. Sounds like she’s going to make a special trip down here.

Good thing I can type with my mouth full.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

So what is the inside story on that one?

Well we made it out and back safely. We made a couple mistakes like not bringing my spotlight. That and not enough beer. But Dave was able to land his first flathead. It may have been small, maybe 5#, but we all know the feeling of our first flathead. If I thought he bugged me about getting out before, I can only imagine what it will be like now.

Sounded like a slow night for most who fished the same stretch. The 2 boats I talked to each caught one only. But the one said he caught one pushing 40#. I forgot to ask if he was an IDOer.

We had a good spot though. 2 guys walked up the shore looking to fish and said we were on a good spot where big fish were caught the night before. The ended up going past us and then turning back. Had I saw them the second time I would have told them if we were all careful, they could fish it from shore too. Also a boat came up on us before turning around.

Another guy came buy who had a big one on and lost his pole to the cat reaching for the net.

Don’t worry about hijacking a thread. It is a specialty of mine.

cptyack
    Rosemount, mn

Yea the guy who lost the pole to a catfish!!!! what a character. I thought that I reccognized you in that boat tucked behind the logjam. We ended up getting one fish almost 30lb channel hit a big bully. Ill get my buddy to share the photos from his cam.
    you coulda borrowed one of our spotlights….we had two 15 mill candle

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Pug is pretty easy to spot. I mean carrying that bass around and all.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

We ended up getting one fish almost 30lb channel

You got my attention!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Waiting for pic of monster channel cat!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Yea the guy who lost the pole to a catfish!!!! what a character. I thought that I reccognized you in that boat tucked behind the logjam. We ended up getting one fish almost 30lb channel hit a big bully. Ill get my buddy to share the photos from his cam.
    you coulda borrowed one of our spotlights….we had two 15 mill candle

Were you the boat that pulled up after us and turned around and fished a little downstream? I don’t know why I just don’t yell out, “IDO?”, when I see a boat.

Had I known there was a 30lb channel down there, we would have gladly swapped spots.

Its strange being on a boat out there now after a few years of not getting out there, especially with this high water. I don’t know what is under water to fish.

We anchored on a log or tree and almost lost the anchor before tying off to the tree. I knew it was stuck when that anchor he has that is not meant for a river, much less a swollen one, held right away.

cptyack
    Rosemount, mn

I cant seem to get my cell phone photo on here from the fish, I am waiting for my buddy who is also and IDO er to post it up himself.

I fished that stretch when I was a little younger from shore all the time, your right being in a boat is a little strange but makes the experience ten times better on the mn river.

Yes, we were the boat that turned around. we were heading right to where you were at. I wanted to head farther south to the monster jam south of valley fair, but we were in my buddies boat. We got the channel closer to the launch on a big barge turn around spot 2:15am.

By the way that guy in the red speed boat who lost the channel, he stopped by us becuase I waived to him. He was jammin his 80’s rock with a mullet. I was at first bummed he came over to us but he ended up giving us a ton of med. suckers.

I might make it out again this weekend, I have a few repairs to make to my lund first before I can put it in again.
    btw what kind of binoculars do you have?
    -Jack

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Binoculars? You sure it wasn’t the camera? I was taking pictures of the set up and the log jam. I like taking pictures of the spot and nature in general when fishing. I think my nephew has a small pair, but I don’t know if he had them or used them that night.

Doh, shouldn’t tell me about spots, you might have to turn around again the next time you are out.

For me it is just weird because it looks a lot different from however many years ago I was last on it. It doesn’t help that the water is way up.

He offered us the suckers. Without an aerator we already had a dozen floaters, so I told him they’d just end up dead.

We also had a guy getting out at the launch ahead of us at Lyndale. I should have asked if he was online.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

I think my nephew has a small pair, but I don’t know if he had them or used them that night.

Snicker

cptyack
    Rosemount, mn

Pug I am not worried about you fishing “my” spots after all this is all public area and we are all welcome to fish all spots. The trick here is to know if the spot was a fluke of the day or a normal producer.

If I find you in a spot I may not turn around next time but pull up right behind you. JK been on the end of that before and let me tell you the down stream boat ended up leaving.

There are so many spots on that stretch of river. I’ll remember the nephews boat for next time. I’ll stop over and see what you got rigged up as your secret bait.

I believe he did have the binocs out that evening, but I think I remember them being in your hands. lol its the positioning of the fore arms that gives it away. im not botherd by this however just thought it was funny.

-Jack

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

If I find you in a spot I may not turn around next time but pull up right behind you.

That’s what I was going to do to Pug Jack!

He’s a sneaky guy with his binocs and all.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Why would I lie about having binocs??? My nephew must have taken his out.

cptyack
    Rosemount, mn

only pushing buttons pug. Please dont get upset, I also may be mistaken, I have just seen many people looking through binocs, and it sure looked like you were scoping our secret cat bait out! I mean you already know my spot now so I was prying to see if I need to re invent my secret bait. All in fun on my end.

-Jack

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.