Fresh of YT Ice Fishing For Flatheads!

• Jake_A

Sweet video, although I know that I would NEVER venture out on ice that thin

Wish I knew which river that was on…always wondered if anyone has ever caught one through the ice…now I know

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Nice flat through the ice.

BK, looks like you can now set up guide trips for icing flatheads. Here I thought it was channels only through the ice.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

All he says is a midwest river

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

AOK !!! Pretty cool !!!
    Can I come with you next ice season ?

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

It can’t be Wisconsin. That ice hole would be illegal here. And I hope he marks them holes when he leaves so no one gets wet!

Looks like a blast. He must not know flatheads don’t eat in the winter

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m scratching my head, because I haven’t seen them move very far in the winter.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

I’m scratching my head, because I haven’t seen them move very far in the winter.

And we all know how much time you spen with your head in the hole

Ice hole that is

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Ice hole that is

Good thing that was clarified

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I thought we had a bass forum.

Jake_A

Anyone ever ate a flathead? I never would channels are a ok, but flatheads just look like mud….

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I did eat one once… Caught it out of a small river up NW of the cities…

FANTASTIC !!!

It was about 5 or 6 pounds and I caught him on a chartreuse fuzzy grub. I was pitching to a current break, where the minnows were breaking the surface…

Scun him out…fillet’d him up and fried in some light oil and light batter…

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Flathead be good. The meat is redder than a channel’s… channel cat meat tends toward the white, like your normal fish. A flattie’s meat is almost red like beef.

And the funny thing about a flathead is that there’s only meat in about 2/3 of the body… the rest is freakin MOUTH. Good good those things are just build to eat big prey.

Can’t wait to hook into a few this year!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Dave, one of these days Herb’s going to have to teach you the difference between a channel cat and a flathead.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I’ll take that lesson…

And show that I too know more then my )*(&(^&*%$^@#&^%$*&(

think

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

That was like watching videos of your aunt Mable’s vacation to Yellowstone.

Bouncing a jig with a treble stinger hook over the rocks??? Snagging?? I just don’t get it. It looked like the fish were just dead weight.

I think I would prefer to catch a wet sock, and save the flatheads for the summer when they actually fight.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Bouncing a jig with a treble stinger hook over the rocks??? Snagging?? I just don’t get it. It looked like the fish were just dead weight.

You watch a different video from the one I watched then
    He removed the jig from the pie hole on all three fish and, I have never seen a wet sock pull drag!

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Snag fish…..hook into mouth….shove back down hole…..roll film

Since Judd grew up in Chaska and that spot looks awfully familiar you can probably guess what river.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Snag fish…..hook into mouth….shove back down hole…..roll film

I didn’t want to say that with out hearing the audio and my nose was two inches away from the screen when he set the hook. ‘Course I can’t “see the feel” of a fish on this side of the computer.

dr._flathead

I dont know, I am not sold on the fact its a fake, nor real. We all know their metabolism slows, as does their feedings, but does that automatically mean they were snagged? I dont think so. Just becuase Brians videos show them particular fish ignoring a sucker minnow during the winter mean this video is a fake? I dont think so.

Just because nobody here has done this, dont mean its a fake.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

No I’m not 100% sure of the snagging thing. I was just providing an avenue in which a fish could be filmed like that. Nobody really knows for sure. I’ve had plenty of logs hit just like a walleye when jigging. We may never know. Nothing wrong with it, nothing illegal, but the video as presented might be a little misleading.

I found it more than a coincidence that he graduated from Chaska, was winter fishing for Flatheads on a familiar looking river and catching Sturgeon on what appears to be a community hole.

How many Northern states have “Tags” for Sturgeon.

It all adds up

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Ol’ Smokey blows it again.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Dr. Flathead, as Judd says in his first video they are just developing this type of fishing. Might take note of the 2nd hole in the ice also.

I never bet more than .25 at a time…HOWEVER…I have a crisp $100. bill that will go to the guy that can “jig” up three flats in a 8 hour period, hooked in the mouth. I would like to bring a CO along as well to watch over “things”.

I would think that the hours and hours of having a camera dropped over the side of a boat, one of the flats would have started swimming up stream or down stream away from the “pile” for dinner, a nap or a rest stop by itself.

But then, I have this video called “Frosty Flatheads”

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Totally agree BK.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

at the very least, it will server as another example for a reason to close the flathead season in the winter months.

dr._flathead

Again, Just because theres vidoe of wintering Flatheads ignoring a sucker minnow does not mean all Flatheads will not feed. They have to eat at some point. Sure, They eat less, butstill have to eat.

They still catch Flatheads in MO in December, in cold water, so it’s not impossible.

I think everyone is too quick to point the finger at snagging when theres the possibilty they were not snagged.

Again, Im not convinced either way that they were/were not snagged, but lets not jump to conclusions with both feet here!

Carry On….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I will raise my conclusion to $500.00.

It’s not just the sucker, it’s not just the dead shad, it’s the combination of those two plus the fact that in my little window they are not swimming around looking for, well anything.

I thought I posted the results of a experiment completed in a controlled setting? Below 40 degrees F the flatheads did not eat after they were acclimated to the temp.

Can I tell by these videos they did or did not bite? Absolutely not. Do a little research and put your nose to a camera for a few hours in the winter and it’s going to be pretty hard to swallow.

Moving on.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.