Metro Bullie Baitshop

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

???

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

Quote:

Quote:

Clarks are definitely bigger now. I’d still like them a bit larger but they are much improved. I’d say 4 to 7″‘s now give or take.

Powderhorn park fishing dockis a sure bet.;) .
    Plus they stocked Channels in there toooo…

Jesus. Unf@#&ing real.

Do I need to carry when I go down to this park.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Do I need to carry when I go down to this park.

That’s for you to know and us to find out…

If you see RyanK just go to the other end of the dock as he seems quite perturbed …

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

So should I wear my red handkerchief down there or my blue one?

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

Probably both, just so you cover all the bases.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

Probably both, just so you cover all the bases.

F that! I’d look like a rat to both of them.

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

I just need to get my hands on a good spot to get bullies.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Arn’t going to be any if you keep posting them on the internet…..

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Biologist was down there today. He said he can’t enforce anything, but said COs last year were giving warnings until people were up to speed on the laws. This year they are giving tickets.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Can you expound on that a bit? I didn’t think there was Milfoil or invasives in that body of water or are you talking about length or numbers here?

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Arn’t going to be any if you keep posting them on the internet…..

some of us were thinking the same about Mille ruins with all the promotion you guys do down there….

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Quote:

This year they are giving tickets.

for what?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

some of us were thinking the same about Mille ruins with all the promotion you guys do down there….

Come on Gary, the April Fools Get Together location?

I thought it was very nice of Fisher Dave to give up a good bite to get everyone together for a good time fishing.

Times have changed.

Moores Bait

Quote:

Can you expound on that a bit? I didn’t think there was Milfoil or invasives in that body of water or are you talking about length or numbers here?

At the top of page 16 in the 2011 Minnesota fishing regulations handbook under “Brazilian Elodea”….Seems a few years back someone thought it good to dump their aquarium (sp) in there.

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Thank you Mr.Moore!

“You must exchange water in bait buckets with tap or spring water prior to leaving any infested waterbody to prevent the spread of invasive or fish diseases.”

Does this solve this specific internet mystery?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Thank you Mr.Moore!

“You must exchange water in bait buckets with tap or spring water prior to leaving any infested waterbody to prevent the spread of invasive or fish diseases.”

Does this solve this specific internet mystery?

That would solve the issue. However, what about what they spit up? Not trying to be confrontational, just playing devil’s advocate. Come to think of it, when I asked, he kind of looked at the water and said who knows what is in it. I just know he didn’t give me the A-OK and that made me nervous.

I tell you what. 1). These bullheads are weak. They are gasping even though I dumped them in clean, dechlorinated water. 2.) Bob I miss the bait shop.

tccat
    Minneapolis, MN.

Quote:

Clarks are definitely bigger now. I’d still like them a bit larger but they are much improved. I’d say 4 to 7″‘s now give or take.

Powderhorn park fishing dockis a sure bet.;) . Plus they stocked Channels in there toooo…

Powderhorn is a good resource but i would ask all who use it to limit the amount they take. This is one of the lakes I use for my youth fishing program. The most important thing is that the kids catch fish even if they’re bullheads. This is a very small lake and could easily be ruined.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t think I mentioned it, but the biologist was actually releasing a mess of sunfish into the lake for the FIN program.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Quote:

Come on Gary, the April Fools Get Together location?

I thought it was very nice of Fisher Dave to give up a good bite to get everyone together for a good time fishing.

Times have changed.

That was a fun event for sure and surely missed by all!

Don’t worry TC I won’t be taking any bullys out there, not becuase it could ever be fished out of bullies “thats just plain crazy to think that” but because it’s infested!

I did notice they were kind of weak to Pugg. Thought it was my water maybe.

Off to the Clark station!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Speaking of bullheads, we had a huge log wash up on shore in front of our cabin this weekend. I went to pull it off to a section of unoccupied shore and found the biggest bullhead I have ever seen had taken up refuge under it! Seriously, it looked like a flathead sitting there, and I sure I have caught flatheads about the same size.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Whats a flathead? I got one “bully” on the opener on BSL that was pushing 3 plus pounds….not sure if it was black or brown but it was insanely huge looking

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Speaking of bullheads, we had a huge log wash up on shore in front of our cabin this weekend. I went to pull it off to a section of unoccupied shore and found the biggest bullhead I have ever seen had taken up refuge under it! Seriously, it looked like a flathead sitting there, and I sure I have caught flatheads about the same size.

Without pictures, it is just a fish story. Or let me guess, bigfoot ran off with your camera seconds earlier?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

If you use Clarks, you best get their phone number. I may never even bother again, since last night they were out of both bullheads AND suckers.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

So what are the rules for stocking these in a baitshop? I mean, if I know the owner and he agrees and I have an endless supply, then what? Seriously…

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

After reading this long thread I really appreciate the freedom of owning my own 100 gallon bullhead tank. I fish 4 to 5 nights a week and always have bait ready to go.

By the time you guys get done driving all over town trying to find bullies to buy you could have caught a dozen from a local pond. If you’ve got a good bullie pond you can catch an evening’s bait requirements in about 20 minutes – beats driving someplace and back and wasting time and money on bait that is usually too small or not even available when you get to the bait shop. Better yet keep a dozen in a big cooler in the garage and just change the water every day. It takes about 10 minutes to do. Beats the time and expense of driving to bait stores every time you want to go fishing. Find yourself a good bullie hole and “don’t tell anybody about it” – That way you will always have bait. A good catfisherman has some secrets that he doesn’t share with anybody.

I haven’t had a problem with having bullheads available all summer. I usually go out and catch about 30 or so each time my bait gets low. It is kind of fun – especially when they are biting good. I started adding salt at each water change and even with all the warm weather have not lost a single bullhead to the crud yet this year. The salt seems to prevent it from happening (Knock on Wood!).

That reminds me, tomorrow I need to go catch a new batch as my bullie supply is getting low.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Steve, it is just convenient having a bait shop that supplies them for me. I’ve kept leftovers in a cooler, and some I have caught, but it is still a hassle. I guess I was just spoiled.

Catching your own takes a lot of time until you find a reliable source. You have to drive there and catch them with no guarantee that they will be biting or easy to catch.

We got the number to Clark’s now, so we can call ahead. It just means sometimes if it is the last minute, we might not be able to go because of the bait situation. I suppose I’ll have to set the cooler up now in the garage and buy them ahead of time. Or better yet, since I am keeping them, catch them ahead of time.

I don’t mean to bag on Clark’s either, I was frustrated. At least someone still tries and I know his supplier of bullheads is not very good.

mahmoodmahi

Czech, you need a special license to trap minnows that will be sold, and a transport permit for your vehicle and then you can sell (or give) them to a licensed minnow dealer.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Steve, it is just convenient having a bait shop that supplies them for me. I’ve kept leftovers in a cooler, and some I have caught, but it is still a hassle. I guess I was just spoiled.

Catching your own takes a lot of time until you find a reliable source. You have to drive there and catch them with no guarantee that they will be biting or easy to catch.

I’m with Pug on this. If I had more free time, I might be more willing to catch bait, but with the limited time I have, I would rather pursue my quarry and just hit up a bait shop on my way to the landing.

Viewing 28 posts - 31 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.