Rainy River Weekend Update

• orangewhip3x
    Blaine

Drove up to Rainy Friday morning under bright sunshine. Put the boat in at the park in Baudette at 2pm. Fished until 6pm. ZERO walleyes. I consulted with at least a dozen other fishermen. The best catch I heard of was 6 walleyes for the entire day. The river was open all the way to Wheelers point on Friday. Saturday was similar. 2 walleyes and one large sturgeon. That was fun. The lake was open all the way to the Gap on Saturday afternoon. Since the fishing was slow we spent more time messing around watching the sturgeon fishermen hauling in one fish after another. Most boats had a dozen or more sturgeon. maybe I should change up and give that a serious try?

The resort owner told me upon leaving that this is the worst walleye run they have seen in the 68 years they have been there. They didn’t attribute it to dirty water but rather the FACT…that the emerald shiners didn’t run up the river this year for one reason or another. I don’t know…it was just not the Rainy river of the past where even an amatuer fisherman like me could have a 40 fish / day catch.

I have no idea how big the sturgeon was…I hand landed it and really struggled to get it out of the water. It was well over 50 inches and almost threw my back out getting it in. For perspective…I’m 6’2″, 230lbs with a down jacket and rain coat on. The pictures out on the lake are at the ice pack at the Gap and looking back in at all the boats toward Wheeler’s Point…Until next year.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I once boated a 52 incher in Kab, it was 33 lbs.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thank for supporting her weight! Lifting those big girls by their gills can’t be doing them any good.

Good update for the guys going up this weekend, sounds like they’ll have some good fishing. Hopefully the “crap” from the Forks will have cleaned out by then.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Reports I’ve read were that the Sturgeon bite was out of control this past weekend. One boat had 15 over 50″

I’ve seen pics of mid to high 60’s and someone mentioned a 75″er.

3 more days…..

orangewhip3x
    Blaine

I would say I personally saw no less than 100 sturgeon caught while jigging for walleyes. They were indeed biting out of control. In may cases I saw boats with doubles. The primary catch was happening from Wheeler’s Point out toward the gap until it gets shallow. Maybe 200 or so boats piled up in there…everyone was having success. On another note…I didn’t see a single walleye caught other than the 2 in my boat. The nets were only moving for the big girls.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

One of the best days I ever had Sturgeon fishing was out in the bay up against the ice pak like that. Too bad a guy can’t time it every year.

Hopefully the majority of the boats out there packed their heavy gear and didn’t just change over and use walleye rods.

kroger3
    blaine mn

on friday had a 54″ go 38lb 9oz

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

I just hope they keep biting till the end of the month, I can see me trying to explain to the wife that we should have been there last week…

Al

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

It was well over 50 inches and almost threw my back out getting it in. For perspective…I’m 6’2″, 230lbs with a down jacket and rain coat on.

Hmmm 6’2″ 230

end of comment.

Nice fish though Mr. R

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.